DIY perpetual cabinet build. Q&A

• Thread starter OldSmokie76
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

The limit on 40" could be expanded though. My first cabinet is already built at 80". You're correct about building myself, going full 8' tall. This will be in my garage so i do have the height. Just using an existing garage cabinet built by somebody else.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I am only hoping to achieve two separate flower areas to have a stagarded harvest every four weeks or so. All contained in this one cabinet. I know limiting the vertical will be difficult, but with low profile lighting such as qboards or strips i hope to conserve the headspace as much as possible. As for container size, i don't grow hydro. Current 3 gal fabric pots i use are only 10" high. I'm guessing I'll end up with 20" for plant growth. This would mean lots of training in veg and probably implementing a scrog net. It would also mean smaller, multiple plants vs one large. Figuring on four plants per 2.5'x3' flower area. Topped, spread canopy to fill the footprint. It's all a theory and probably will be problematic, but my end goal is a single, self-contained perpetual cabinet. I've been using multiple tents for the past couple years and realized i could possibly scale it back a little and get what i need from it.

What strains are you planning on running? Some are shorter by genetic design, than others. My Train Wreck has a published height of 60-100 cm. However the final height was over 4.5 feet. WAY over 100 cm (39in).
🍻 😎

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

What strains are you planning on running? Some are shorter by genetic design, than others. My Train Wreck has a published height of 60-100 cm. However the final height was over 4.5 feet. WAY over 100 cm (39in).
🍻 😎
I haven't decided specifically yet, but it's my experience indica dominant strains tend to grow more compact and stout than sativa. The Deathstar i kept for the past two years demonstrated this. Along side a Strawberry Cough (heavy leaning sativa) no question in growth differences. I'm probably gonna select indica dominant strains to begin.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

🍻 😎
What light temp are you flowering under?

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I haven't decided specifically yet, but it's my experience indica dominant strains tend to grow more compact and stout than sativa. The Deathstar i kept for the past two years demonstrated this. Along side a Strawberry Cough (heavy leaning sativa) no question in growth differences. I'm probably gonna select indica dominant strains to begin.

I would be very interested in your results. I have been looking for something short, with a good yield and reasonable (15-20% thc). I am still growing autos, but i am seriously headed toward photo-periods just for the species options. I wanted to work out my technique, etc on autos then graduate to photos.

Thanks for the info. 🍻

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
What light temp are you flowering under?

I use Kind K3 series LED's, i believe they are 6.5K in wavelength. i have the 450w in the grow cabinet and a 300w and a 600w in the flower cabinet. They add 8-15 degrees to the temp of the cabinet (higher near the top of the tent or cabinet). You will need a temp. controlled fan to bring down the internal heat once your set-point is reached. Don't know what your RH variations are where you live but you may need a humidifier with RH% sensor (back to the T4/T6 discussion).

🍻

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

All lot of my environmentals of this box are gonna be completely new to me and adjusting as i go. I'm used to old school hps in a tent. Basement grow. No humidity controls and winging it. Hot humid Summers and cooler dry Winters. Fluctuating in between. I didn't pay as much attention to controlling the rh as i will to this box. Admittedly not growing to full potential. Learned a lot.

I will be focusing on air exchange and rh/temp controls. Plan to divide cabinet into respective sections and establish a filter and exhaust. Once that is in place, lights. Establish some baseline temp/rh readings with lights running and troubleshoot from there. My fear is ambient temp/rh fluctuations of garage will create some issue at times.

I will definitely showcase the build and set up once i obtain the cabinet.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
All lot of my environmentals of this box are gonna be completely new to me and adjusting as i go. I'm used to old school hps in a tent. Basement grow. No humidity controls and winging it. Hot humid Summers and cooler dry Winters. Fluctuating in between. I didn't pay as much attention to controlling the rh as i will to this box. Admittedly not growing to full potential. Learned a lot.

I will be focusing on air exchange and rh/temp controls. Plan to divide cabinet into respective sections and establish a filter and exhaust. Once that is in place, lights. Establish some baseline temp/rh readings with lights running and troubleshoot from there. My fear is ambient temp/rh fluctuations of garage will create some issue at times.

I will definitely showcase the build and set up once i obtain the cabinet.

A T4 w/controller will go a long way in helping with that. 🍻 and that is where the pulse came in handy. I got tired of tracking daily numbers on a spreadsheet and doing the math. The PIA factor involved with the statistics keeping, itself became a PIA! 😎🍻

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Random design thought...

The internals such as ducting, fan, and filter may encroach on space. I may reconsider a single, larger flower area. Dedicating the bottom half of cabinet to flower. (2.5'x5'x4.5') This will leave the upper portion for clones and veg, along with the above mentioned internals.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Random design thought...

The internals such as ducting, fan, and filter may encroach on space. I may reconsider a single, larger flower area. Dedicating the bottom half of cabinet to flower. (2.5'x5'x4.5') This will leave the upper portion for clones and veg, along with the above mentioned internals.

I had the same issue: I simply switched the fans and filters to the outside. I had to perform surgery on the fans to reverse the thrust. Also removed the shelf.
🍻 🤞

I use the 2x2 for grow and the 2x4 for flower. The top photo was taken while i was waiting on my 2x4 to be delivered.

2019 11 25 17 31 04
2019 11 25 17 28 05
2019 11 25 17 28 29
2019 11 25 17 28 52
Last edited:
OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Well, this pandemic shit has been a bummer. Lol. Finally obtained the cabinet I originally mentioned. Holy hell she's a big heavy bitch. Old garage cabinet 25"x58"x80". Plan to keep in the garage. Currently considering design options. Changing shelving and planning to insulate with foam board. Install air exchange ports and ducting. Finish with a reflective option. That's just the box itself. Lights and temp control next step.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Little idea of this big ol thing. I've used tents and love the mobility and ease, but I've always wanted to build a wooden cabinet. Stealth as just a garage cabinet. Not an obvious tent. Lol. So, lots of demo to do.

20200718 162504
20200718 162444
Top Bottom