DIY PVC frame grow tents?

• Thread starter Ythor
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Y

Ythor

I tried searching for PVC in this forum, but nothing came up; apologies if this has already been asked.

Can PVC pipe be used to make a frame for a DIY grow tent, or is there some reason why folks seem to prefer wood? I suppose strength is an issue, but if I don't go with huge lights, can I get away with PVC rather than wood?

M

mrdizzle

2in pvc is real strong, and could def be designed to hold some serious weight

tokinupon1

tokinupon1

I reinforced my cheapo tent with PVC. Reason people use wood is its easy, cheap and you can staple your tent material right to it. Alot of people are afraid of PVC because some cheap tents were made out of china man PVC which off gassed toxic fumes that killed plants. I just go with the quality hot water PVC never had any issues. I also don't even think in the us you can get the non safe PVC but I'm not sure. PVC would work just fine but def not the cheapest route.

A

agentorange

just use the real stuff, 1.5 or 2" sch 40 pvc from lowes/HD and it will work great. glue joints together in strategic areas (so that you can break it down if need be) and it will be plenty strong, and the stuff is pretty cheap.. good alternative to wood especially since all you really need to construct is a saw.

using PVC for scrog screens would work well Id think as well

Y

Ythor

good alternative to wood especially since all you really need to construct is a saw.

Saw, heck. I just have the big "pruning shear" cutters that make two pieces from one in a flash.

I've seen some clever screens made with PVC frames, and then little eye loops screwed to the inside, laced up with twine or whatever to make a pretty good screen. Never tried to make one, but it looks good.

Thanks, everyone!

G

GirlCarny

Somewhere around post 9 shows how I built mine. I have it bolted to one wall for stability. If I did not do that I would have had to add a bunch more pieces for lateral support. Used 1 1/2 inch pvc Like someone else said Its selectively glued together so I can pull it down if needed. Just covered the whole thing with that black and white poly and double sided taped all the corners together. The only thing is I didnt trust it enough to hang a air filter from it so I have it sitting on a shelf. Other than that Im pretty happy with it. If I remember the pvc 90 degree turns and the T fittings all cost less than 50 dollars. Go for it !

ttystikk

ttystikk

PVC for SCROG; works great!

just use the real stuff, 1.5 or 2" sch 40 pvc from lowes/HD and it will work great. glue joints together in strategic areas (so that you can break it down if need be) and it will be plenty strong, and the stuff is pretty cheap.. good alternative to wood especially since all you really need to construct is a saw.

Saw, heck. I just have the big "pruning shear" cutters that make two pieces from one in a flash.

I've seen some clever screens made with PVC frames, and then little eye loops screwed to the inside, laced up with twine or whatever to make a pretty good screen. Never tried to make one, but it looks good.

Thanks, everyone!

Here's one of the best SCGROG screens I've ever seen on this site, and the guy built it with PVC, just as you suggested:

A

agentorange

thats really cool, add pvc as it grows. pvc is so versatile! and to think I've only used it for plumbing, potato cannons and ladder golf racks

sky high

sky high

I made a 5'W x 10'L x 7'H cube out of 3/4" pvc and panda plastic and use it as my veg tent. No glue.....just pounded together. Inside is an 8 light t-5 and a 600 MH in a cool tube...and it holds the weight AOK.

Gorilla tape is yer friend.

s h

Top Bottom