DIY Seedling / early veg chamber

• Thread starter Dankinator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Dankinator

So I’ve had an idea in the back of my head for months and I’ve finally decided to go with it. I want to have rotating crop cycles. I run a 4x2 for seeds, veg, and flowering. I have a cabinet that is about 2 feet deep 2 feet tall and 1 foot wide. I need some help deciding how to set it up and what exhaust/ intake system would serve me best. Any tips or suggestions welcome! grow area pictures below

Diy seedling  early veg chamber
E

elusiveshame

For seedlings, you don't need too much really. You don't need fans blowing on them, they don't smell, and they don't need a whole lot of light.

With a 2'x2'x1' space, you're not going to fit much in there for ventilation (or even lighting)

What I would personally do is use that space for seedlings, have a light source on the outside that focuses in, and maybe a fan blowing lightly into the space from the outside just to keep airflow moving and to help stabilize temperature and humidity. You could probably use a standard CFL or 2 here since it would only be for sprouting and getting them to grow a little bit before moving them to a larger area. Since the space is white, I don't think you'll need to put anything down like mylar or any reflective surface covering.

Once the plants get to the veg stage, they need actual light, and I don't think you'll be able to adequately provide lighting in there while keeping temperature and humidity where you want it (I think it will heat up quite a bit, and that small of an area getting damp/humid could cause mold issues within the cabinet itself since it's wood and/or particle board).

You could do some tests with a thermometer and hygrometer, plus some CFL lights to see what the temp and humidity swings in there would be, but largely, I'd probably just use it to sprout the plants, and when they get a few inches, move them to a better suited area.

Just my $0.02 on it. Good luck! Let us know how it goes

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
So I’ve had an idea in the back of my head for months and I’ve finally decided to go with it. I want to have rotating crop cycles. I run a 4x2 for seeds, veg, and flowering. I have a cabinet that is about 2 feet deep 2 feet tall and 1 foot wide. I need some help deciding how to set it up and what exhaust/ intake system would serve me best. Any tips or suggestions welcome! grow area pictures below
I built a 2'x2'x2'box for clones and sprouts. I used a 12v fan I pulled from an old xbox for exhaust with pasive air intake & 2 - 2ft t5 lights. The lights kept the box warm and it worked well until they were too big for the box and it gets small quick as they grow fast. once they are out of solo cups there's not very much room and the plants are still too small to flip so I needed another space. Once I made a larger space I only use the 2x22x box to dry my buds in now.

E

elusiveshame

I built a 2'x2'x2'box for clones and sprouts. I used a 12v fan I pulled from an old xbox for exhaust with pasive air intake & 2 - 2ft t5 lights. The lights kept the box warm and it worked well until they were too big for the box and it gets small quick as they grow fast. once they are out of solo cups there's not very much room and the plants are still too small to flip so I needed another space. Once I made a larger space I only use the 2x22x box to dry my buds in now.
Yeah, I was thinking maybe a PC fan might be enough, but I'm not sure if OP is willing to drill holes/run electricity in there.

The space is really the main issue. Like you mention, once they outgrow the solo cup, there's not going to be enough room in there for all of them once repotted, and even if you could fit some in there, the veg phase will outgrow that in a few days I would guess.

D

Dankinator

For seedlings, you don't need too much really. You don't need fans blowing on them, they don't smell, and they don't need a whole lot of light.

With a 2'x2'x1' space, you're not going to fit much in there for ventilation (or even lighting)

What I would personally do is use that space for seedlings, have a light source on the outside that focuses in, and maybe a fan blowing lightly into the space from the outside just to keep airflow moving and to help stabilize temperature and humidity. You could probably use a standard CFL or 2 here since it would only be for sprouting and getting them to grow a little bit before moving them to a larger area. Since the space is white, I don't think you'll need to put anything down like mylar or any reflective surface covering.

Once the plants get to the veg stage, they need actual light, and I don't think you'll be able to adequately provide lighting in there while keeping temperature and humidity where you want it (I think it will heat up quite a bit, and that small of an area getting damp/humid could cause mold issues within the cabinet itself since it's wood and/or particle board).

You could do some tests with a thermometer and hygrometer, plus some CFL lights to see what the temp and humidity swings in there would be, but largely, I'd probably just use it to sprout the plants, and when they get a few inches, move them to a better suited area.

Just my $0.02 on it. Good luck! Let us know how it goes
My plan has changed slightly, I have another cabinet that is about 5feet tall 1.5 feet wide and 4 feet deep. I ordered an ac infinity av cooling system with 4 80mm fans. I plan to use led as i have an abundance of boards ranging to all sizes and life stages. I plan to keep seedlings in this cabinet 1-4 weeks then transfer into my 4x2 tent.

D

Dankinator

Yeah, I was thinking maybe a PC fan might be enough, but I'm not sure if OP is willing to drill holes/run electricity in there.

The space is really the main issue. Like you mention, once they outgrow the solo cup, there's not going to be enough room in there for all of them once repotted, and even if you could fit some in there, the veg phase will outgrow that in a few days I would guess.
Photo 1 is the av cooler I ordered, picture 2 is a 3D rendering of the space I have decided to use black represents vents gray is temp controller. I plan to drill into the cabinet to mount 2 intake 80mm fans and 2 80mm exhaust fans and make this a permanent fixture in my home.

738DA9B2 FD23 4E49 8627 3FC437B1BFF2
9D2ED488 11EC 4D45 9EE0 9B7AA06D54D1
E

elusiveshame

Looks like that’ll be a nice setup. Let us know how that cooling system works for you. It looks like a good solution.

D

Dankinator

Looks like that’ll be a nice setup. Let us know how that cooling system works for you. It looks like a good solution.
Okay so here is the final result. The intake is capable of moving 56cfm so is the exhaust, my circulation fan does 26cfm(I may return and upgrade to a 40-50cfm 120mm) flowering would be possible but would require an extra exhaust fan. Overall maintaining 70-75 has been no problem with an adjustable light.

P

PahPahCee

Nice! What’s the actual watt of the LED? I’d worry it’s too much light for a small space.

A lil cutting of a black charcoal filter could cover up the air intakes - blocking the light and adding mild filtration. A rubber gasket would seal up the door real well. Overall looks killer for a small set up.

D

Dankinator

Nice! What’s the actual watt of the LED? I’d worry it’s too much light for a small space.

A lil cutting of a black charcoal filter could cover up the air intakes - blocking the light and adding mild filtration. A rubber gasket would seal up the door real well. Overall looks killer for a small set up.
It’s a 120w bloomspect. It has two switches to adjust reds and blues

Top Bottom