DIY Sound Proof Box To silemnce your Inline Fan

• Thread starter darkpink
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PwnanObrien

PwnanObrien

Nice dude. Another option is to buy the big Igloo Ice Cube square coolers and cut out the sides. The cooler's already insulated/soundproof, the lid closes down securing a 12" blower and it has handles to hang it with. Works perfect.

Papa

Papa

Supporter
Just a quick question... what is this material called & what is it made from?

that's rubber gasket material. you can usually find some in the plumbing dept at HD. "DANCO 6 in. x 6 in. Rubber Packing Sheets (2-Pack)"

J

Joeyhazey

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I'd love to know what you used for soundproofing ?

J

Joeyhazey

Oh looks like he's stuck something to the inside of the box in last picture, thanks for reply dude .

R

Robert Baker

Thankyou. MDF, Medium density fiber board. its a type of particle board made of small particles of wood like saw dust compressed together with a hardening compound. HD and lowes carry it roughly $25-$35 a sheet depending where you live and the thickness you choose. no problems at all except its too quiet now, lol. these fans are built for heat applications, they cool themself in this case. mufflers are good addition also. i was gonna make one of those too but after installing this it wasnt necessary anymore.

dp
just dump loose insulation around the fan instead. cheaper and faster.

Smokeingdog

Smokeingdog

View attachment 201665

If you need dimensions lmk. long as your making the same enclosure with same materials they will work for you.

I cant even hear the fan run now! sometimes i put my hand on the box just to make sure its on, my ballast to the right are WAY louder then the exhaust fan!

side note, another tip is the insulated duct. not only does it silence the roaring air moving through the duct it shilds the surrounding enviornment from heat aswell and prevents the duct from turning into a furnace!

also use rigid 90 deg elbows for bends. bending duct into turns slows down cfm 20-30%. its more efficient using rigid elbows for turns.

dp
Cracking silencer box,i seen a very similar one a few years back,there wasn't alot of difference, the 1 i seen, the box was filled with egg foam an your wright about them being silent, you can barely hear the extractor pulling air.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Gluing or stapling some carpet on the outside should help dampen the sound.

I

itsme

Have you thought about attaching the fan to the interior of the box with shock/bungee cord too? Help prevent resonance to the outer box a little more.

D

Danolo

I'm getting my fan tomorrow... and then I'll be building one of these....

Giants Fan

Giants Fan

Anyone have any idea if this box caught fire? lol...I suspect not but I'm going to build one and was just a little concerned about that. Not much, just a little. Sorry to resurrect this but it's a good thread and one of the only places on the internet where it's done.

incogneato

incogneato

Anyone have any idea if this box caught fire? lol...I suspect not but I'm going to build one and was just a little concerned about that. Not much, just a little. Sorry to resurrect this but it's a good thread and one of the only places on the internet where it's done.
Its in an earlier post but inline fans are self cooling. As log as theres no obstruction it will operate fine.

Giants Fan

Giants Fan

I packed my box with a fire retardant, up to 2600 degrees, blanket just in case lol.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

I made a similar box. Same principals but I lined the inside of box with that foam egg carton looking mattress pad stuff. Been running non stop for over six months. No heat what do ever. Keep the flow unrestricted and no issues.

Giants Fan

Giants Fan

I made a similar box. Same principals but I lined the inside of box with that foam egg carton looking mattress pad stuff. Been running non stop for over six months. No heat what do ever. Keep the flow unrestricted and no issues.
Thanks! I've got mine inside a box as well..no issues whatsoever. Appreciate the response.

Top Bottom