DIY sulpher burner Warning (sulphur is flammable)

• Thread starter DazedNconfussed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DazedNconfussed

Another Newb mistake....So for the last few weeks I have been burning sulphur twice a week (one hour each)with no problems...but it dont seem to be killing the PM as much as I thought it would and its still spreading....

So I went the DIY route and bought a french fry cooker/crock pot thing and have been running it on low and it melts the pellets but I never seem to see much come out, was expecting a mist of vapor or something. So i thought maybe I wasnt cooking it hot enough.

So today I put it on the medium setting and within 5 minutes the sulphur pellets started on fire, it was a neon purple flame.....(good thing I decided to hang around and check to make sure in case something like this didnt happen)....it wasnt a raging fire, just a small vapor looking flame....luckliy I caught it right away.

Anyways, I read many DIY sulpur burner threads but no one ever said much about if it gets too hot it will catch fire....I just though turning the burner hotter may make it cook more sulphur, create more vapor....I was wrong....So just thought I would post this, something to consider when building your own burner....

~xO Kakalak Ox~

~xO Kakalak Ox~

Calyx Bros. Seed Co.
Here is another DIY sulphur burner. lol
LCWM.jpg

D

DazedNconfussed

yeah, you know didnt relise its used in firworks and shit....does anyone know what temp is ideal to burn sulphur?

C

CAPO

Don't breathe the fumes of smoking or burning sulfur.
Figure out your temperature settings on your hotplate.
It would be best to have a commercial grade respirator($30 from home depot) that is rated for sulfur dioxide fumes, and a chemical fire extinguisher around if your going to be experimenting.
Keep your temps above the melting point and below the flash point. Here's some facts...learn them.

D

DazedNconfussed

thanks capo...will def read...I got a good wiff of that sulphur smoke, it was suffacating....Ill stick to the low setting for sure for now on...been trying to find that green cure in my area but havent found a hydro store yet that carries it....anyone know a good website to order it from...

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Can you heat the room to around 78 degrees with one of those oil filled electric radiator heaters? They dry the air out too. PM likes cool and moist. I know the heater would be more watts but those burners use watts too.

edit... capo did a better job answering lol

D

DazedNconfussed

Don't breathe the fumes of smoking or burning sulfur.
Figure out your temperature settings on your hotplate.
It would be best to have a commercial grade respirator($30 from home depot) that is rated for sulfur dioxide fumes, and a chemical fire extinguisher around if your going to be experimenting.
Keep your temps above the melting point and below the flash point. Here's some facts...learn them.

Thart website says the Flashpoint: 405F (207.2oC)

I dont know, I believe its lower then that cause I dought the burner got that hot....

C

CAPO

Worm's way always has it, probably ebay too. Sorry to hear about the sulfur dude, be careful. Most burners I know of operate off of a ceramic bulb...or in diy, a 60w cool bulb. The key is to get your temps just right, don't get too close to the flashpoint. Most burners can only fume up to 2 grams per go or less. How much are you putting in.

D

DazedNconfussed

Can you heat the room to around 78 degrees with one of those oil filled electric radiator heaters? They dry the air out too. PM likes cool and moist. I know the heater would be more watts but those burners use watts too.

edit... capo did a better job answering lol

Yeha Tabor, Ill try that, for some reason I thought I would get less mold with the colder temps...been keeping my temps in mid 60's......I have an oil heater down there, time to crank her up and see if that help....will shoot for mid 70's.....kinda hard when you have a foot of snow outside....LOL....

D

DazedNconfussed

Worm's way always has it, probably ebay too. Sorry to hear about the sulfur dude, be careful. Most burners I know of operate off of a ceramic bulb...or in diy, a 60w cool bulb. The key is to get your temps just right, don't get too close to the flashpoint. Most burners can only fume up to 2 grams per go or less. How much are you putting in.

I have been using like a cap full, so maybe half a cup of pellets.....

C

CAPO

Keep it on low. If it isn't working out...definitely go with a store bought.
here's one that says in a cup will flash as low as 335 deg and up.

D

DazedNconfussed

is the vapor kinda invisible...or should you see some smoke coming out....on my low setting I have used it always melts the pellets and smells but I never see any kind of smoke...is that the way it should be?

C

CAPO

The vapor is invisible, you know it is there by the smell.

You should learn yourself better when dealing with chemicals.

Read that second website well, especially the following:
SECTION 4. FIRE AND EXPLOSION HAZARD DATA

Flash Point in Degrees F: 335+ F (Closed Cup Method Used); Auto-Ignition Temp.(air): 478 - 511F; Flammable Limits: LEL Dust 35 g/m3; UEL Dust 1400 g/m3>>.[NOTE: LEL/UEL may vary considerably depending on particle size and dispersion.] NOTE: With any combustible material near or above the Flash Point, due consideration should be given to the possibilities for hot vapors traveling to a remote source of ignition and flashing back (while remaining above the flash point and LEL) .

Extinguishing Media: Water, fog, steam, CO2 or Class 'B' extinguisher, dirt, sand, inert gas. Smother fire/cut off air. Fire inside tank cars can be smothered by simply closing dome cover.

S

space101

I think anything over 250w maybe overkill. The higher the wattage the faster the burn time. In the store bought ones there is a 100w heating element, I just put together a DIY sulfir burner and went with the 100w. I was looking for smoke too, but once I could smell it I assumed it was working.

C

CAPO

The only thing that ever worked for me, when it comes to pm, was to increase my ventilation with a HEPA pre-filter and to spray with Greencure, adding in a wetting agent...raising the lights..and then dry them with fans on high.

I did, however, get the pm in check early when it showed up and I was in the middle of veg. Have not seen it since.
If you were set on using sulfur, consider the store bought one as it can be had for around $130.
I don't know this company, but here's one for cheap.

If you are going DIY...wether it be a light bulb or a ceramic pet warmer or a hotplate....one should take the time to figure out what temps you are operating at. Even if you are just copying someone's design....just my 2 pesos, brothers and sisters.

fractal

fractal

The heating element you want to use is a ceramic heating element, sold as a reptile pet heater. Same one used in those massively overpriced burners. Or a low wattage light bulb, it's been a while but 60 or 80 watt standard bulb with a soda can fit over the top and the sulfur in the dished out bottom of the can works well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom