DIY super soil math help

• Thread starter beckerjeremey29
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

Natep

Your going to layer a hot layer at the bottom. Then put a light mix on the top. It’s a pretty old school way of growing. If you like mixing soil and building layers? I would look at some of Leighton Morrisons videos and Jeremy Silva from build a soil. I think the organic way makes a ton more sense to me.

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ Indica
Supporter
Good afternoon Growmies. I'm attempting to make my own super medium, but I'm a little confused. The majority of these recipes out there don't use actual amounts. It's always one part peat and half part bone meal, for example. Now when it comes to peat or soil, they sell them in different quantities. 1.5 cf, 2.8 cf, 3 cf, etc. How do I know what size bag to use? Also, if you use 7.6 cf total of peat, that means each of your amendments has to 3.8 cf of bat guano, for example. Am I missing something? 3.8 cf of each amendment seems like it would scorch a plant. What am I missing? TIA. How do you guys alter recipes to increase/decrease the volume of soil you want to make.View attachment 2122735
I would recommend following a recipe like sub cool or clackamus coot. I don't recommend diving right into making your own mix. Good luck 👍

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ Indica
Supporter
Your going to layer a hot layer at the bottom. Then put a light mix on the top. It’s a pretty old school way of growing. If you like mixing soil and building layers? I would look at some of Leighton Morrisons videos and Jeremy Silva from build a soil. I think the organic way makes a ton more sense to me.
Jeremy is legit he follows clackamus coots way, I like him.

N

Natep

Okay. We'll use 60 gallons as the amount of soil to make.

All those "parts" add up to 6.5 total parts.

Let's say that a "part" equals one gallon. If so, this recipe would make 6.5 gallons of soil mixture.

To make 60 gallons, multiply by 6.5 by 10.

10 x 6.5 = 65 gallons (65 is close enough to call it good. Some extra soil can be useful.)

In the recipe, it would look like this:

10 gallons peat moss
10 gallons compost
10 gallons perlite
10 gallons worm castings
5 gallons bone meal
5 gallons blood meal
5 gallons fish meal
5 gallons kelp meal
5 gallons rock phosphate
===================
65 gallons of
Jeremy is legit he follows clackamus coots way, I like him.
He seems like a smart guy. What he says makes a lot of sense. The results don’t lie either.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I understand, but alot of the dry nutrients don't give their product quantities in dry gallons. Take kelp meal for example. The bag I have says 4 lbs.
Most can be converted, but it may require a Google search. Maybe not pounds, though. So, another way is to measure using a container of a known size. I mentioned that I use an old two-quart saucepan (which is half a gallon) and a five-gallon bucket. So, if I need a gallon of something, I just add two scoops of it using the saucepan. Such a pan can be found at a thrift store.

For me, the five-gallon buckets work well because I also use five-gallon pots. I measure out the ingredients into a bucket and then dump them into a mixing bin. I repeat that for as many pots as I'll be using. Then I stir and mix all of it in the bin before putting it in the pots.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I've read about layering, but I haven't tried it. Maybe someday...

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ Indica
Supporter
Most can be converted, but it may require a Google search. Maybe not pounds, though. So, another way is to measure using a container of a known size. I mentioned that I use an old two-quart saucepan (which is half a gallon) and a five-gallon bucket. So, if I need a gallon of something, I just add two scoops of it using the saucepan. Such a pan can be found at a thrift store.

For me, the five-gallon buckets work well because I also use five-gallon pots. I measure out the ingredients into a bucket and then dump them into a mixing bin. I repeat that for as many pots as I'll be using. Then I stir and mix all of it in the bin before putting it in the pots.
Google search has devolved into paid results, I use alternatives

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ Indica
Supporter
I wasn't recommending Google. It was only an example. Use whatever search engine you prefer. There are many conversion tables out there.
I know, I just like to put it out there for people to keep an eye on their own search results. Just raising awareness, it still works well for certain searches.
I dont want any trouble 😂
Have a good day @LoveGrowingIt

Top Bottom