Diy Terpinator(potassium And Sulfur Solution) - Farmerx

• Thread starter FarmerX
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FarmerX

DIY Terpinator Solution - 'Farmer/Cultivator X'

Hello,

I'll keep it as short and simple as possible.

------------

These are my sources, and I strongly recommend everyone read and review them before experimenting with DIY fertilizer mixing or replicating any of my methods:

http://www.smart-fertilizer.com/articles/fertilizer-solubility
http://extension.uga.edu/publications/detail.cfm?number=B931#table17
http://creationwiki.org/Potassium_sulfate
http://alphachemicals.com/msds___specs

http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/fourtwenty/articles/profiles.htm

There is a lot of information available out there. I suggest you use the search options on the forums, Google and Google.scholar.com search everything, reach out to your local university, nurseries, agricultural suppliers and professionals.

Now let me begin by saying this:

This is NOT a guaranteed analysis, I am NOT a chemist or mathematician; there is rounding in my math, I do not account for the volume change when mixing the salts with water to create a delivery solution, and I do not know everything there is to know about any of this. Mathematical adjustments, general optimization, smarter people and laboratory analysis is required in order to provide exact mixing ratios and results. This is incomplete and imperfect work, I am sharing it with the community for educational purposes and also to receive feedback.

------------

There are some photos for reference as you work through my explanations and math below. Here is a quick explanation of each:

Diy terpinatorpotassium and sulfur solution   farmerx

Potassium Sulfate Information.

Diy terpinatorpotassium and sulfur solution   farmerx 3

Sulfate Molecular Mass.

Diy terpinatorpotassium and sulfur solution   farmerx 5

Salt Solubility; pay attention to the last paragraph in this photo. Contact your provider and review MSDS sheets for any products you decide to use.

Diy terpinatorpotassium and sulfur solution   farmerx 6

Salt compatibility.

Diy terpinatorpotassium and sulfur solution   farmerx 4

Terpinator Nutrient Analysis.

Diy terpinatorpotassium and sulfur solution   farmerx 2

Mathematical Formulas(The A with a squiqly over it in the explanation means divide everything on the left by everything on the right, this is displayed as a grey block to the right in the actual formulas; in my math below you will see this applied as a slash( / )).

------------

Things you will need:
-Potassium Sulfate(Any Brand; some may be better than others based on purity and salt solubility rate)
-Cleanest water possible! (RO filtered preferred, but absolutely NO Calcium can be present in the water used to create your delivery solution; it will bind with sulfur and make both elements completely unavailable in a hydroponic application)
-Gloves
-Goggles
-Respirator/Face Mask
-A scale providing G or MG measuring units and a 1/100th+ display.
-Sterile weighing container
-Sterile mixing container(s)
-Sterile Final Solution holding container
-An environment with proper airflow, emergency equipments, exits and strategies in place.

If exceeding common solubility rates(refer to photos above):
-Hot Plate
-Sterile heat-safe mixing container.

I may have forgotten something here, please mention below and I will add it when I have time.

------------

Simple Key:
K = Potassium
S = Sulfate
K2SO4 = Potassium Sulfate
PPM = Parts Per Million
g = Grams
mg = milligram
L = Liters
mL = milliLiters
Delivery solution = Salts dissolved in water to create a base solution; diluted with, but different than irrigation water.
Irrigation Water = What you feed the plants. Comprising of water and applicapable delivery solutions.
g/mol = molecular mass measuring unit

------------

Let's get started!

If you get confused or have questions, please review the links and photos above. If you cannot find an answer to one of your questions or if you have relevant comments and information please post for the community!

Creating a 37800 Potassium(K) PPM Delivery Solution:

(37800PPM x 174.2g/mol) / (39.1g/mol x 2 units of element) = mg fertilizer source per liter of water
6584760 / 78.2 = mg Potassium Sulfate(K2S04) per liter of water
84204.1 = mg K2SO4 per liter of water
84.2041g K2SO4 per liter of water

Now we know we need 84.2041g of K2SO4 per liter of water to achieve a 37800 K PPM delivery solution content.

+++++

So what about the Sulfate PPM Content of the delivery solution? Let's figure that out!

Based on Google's response above, Sulphates(S) Molecular Mass is assumed to be 96.06g/mol

Now we can calculate the S PPM content of the delivery solution using the formula provided above:

PPM = ((84204.1 mg fertilizer source / 1 Liter of water) x (96.06g/mol)) / 174.2g/mol
PPM = (84204.1 x 96.06) / 174.2
PPM = 8088645.846 / 174.2
PPM = 46433.1

Now we know that our delivery solution contains 37800 PPM of K and 46433.1 PPM of S when applying 84.2041g of K2SO4 per liter of water.

------------

Figuring out final irrigation Potassium(K) PPM content based on 1 ML delivery solution per gallon of water:

K PPM content of delivery solution / ml water dilution = K PPM content of irrigation water
37800 PPM / 3780 ml = K Content of irrigation water
10 PPM = K Content of irrigation water

Thus; 1 ML of delivery solution per Gallon of water will provide 10 K PPM content in irrigation water.

++++

Figuring out final irrigation Sulphate(S) PPM content based on 1ML delivery solution per gallon of water:

S PPM content of delivery solution / ml water dilution = S PPM content of irrigation water
46433.1 / 3780 = S PPM content of irrigation water
12.283 = S PPM content of irrigation water

Thus; 1 ML of delivery solution per gallon of water will provide 12.283 S PPM content in irrigation water.

Now we know that 1 ML of delivery solution per gallon will provide 10 K and 12.283 S PPM content.

------------

Let's compare pricing and efficacy!

Terpinator - $66 for 3780ml of delivery solution.
Inputing the information provided by the company and official labeling into the nutrient calculator, When applied at 1 ML of delivery solution per gallon of irrigation water, Terpinator provides 9 K PPM content and an unknown amount of S.

Potassium Sulfate - $16.99 before shipping for a 5 lb. bag, or
Assuming my math and the information provided is correct, when applied at 1 ML of DIY delivery solution per gallon of irrigation water, the DIY delivery solution containing 84.2041 grams of Potassium Sulfate per liter provides 10 K and 12.283 S PPM content.

Further Break down:

Lbs x 454 = G
5 x 454 = 2270g
2270g / 84.2041g = 26.958 Liters of DIY delivery solution.

L x 1000 = mL
26.958L x 1000 = 26958.307mL of

Terpinator - $66 for 3780mL of delivery solution ($0.0174 per mL)
Potassium Sulfate - $16.99 for 26958.307mL of DIY delivery solution ($0.000630 per mL)

One more time:

Terpinator - $66 for 3780mL of delivery solution
Potassium Sulfate - $2.38 for 3780mL of DIY delivery solution

------------

READ ONE MORE TIME!

This is NOT a guaranteed analysis, I am NOT a chemist or mathematician; there is rounding in my math, I do not account for the volume change when mixing the salts with water to create a delivery solution, and I do not know everything there is to know about any of this. Mathematical adjustments, general optimization, smarter people and laboratory analysis is required in order to provide exact mixing ratios and results. This is incomplete and imperfect work, I am sharing it with the community for educational purposes and also to receive feedback.

------------

Be safe and have fun guys! Please post relevant information, feedback and comments below!

Thank you for reading.

X

F

FarmerX

Disclaimer: Use the provided mixing rates at your own discretion. Do NOT try this without performing the proper research and using the appropriate safety equipment. Seriously, I don't want anyone hurting themselves or their crops.

I will follow up with more posts about my experience and use of potassium sulfate.

Thanks.

X

Top Bottom