DIY 'Under Current' RDWC style hydro; low cost, high output!

• Thread starter ttystikk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ttystikk

ttystikk

Can you tell me some of the major issues you had with your original system. I'm trying to do the exact same thing and would like to avoid any pitfalls. Thanks.

First and foremost, unless you have plenty of hydro experience already, don't run an RDWC. You don't toss Jr. the keys to the Ferrari to go take his driving test, right? Start w/ coco and make sure you have a firm grasp of the basics. Here's why:

RDWC makes everything happen faster, both the growth (good) and problems (bad!). Think of it as a 'dynamically unstable' system- unless you're constantly making corrections, the natural course of events in RDWC is to go out of balance- and not necessarily always the same way.

If your nutes are off the plants suffer; if they're not matched to the environment, your plants will suffer, and if you're not using nutes specially designed for RDWC, your plants will more than likely suffer.

I could go on, but pure RDWC is not a beginner's tightrope walk.

I'm spending a lot of time slowly and deliberately investigating the possibility of running a combination RDWC and coco substrate. So far, the early results look good; each style complements the other, so that there is less instability in the system. I have a long way to go to be able to make any specific recommendations, however.

another_sellout

another_sellout

For all the folks wanting photos:
Do your systems look anything like this?
These four buckets are on a Danner 275 pump, with a 1" gravity feed to 1/2" return to the pump.
Recycles the entire water supply a dozen times an hour, infused with 45 liters of air per minute.
Air hoses go in through the sides of the buckets, not the net pots.
And yes, the cages are attached to the 10" nets.
Both these modifications are for easy root inspection and movement of the plants.
Cost about $175, everything new at shop prices.
Neat, huh?

05042011 002
05042011 003
babyhughie586

babyhughie586

These four buckets are on a Danner 275 pump, with a 1" gravity feed to 1/2" return to the pump.
Recycles the entire water supply a dozen times an hour, infused with 45 liters of air per minute.
Both these modifications are for easy root inspection and movement of the plants.
Neat, huh?
that is a nice little system u got their sellout.. however the only thing you may have an issue with is roots clogging up your piping that connects your bucket... i am building a system just like yours their except its an 8 bucket system connected by 1.5" uniseals and pvc piping... the roots are gonna grow crazy in those buckets bro... the pvc and uniseals should only cost about $40-50 bucks for a 4 bucket system.... imho it is a must for rdwc systems

ttystikk

ttystikk

Neat, huh?

Yes, the system looks substantially similar to the pics you included. 1" bulkheads and 1" tubing connect everything, and all the sites plus the head and tail buckets are 5 gallon buckets. This eases setup, maximizes flexibility for reconfigurations and minimizes parts count.

ttystikk

ttystikk

My latest spin on all this is to run the RDWC underneath as normal, except for an irrigation pump in the head bucket. This pump feeds a top feed irrigation system, adding water to the netpots and letting it drain through the medium and back into the RDWC beneath. This gives the plants water from the top and allows them to access the water beneath. It seems that to take full advantage of a system like this, it's important to have at least 50% runoff so the flow through the coco and back into the RDWC is consistent. This keeps pH and EC from swinging, thus using the full mass of the water in the RDWC to help the system buffer itself. Fresh nutrient water is added right to the RDWC.

In addition this approach allows the substrate (I'm currently using 50/50 coco and hydroton) to act as a filter- and if beneficial inoculants are added, each netpot becomes something of a biofilter.

So far, this approach seems to be addressing the weak points of both top feed and RDWC by allowing them to work together in a copmplimentary fashion. Instead of constantly trying to keep up with the RDWC's tendancy to go out of range with both EC and pH, this helps keep things stable. It more fully utilizes the nutrients that are otherwise 'drained to waste' and backstops the irrigation system- such as when it clogs, or even in short duration power outages- by maintaining a ready reservior of nutrient water for the plant at all times.

Z

zor

thanks for sharing this ttystikk. I'm currently trying to plan my next grow and would love to use the 1" flexible hose with 5 gallon buckets as well. I always assumed, based on posts from other rwdc users, that the 1" hose would certainly clog with roots. Any tips or suggestions as how you keep those lines clear of roots?

ken dog

ken dog

I wouldn't put too much hope in it... The last post on the subject was about a year ago... those pipe sizes are way too small.

2 inch minimum I would say.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I wouldn't put too much hope in it... The last post on the subject was about a year ago... those pipe sizes are way too small.

2 inch minimum I would say.

Rubbish. I'm still happily using 1" hose and bulkhead fittings and things circulate just fine, thanks! My main gripe is that I have to stick my hand down into the bucket of every plant every few weeks to unclog the line. That happens with all sizes, 3" isn't immune.

My latest plot's been to swap out the five gallon bucket approach favor of fewer sites, but with 27 gallon tubs. These are fed with two inputs and two outlets, all are 1" and the entire system is blasting out gigantic growth even as I Swype. I had one false start; those yellow lids were not up to the task of keeping the water in the tubs sufficiently dark or cold, so the first run got a case of the slime. A quick disinfect with h2o2 and reload with fresh girls, Cap's OGBiowar root pak aerated compost tea inoculant and a foil wrapped foam board cover to keep them dark and cool- and voila!

20130908 172038

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Neat, huh?
I want to build this system.

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

Well i would start with looking for 13 gallon buckets with lids buy some white PVC and get some of these
next get air lines and pump there are many threads on Diy and how to match air needed and water pump sizes get a nice barrel for man rez
http://www.aussieglobe.com/3-Uniseal--U300_p_15.html

I am going to be building one shortly for a friend 25 site got buckets for free and have millions of feet of air line some calculations are needed for air n pump etc but doing things little different
IMG4192
IMG4193

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Well i would start with looking for 13 gallon buckets with lids buy some white PVC and get some of these
next get air lines and pump there are many threads on Diy and how to match air needed and water pump sizes get a nice barrel for man rez
http://www.aussieglobe.com/3-Uniseal--U300_p_15.html

I am going to be building one shortly for a friend 25 site got buckets for free and have millions of feet of air line some calculations are needed for air n pump etc but doing things little different View attachment 618938 View attachment 618939
I was wrong earlier.. I want to build the one you just showed! I like it a lot better! I will have to go watch that youtube video after I get the yard mowed. Thanks for responding. I will chat you up later about building one of these. I think I will build one with you.

Top Bottom