diy undercurrent?

• Thread starter ucsean
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
U

ucsean

where would i start to build my own 6 bucket uc system. home depot? what size pvc? pipes length? would basic 5 gallon buckets be efficent enough? what size pumps? rough estimate of total cost? any info would help thank you.

aSilvrHaze

aSilvrHaze

Go to lowes and get the grey buckets, there light proof. With six buckets, I'd go with about a 350-500 gph pump. 2" pvc. Length of pipe is more up to you and you're workable space/ available light. Don't have a very good estimate of cost, but I will say roughly $200.

U

ucsean

Is there anything else that would be helpful that i should know?

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Read the DIY threads on UC's there are a ton, all your questions will be answered

Tex

ttystikk

ttystikk

I scrounged 5 gallon buckets from local restaurants cuz I didn't have cash for new ones. I then painted them with paint from a local thrift store. I drilled holes in the sides for 1" bulkheads, and used 1" inside diameter line to hook them together. I use a control bucket with a float valve ($35 at the local farm and ranch place, bet you can do better with a smaller one) connected to a 55 gallon drum reservoir, also sourced free. There are no nutes in my res. water, just straight water, RO and pH balanced if necessary. I also use a tail bucket where the waterpump goes. for only 6 buckets, a 250 gph pump is more than sufficient, run the hose straight into the control bucket, above the waterline for better mixing and aeration. For a 6 bucket system, I'd do a 2 x 3 setup, on whatever centers you like. Run two lines from head bucket to first two plant sites. Run last two lines to tail bucket. Run the pump constantly, I tried a pump switch and it's worthless. Pour nutes, H2O2, etc into the tail bucket so they can mix and dilute better before the roots see them. Use a 50-70 liter/min airpump and put 2" airstones in each site. CHILL IT to 65 degrees, no excuses here. I tried not to and it's a losing battle. I spent less than $250 on a 24 site system built this way... and then I did it again! Sorry, Brittney...

Top Bottom