Do cannabis leaves ALWAYS fade during senescence

• Yes

• No

• Sometimes

Results are only viewable after voting.
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
The answer is in the question… yes always because thats what senescence is.

Thats not to say that senescence always occurs by the time harvest comes around but almost always to some degree or another
Bingpot.
Degredation of chlorophyll is a key indicator of plant senescence. Think about tree leaves in the Fall. Don't see a green tree dropping leaves do you.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I'd say any plants programmed by nature to end before winter will fade at a moment,
but as we harvest before, sometimes the dying process has started and sometimes not, depending on genetics.
I'd tend to agree with that but right now I have a green Gsc and a yellow Gsc from the same mother 10 weeks in flower under 2 different styles of Spiderfarmer SE 3000 lights. Both set to similar light levels via my lux meter readings, fed the same food at the same time in the same soil......One with yellow leaves one with green......whats with that???,,,the buds look identical just not the leaves.

TSD

TSD

I'd tend to agree with that but right now I have a green Gsc and a yellow Gsc from the same mother 10 weeks in flower under 2 different styles of Spiderfarmer SE 3000 lights. Both set to similar light levels via my lux meter readings, fed the same food at the same time in the same soil......One with yellow leaves one with green......whats with that???,,,the buds look identical just not the leaves.
Weird, different diodes on the 2 lights? Maybe one light is causing one plant to need more of certain nutrients?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

should senescence bit looked at differently if comparing Soil/Coco/Hydro..etc grows.
In which way do you mean? It happens in all of them.

As said genetics play a role. think of it this way its a natural process. A large majority of trees do this in the northern climates to as the temp drops and growth slows due to climate.

Most plants respond to ethylene in the same manner. Plants have many adaptations to provide the most successful chance at survival of their species.

In cannabis a lot depends on the nutrient supply. It will be more pronounced if the nutrients are low and the plant is in late flower putting all its energy into buds for reproduction it will pull what it can from elsewhere in the plant.

Ever notice after a certain point in a life cycle they stop throwing out fans almost completely and only the buds grow?

Also its a natural aging process so in most strains leaves getting past the 60 day mark you may see start to show this as they are larger older and less efficient at photosynthesis, cell division slows and then stops… the leaves aren’t dead but they start to turn yellow and eventually die and fall off. This is why i explain in my defol thread that removing the largest oldest leaves is a better option than new growing fans

many get concerned when they see this but its just natural aging

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Weird, different diodes on the 2 lights? Maybe one light is causing one plant to need more of certain nutrients?
I would have just shrugged it off if not for this post.....Lots of stuff happens I can't figure out and I don't bother with the fine details of why. You can clearly see in one of my above pics the green on the left and the other 2 have faded like normal for me at 10 weeks...I scoped the buds yesterday and they're not ready but they both look the same with few amber and still some clear heads

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Ahhh could just be the difference in light intensity and that will change the demands of everything from nutrients to VPD
I use my lux meter to adjust each light to close to the same levels. never exactly but I bump up and down about 10% at a time as I think they can handle it, I'm still learning the led lights................ I see less is more and If anything I guess its possible they were at a slightly less powerful setting but very minimal if they were at all...

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
No always.

Senescence in plants is the aging process in which cell division stops (not dies) and therefore chlorophyl production stops, leaves change color due to anthocyanin production in the absence of chlorophyll
Ok so you're using the definition of senescence......which is all good. I haven't actually looked up the definition, and I will. So if that's the definition, yep, always. If the question is "do all plant's leaves yellow at harvest time", that might be a different answer......op did ask "Senescence". What was funny was the "always/sometimes" part. I dig language..... ;)

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok so you're using the definition of senescence......which is all good. I haven't actually looked up the definition, and I will. So if that's the definition, yep, always. If the question is "do all plant's leaves yellow at harvest time", that might be a different answer......op did ask "Senescence". What was funny was the "always/sometimes" part. I dig language..... ;)
Yup you got it… i try to be as literal as i can because i find using the proper terminology important to answering anything accurately. Plus it leaves less room for confusion or error.

i know to some it can be a pita but just how my mind works

Top Bottom