Do clones need darkness??

• Thread starter stormannorm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

stormannorm

Hi there ive been thinking ive got clones in peat plugs just now in a 24/0.but dont roots need the dark ti grow strong?? Ive got them in a heated propigator also.so am i rite to have them on the 24/0?? Maybe i should give them 4hrs dark time?? If u have a moment let me know plz thanks

peace out

ogplatinum

ogplatinum

Hi there ive been thinking ive got clones in peat plugs just now in a 24/0.but dont roots need the dark ti grow strong?? Ive got them in a heated propigator also.so am i rite to have them on the 24/0?? Maybe i should give them 4hrs dark time?? If u have a moment let me know plz thanks

peace out

Never given my clone/up to a week veg ladies any darkness. But thats just the way i do things. I get roots on my clones without darkness in sometimes under a week, sometimes up to 18 days, varies by strain it seems to me, and by method used.

In my exp, there is a very huge debate on this subject. You should get some good replies, also the search should come up with some good stuff as well.

Good luck!

K

Kief Stoned

Ive never used 20/4 - 18/6 etc for clones and have gotten them to root just fine under 24/0.. I actually dont even give any darkness for my vegging plants from seed either. I just feel like it makes them stretch more with any dark period. But as ogp said, there are alot of diff views on the subject and im just giving my opinion.Im sure there are diff opinions out there.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Im a Newb.

But

I do the 24/0 with my clones..

and like ogplatinum said, sometimes they take a week and sometimes longer...

S

stormannorm

Thanks alot ogp,keif stoned and caregiverken.im new to this. But it was just a thot that crossed my mind but thanks for your views

peace out

j wizzle

j wizzle

i veg/clone in 24/0...always have, always will. works just fine. you will get 20 different opinions on this too...

D

driftin

so true about the different times ... i've always used 12/1 cycle .. 12 on 5.5 off 1 on 5.5 off ... works for me

S

Sea Of Green

No. So there's no reason not to keep the light on all the time. And that's all there is to it really.

S

StrikeitRich

The actual reason for giving a plant dark periods during Veg and Clone stages, i believe, and dont like hold me to this word for word cause im trying to pull up an obscue article i read a while back, but basically the apexial tip of the plant while the lights are on are getting the plants main focus of energy... ie. Sugars, but now when u switch the plants to darkness the apexial tip is no longer cause there is no light source to define where the apexial tip is. this in turn causes the plant to focus its energy on root growth and stalk girthing (Main Base) This is why i see no real problem giving early clones 24 hrs light, but once they start rooting i always give them atleast a 4 hr dark cycle. again just my preferance here.

I hope this is getting at the question u r asking.

Peace,
S i R

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

My clones get 24hrs light.. I also veg under 24hrs light.. My girls don't get any sleep till they flower its always worked great 4 me

ogplatinum

ogplatinum

Thanks alot ogp,keif stoned and caregiverken.im new to this. But it was just a thot that crossed my mind but thanks for your views

peace out

No problem, glad I could help a fellow farmer! Happy growin! :banana1sv6:

D

driftin

Dude, you totally lost me with that one llol..12/1? HUH?
i use a 12 hour on , then 5.5 hrs off , 1 hour on and 5.5 hrs off ... the 1 hour in the middle of the dark time stops them from wanting to flower ... never had a hermie and when i turn them to 12/12 they flower quicker ... just my opinion

happy grown

R

Redskywalker

Premium Member
Supporter
i use a 12 hour on , then 5.5 hrs off , 1 hour on and 5.5 hrs off ... the 1 hour in the middle of the dark time stops them from wanting to flower ... never had a hermie and when i turn them to 12/12 they flower quicker ... just my opinion

happy grown

I never heard of this bro, is it something you heard/read about? Or did you make this lighting schedule yourself? PeAcE :pimp:

ogplatinum

ogplatinum

I never heard of this bro, is it something you heard/read about? Or did you make this lighting schedule yourself? PeAcE :pimp:

I think this has been in high times before....tweaking the light schedule so in the end if you took them 70 days its like they got 72 days of light at 12/12 or something a long those lines... Dont remember the article exactly...Maybe i could dig'er up on google..

D

driftin

been using it for years ... i was told about it by an old grower ( well older then me lol ) and have always used it ... never had any problems at all and in my opinion get lots of veg and root growth ... rooted clones in 10 days , when switching to 12/12 , flower shows in 7 to 10 days ... and finish a week early ...

happy growin

K

Kief Stoned

rooted clones in 10 days , when switching to 12/12 , flower shows in 7 to 10 days ... and finish a week early ...

Sounds like normal 20/4 or 24/0 to me TBH. Thats what I get when running 24/0. Them finishing a week early thing can be from alot of things however , and not (just) the light schedule. But thats the nice thing about forums like this. The ability for us to share thoughts,ideas and techniques. I am all about learning new things. Ill have to give it a try one day ..Thanks for the post.

Top Bottom