• Tagged users None
hiboy

hiboy

The more ur light is dimmed, the less power it consumes, kinda like my v8 van
If i dont have it floored and just cruise it, i save. Goes the same with lamps
h

J

Jellybean

In commercial areas where i have used many h.i.d. lights, the smaller or larger lamp wont even work if its not in its correct ballast. Surprised it does with grow room lights. I know a little more about electricity being an electrician..... hopefully:talking
h

the 400mh has been working now for a week in the 600W digi dimmed to 400 so that is good, no noticeable drop on the KWH - hence the thread. :dance

thanks for the input (no pun intended), i need an electrician right about now

hiboy

hiboy

the 400mh has been working now for a week in the 600W digi dimmed to 400 so that is good, no noticeable drop on the KWH - hence the thread. :dance

thanks for the input (no pun intended), i need an electrician right about now

Hey a question u mite of stated earlier.
Does that dimmable ballast have a 400 watt setting or do u just turn a dial down to a desirable output.
h

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

maybe people should educate themselves before they start giving out wrong information.:fighting0085:

I actually did try to educate myself the best I did when making my purchase. From what I read online and was told by a few friends (one a grow consultant, the other does some electrical work) Quantums were the only ballasts that actually drew less power when dimmed. Whether I was misinformed or ballast companies changed their technology to mimic a better product, Im not here to debate. What I can say is that Qunatums do draw less power when dimmed, and 240 shipped isnt bad. I have not researched every ballast on the market, though...
pRiMo303

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

Hey a question u mite of stated earlier.
Does that dimmable ballast have a 400 watt setting or do u just turn a dial down to a desirable output.
h

Every dimmable Ive seen has preset settings ie 100%, 75%, 50% or 1000, 600, 400.
pRiMo303

Dutchdaisy

Dutchdaisy

set it at 11 ?

I have a dimable ballast with a setting for 400,600,1000, and 1100, what happens if I turn it to Eleven ? Anyone ?

OGONLY

OGONLY

I never dim my Quantum ballast though it is dimmable. I just wanted to chime in and say that I love my Quantum ballasts. So far (1 year) they have been trouble free and have been producing some dank ass bud when combined with Hortilux super HPS.

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

Every dimmable Ive seen has preset settings ie 100%, 75%, 50% or 1000, 600, 400.
pRiMo303

50% of 1000 is 400? and 75% of 1000 is 600? interesting

It is actually 1000, 750 and 600 just to clarify things and I think everyone in question should go to home depot or anyplace that sells a kill-a-watt wattage meter and see for yourself what happens when you dim down the ballast

dankworth

dankworth

If 1k dimmables still used 1130 watts or whatever when they were dimmed down, the extra energy would have to go somewhere. Like in the form of extra heat from your ballast.
My lumateks at least do not pull full wattage when dimmed. My room, which also contains my ballast, would run just as hot. Electricity in this case must be converted to light or heat.

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

50% of 1000 is 400? and 75% of 1000 is 600? interesting

It is actually 1000, 750 and 600 just to clarify things and I think everyone in question should go to home depot or anyplace that sells a kill-a-watt wattage meter and see for yourself what happens when you dim down the ballast

If thats the math you come up with, sir, it is interesting at the very LEAST. I assure you 50% of 1000 is not 400, and 75% is not 600..may wanna pull out the calculator on that one, guy. And if you would like to quote me and attempt to call me out please read and UNDERSTAND my post. The key word in my post is "OR". The presets that I have SEEN (notice I didnt say all?) are marked at either 1000, 75, or 50 percent OR they are marked at 1000, 600, 400. Once again, those are the ones Ive SEEN, and I havent seen em all. And "just to clarify things", Id like to bring to your attention that Quantums settings are 100, 75, and 50 percent..so Im going to have to call you out on the "Its actually 1000, 750, 600". Please re-read and understand my post before misquoting and trying to call me out. If you read it, you would see the word OR and see that I never made any parallels between percentage settings AND wattage.
While we're on the topic, though.. What ballast has a 750 and 600 setting? Those are so close, I dont see the point?
pRiMo303 :volcano:

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

If thats the math you come up with, sir, it is interesting at the very LEAST. I assure you 50% of 1000 is not 400, and 75% is not 600..may wanna pull out the calculator on that one, guy. And if you would like to quote me and attempt to call me out please read and UNDERSTAND my post. The key word in my post is "OR". The presets that I have SEEN (notice I didnt say all?) are marked at either 1000, 75, or 50 percent OR they are marked at 1000, 600, 400. Once again, those are the ones Ive SEEN, and I havent seen em all. And "just to clarify things", Id like to bring to your attention that Quantums settings are 100, 75, and 50 percent..so Im going to have to call you out on the "Its actually 1000, 750, 600". Please re-read and understand my post before misquoting and trying to call me out. If you read it, you would see the word OR and see that I never made any parallels between percentage settings AND wattage.
While we're on the topic, though.. What ballast has a 750 and 600 setting? Those are so close, I dont see the point?

My appologies ... the way I read your post was OR was a comparison of the two, not different meanings.

Lumatek 1000w dimmable ballast  43528 zoom
pRiMo303

pRiMo303

My appologies ... the way I read your post was OR was a comparison of the two, not different meanings.

No worries, homie! Just wanted to clear that up for whoever it was that had originally asked. I just wanted them to realize different companies have different presets. And I think they were just trying to figure out if the dimmed settings were in preset incraments or if you could dial to any number specifically. Yeah, I thought it was the lumateks that had the 750 and 600 setting. Seems a little pointless to have two settings in such close proximity, but thats just my opinion. I have never used a Lumatek, and am not commenting on their quality. I do love my Quantum, though..

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

I have a dimable ballast with a setting for 400,600,1000, and 1100, what happens if I turn it to Eleven ? Anyone ?

That is the SUPER lumen settings. Some digi ballasts have, some dont. I think Lumateks do have the setting. Quantums do not. It says somewhere in the literature that comes w the ballast that "super lumen technology is still fairly new and that they will not apply that tech to their product until it is a more reliable technology" or something like that.

MagicSeth

MagicSeth

I talked with a manufacturer of the digital ballast and was informed that if you have are running a 600 watt light like I do then use the light rated for the ballast and dial it down.Now does it effect the life of the bulb . YES it does. The solution as suggested: If you are going to use it to veg like I am and run it at 50 percent then make sure that you use an inexpensive bulb and ditch that sucker after a 3 veg's .Correct me if I am wrong. I am just following the suggestion of the manufacturer.

MagicSeth

MagicSeth

I talked with a manufacturer of the digital ballast and was informed that if you have are running a 600 watt light like I do then use the light rated for the ballast and dial it down.Now does it effect the life of the bulb . YES it does. The solution as suggested: If you are going to use it to veg like I am and run it at 50 percent then make sure that you use an inexpensive bulb and ditch that sucker after a 3 veg's .Correct me if I am wrong. I am just following the suggestion of the manufacturer.
Oh a good ounce of weed is 200 bucks a super ounce is 325.00( extra whammo on my ass crying MOmma...) I am growing that by the way..lol So whats 40 bucks or so for a light...lol

ttystikk

ttystikk

To clear up some misconceptions before they become mythology;

Run the right bulb for the ballast, for safety reasons.

You can 'get away with' running a 400w bulb in a 600w fixture dimmed down... sometimes. If your digital dimmable ballast likes to strike the bulb at full wattage and then dim it down, watch out!

The dimmer switches do reduce the wattage, and do reduce power. Anyone who says different believes in magic- the magical ability for watts to vanish, leaving no trace behind!

Running bulbs at less than their full rated output shortens their lifespan. The more they are dimmed down, the worse this effect: an hps is not as susceptible to this, but you can shorten the lifespan on an mh bulb by 90% by running it at half power! The short rule of thumb? Never dim mh bulbs.

Someone said above that running a bulb on a dimmed setting is wasteful- he is right, and here is why; the engineers who design these bulbs are working with design compromises. One of these is how efficient the bulb will be, or how many lumens per watt it will produce. That number changes with wattage, so if a bulb is designed to be most efficient at its rated output of 1000w, it will be much less efficient if it's only seeing 60 or 75% of that. In other words, 75% power gets you 60% of the lumens, and 60% power nets only 45% of the rated lumen output. As if that wasn't bad enough, the light spectrum output also shifts, and never for the better. This hurts PAR even more than it hurts lumens!

To sum up; dimmed bulbs are inefficient, put out the wrong spectrum, and wear out more quickly. Never dim an mh, you'll just destroy it.

Finally, if you must run your hps bulb at a reduced power seeing, don't do it with a fresh new bulb without a 'burn in' period at full 100% of its rated power for at least 10 hours first. Otherwise, it will Jack up your bulb and it will never work properly.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Well said ttystikk, so many people are in the dark about how it works, that's the industry's failure. Never run a bulb unless it's the rated value. 1000w at 1000w never at 600 or whatever. As ttystikk last point is the most important, bulbs are designed to run at what they are rated for anything less is just that. The chemicals used in the bulbs need the right wattage to produce the way they were meant to be.

We do not recommend dimming HID lamps
This is from the Hortilux site
Is it okay to use a 1000w hps bulb with a 1000w ballast dimmed to a 750w or 600 setting?
We do not recommend dimming HID lamps. HID lamps will operate when dimmed but the spectral quality of the lamp will change in a negative way.

HID lamps are designed to operate at a specific wattage. When you flip the switch, or turn the wattage dial, you are reducing the operating wattage of your lamp. This reduces the temperature inside the lamp and causes some of the chemical reactions inside the lamp to stop. This has a dramatic and negative impact on the quality of the light being produced by your lamp.

If you want to reduce the power of your system we recommend using a lower wattage lamp and operating it at its proper wattage. This way you can reduce power without sacrificing the quality of your spectrum and ultimately the quality of your plants.

MagicSeth

MagicSeth

Well said ttystikk, so many people are in the dark about how it works, that's the industry's failure. Never run a bulb unless it's the rated value. 1000w at 1000w never at 600 or whatever. As ttystikk last point is the most important, bulbs are designed to run at what they are rated for anything less is just that. The chemicals used in the bulbs need the right wattage to produce the way they were meant to be.

We do not recommend dimming HID lamps
This is from the Hortilux site
Is it okay to use a 1000w hps bulb with a 1000w ballast dimmed to a 750w or 600 setting?
We do not recommend dimming HID lamps. HID lamps will operate when dimmed but the spectral quality of the lamp will change in a negative way.

HID lamps are designed to operate at a specific wattage. When you flip the switch, or turn the wattage dial, you are reducing the operating wattage of your lamp. This reduces the temperature inside the lamp and causes some of the chemical reactions inside the lamp to stop. This has a dramatic and negative impact on the quality of the light being produced by your lamp.

If you want to reduce the power of your system we recommend using a lower wattage lamp and operating it at its proper wattage. This way you can reduce power without sacrificing the quality of your spectrum and ultimately the quality of your plants.
AMEN... end of story...:)

Top Bottom