Do I add amended soil?????

• Thread starter Boom Shaka
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Boom Shaka

Boom Shaka

I have an opportunity to do an outdoor grow on a friends farm. He has a cow pen that is extremely isolated and is 100 yards X 100 yards and the cows have been sh%tting and urinating there for years.
Do I just plant directly in the ground or do I dig holes and add amended soil and then plant?
Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Also any help on dry fertilizers is appreciated as well.
Thanks in advance

OLDproLg

OLDproLg

Cow poo property!

HECK YAH MAN,but i would start in small pots with a clean soil...
Are you going from seed or clones?
Seed plants are much stronger!
Lg

Boom Shaka

Boom Shaka

Cow poo property!

HECK YAH MAN,but i would start in small pots with a clean soil...
Are you going from seed or clones?
Seed plants are much stronger!
Lg
Vegging clones in FF and then transplanting OD in first week of May.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Is there anything else growing in that area, and if so, what is it? My first concern would be with calcium. You should have plenty of N available, possibly too much, so if nothing's growing I would toss some corn or something else cheap on there and see what happens.

Boom Shaka

Boom Shaka

Is there anything else growing in that area, and if so, what is it? My first concern would be with calcium. You should have plenty of N available, possibly too much, so if nothing's growing I would toss some corn or something else cheap on there and see what happens.
There is nothing growing there, just dirt, sh%t and urine . It is a fenced in enclosure that holds a number of cattle in, so from them constantly walking around such a small place, nothing has had a chance to grow.

Boom Shaka

Boom Shaka

It is also surrounded by a huge ag farm that he grows millet,alfalfa, and turf on.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'd cover crop it for now, get some more life in there.

Kitsune Nyx

Kitsune Nyx

I think I'd be looking at bug pests...
You could try yellow sweet clover for a cover crop & till it in for a great green manure.
Get a good couple feet into the ground & see how the worm population looks. Can you pull at least 5 fishing fatties(crawlers, worms, ect) out of one hole? If so, that's going to be nice soil. If not, try tilling it with some char(hardwood ash- lightly), cover cropping & never be afraid to send soil in to your local extension office for "vegetable garden" testing.

Hope that helps.

Boom Shaka

Boom Shaka

I think I'd be looking at bug pests...
You could try yellow sweet clover for a cover crop & till it in for a great green manure.
Get a good couple feet into the ground & see how the worm population looks. Can you pull at least 5 fishing fatties(crawlers, worms, ect) out of one hole? If so, that's going to be nice soil. If not, try tilling it with some char(hardwood ash- lightly), cover cropping & never be afraid to send soil in to your local extension office for "vegetable garden" testing.

Hope that helps.
Thank you

SunGrown

SunGrown

I bet it will be fine, (how recent were the cows there?)
But run a tiller thru there with a few yards of perlite or lave rock. A simple soil test after that is less than 50$ and they will tell you exactly what ammendments to add next.
HTH

Boom Shaka

Boom Shaka

I bet it will be fine, (how recent were the cows there?)
But run a tiller thru there with a few yards of perlite or lave rock. A simple soil test after that is less than 50$ and they will tell you exactly what ammendments to add next.
HTH
Thanks. The cows are leaving soon. Going to get a soil test soon

Latest posts

Top Bottom