Do I have a nutrient deficiency?

• Thread starter MoGales
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MoGales

I don't know whats going on, this is my first grow and im within my 4th week. I'm growing Girl Scout Cookie Extreme from seed in Fox Farms Oceans soil, using 2 450w LED's in a 48x48x80 grow tent. On one hand my plants seem to be a bit small for 4 weeks but thats not my concern at the moment, although id like it if someone were to tell me I have nothing to worry about as far as the size. My problem is that one of my plants bottom leaves seem to be wilting and dying off, and now some of the top leaves are just barely starting to curl down at the edges and fold. I ph my water, but I don't check the ph of the soil as I don't have the tool. they are running on a 18-6 light cycle and I water only once top of soil is dry. The temperature stays around 70-75 degrees and I have a bit of a low humidity average of 40%-45%. I feed all my plants equally and from what I can tell they all get the same amount of light. The first 2 pictures below are of the other 2 plants that seem to be doing well, the rest of the pics are of the plant I have concerns about. Anyone thinks they might know the problem?
Do i have a nutrient deficiency

Do i have a nutrient deficiency 2
Do i have a nutrient deficiency 3
Do i have a nutrient deficiency 4
Do i have a nutrient deficiency 5
Do i have a nutrient deficiency 6
Do i have a nutrient deficiency 7
Do i have a nutrient deficiency 8
Do i have a nutrient deficiency 9

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I don't know whats going on, this is my first grow and im within my 4th week. I'm growing Girl Scout Cookie Extreme from seed in Fox Farms Oceans soil, using 2 450w LED's in a 48x48x80 grow tent. On one hand my plants seem to be a bit small for 4 weeks but thats not my concern at the moment, although id like it if someone were to tell me I have nothing to worry about as far as the size. My problem is that one of my plants bottom leaves seem to be wilting and dying off, and now some of the top leaves are just barely starting to curl down at the edges and fold. I ph my water, but I don't check the ph of the soil as I don't have the tool. they are running on a 18-6 light cycle and I water only once top of soil is dry. The temperature stays around 70-75 degrees and I have a bit of a low humidity average of 40%-45%. I feed all my plants equally and from what I can tell they all get the same amount of light. The first 2 pictures below are of the other 2 plants that seem to be doing well, the rest of the pics are of the plant I have concerns about. Anyone thinks they might know the problem?
View attachment 872588
View attachment 872589View attachment 872590View attachment 872591View attachment 872592View attachment 872593View attachment 872594View attachment 872595View attachment 872596
I use ffof and I might be able to help, but have a couple questions; first question is what do you use to pH your water and what do you adjust it to?

Are you feeding these plants nutrients already?

Also find the real voltage of your lights, & how high above the plants are they

Pictures in natural light are better

M

MoGales

I use ffof and I might be able to help, but have a couple questions; first question is what do you use to pH your water and what do you adjust it to?

Are you feeding these plants nutrients already?

Also find the real voltage of your lights, & how high above the plants are they

Pictures in natural light are better
Thanks for the reply, I use PH up and PH down to adjust the PH and I adjust it to a range of 6.2-6.5. Im using the fox farms trio nutrients on them, I've been feeding according to the fox farms feeding schedule. Below are some photos of the specs for my lights as well as the plant in natural lighting and my grow tent set up so you can see the distance the lights are from the plants.
IMG 3253
IMG 3254
IMG 3255
IMG 3256
IMG 3257
IMG 3258
IMG 3259
IMG 3260
IMG 3261
IMG 3270
IMG 3271

IMG 3253
IMG 3254
IMG 3255
IMG 3256
IMG 3257
IMG 3258
IMG 3259
IMG 3260
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I agree definitely over watered maybe time to put in a bigger pot so it may be easier to manage the watering

I don't use Leds but I bet you could use just one of those for now, also I think you could move it closer but please ask a led user before you make any changes

the reason I asked is I couldn't tell if plant had stretched from low-light or if you had pruned some of the lower branches off?

because you're starting to get that undesirable palm tree look to that plant

Edit: I don't feed plants in ffof any nutrients at all for 1-2 months; you should stop feeding that plant in my opinion

M

MoGales

I agree definitely over watered maybe time to put in a bigger pot so it may be easier to manage the watering

I don't use Leds but I bet you could use just one of those for now, also I think you could move it closer but please ask a led user before you make any changes

the reason I asked is I couldn't tell if plant had stretched from low-light or if you had pruned some of the lower branches off?

because you're starting to get that undesirable palm tree look to that plant

Edit: I don't feed plants in ffof any nutrients at all for 1-2 months; you should stop feeding that plant in my opinion
Ok, overwatering isn't too bad of a problem as long as it gets corrected swiftly right?
Yeah I do believe it stretched because in the beginning I had the led's dimmed to their lowest setting as I didn't want to burn the plants (not knowing that these LED's don't really burn unless extremely close) but after I noticed the stretching I turned the lights all the way up and they haven't been stretching since.
I'll definitely stop feeding it for now and see if that helps.
And I've been thinking about transplanting but from what I've read you should only transplant once the fan leaves are just about growing past the edge of the cup (I could be wrong though, as I said, this is my first grow, so im only going off of what I've read and youtube videos), and as of right now my plants seem to be a bit to small (at least compared to the youtube videos I've seen of plants that are the same age as mine, theirs tend to be much bigger/fuller).

M

MoGales

Looks over fed and over watered to me.
This is a problem that can be corrected fairly easily correct? By just not feeding/watering for a little while? or is there more to it than just that

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Fox Farms is usually pretty hot/pre-loaded with a lot of nutrients. The plant is still pretty small and shouldn't need ANY nutrients at this point, especially if you are using FxFarms. The doses of nutrients that the MFgrs make are for large plants...a 8' tall plant is going to take a lot more nutes than a 6" plant, but the dose for feeding is the same. I would suspect the beginnings of a nutrient deficiency due to overdosage of another nutrient that is causing nute-lock. I see a LOT of posts from Fox Farms users who overfeed their plants, not realizing how much fertilizer is already in the soil.
Anyhow, that's my assessment, although it's hard to tell in young/smaller plants. Deficiencies usually take a while to appear, and using Fox Farms, you shouldn't be seeing deficiencies.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

2 weeks in a cup like that transplant that you'll have better luck figuring out your watering good luck and find out about Led height looks too high still
Ok, overwatering isn't too bad of a problem as long as it gets corrected swiftly right?
Yeah I do believe it stretched because in the beginning I had the led's dimmed to their lowest setting as I didn't want to burn the plants (not knowing that these LED's don't really burn unless extremely close) but after I noticed the stretching I turned the lights all the way up and they haven't been stretching since.
I'll definitely stop feeding it for now and see if that helps.
And I've been thinking about transplanting but from what I've read you should only transplant once the fan leaves are just about growing past the edge of the cup (I could be wrong though, as I said, this is my first grow, so im only going off of what I've read and youtube videos), and as of right now my plants seem to be a bit to small (at least compared to the youtube videos I've seen of plants that are the same age as mine, theirs tend to be much bigger/fuller).
Two weeks in a cup then transplant; plus you'll be able to learn to manage your watering better in bigger pot

Start to feed when you notice the plant looking hungry (lime green hue) and then start at 25 - 50% of the recommended dosage

M

MoGales

Fox Farms is usually pretty hot/pre-loaded with a lot of nutrients. The plant is still pretty small and shouldn't need ANY nutrients at this point, especially if you are using FxFarms. The doses of nutrients that the MFgrs make are for large plants...a 8' tall plant is going to take a lot more nutes than a 6" plant, but the dose for feeding is the same. I would suspect the beginnings of a nutrient deficiency due to overdosage of another nutrient that is causing nute-lock. I see a LOT of posts from Fox Farms users who overfeed their plants, not realizing how much fertilizer is already in the soil.
Anyhow, that's my assessment, although it's hard to tell in young/smaller plants. Deficiencies usually take a while to appear, and using Fox Farms, you shouldn't be seeing deficiencies.
thank you for the info! I was completely unaware of the high nutrients in fox farms soil, and now that I think about it, my plants were growing RAPIDLY until I started using the nutrients, now growth has slowed tremendously. i'm definitely going to stop feeding now and see how that helps.

M

MoGales

2 weeks in a cup like that transplant that you'll have better luck figuring out your watering good luck and find out about Led height looks too high still

Two weeks in a cup then transplant; plus you'll be able to learn to manage your watering better in bigger pot

Start to feed when you notice the plant looking hungry (lime green hue) and then start at 25 - 50% of the recommended dosage
thanks a lot for the info, I was really starting to worry id never figure out what the problem may be on my own. ill transplant today and stop feeding and see what happens.

Reactions: Ina
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
You could also try flushing out some of the nutrients in the FF, but that might take a while. Once the plant get's bigger, then it can handle the bigger feed bag. Good Luck!!

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

thanks a lot for the info, I was really starting to worry id never figure out what the problem may be on my own. ill transplant today and stop feeding and see what happens.
I agree with Jim you should consider Flushing. A flush uses 3x the volume of the pot

However, in your case I would just up-pot and give it a thorough but normal watering-in using plain 6.5 pH water

Reactions: Ina
rickysimples

rickysimples

Yeah man, that's a good idea. As others have mentioned, FFOF is hot, it's not really the most ideal medium for starting seeds, but not bad either. Fox Farms makes a mix called light warrior, and happy frog, both would be ideal for starting seedlings since they're not as hot. Once the plants grow up and have a couple nodes of leaves you should be good to go for transplant, usually 2 week in.

The Ocean Forest would be ideal to transplant into, and there's enough pre-amended nutrition in there to keep your plant going for at least a few weeks through veg. By the time you begin flowering is likely when you'll need to start supplementing nutrients.

M

MoGales

Yeah man, that's a good idea. As others have mentioned, FFOF is hot, it's not really the most ideal medium for starting seeds, but not bad either. Fox Farms makes a mix called light warrior, and happy frog, both would be ideal for starting seedlings since they're not as hot. Once the plants grow up and have a couple nodes of leaves you should be good to go for transplant, usually 2 week in.

The Ocean Forest would be ideal to transplant into, and there's enough pre-amended nutrition in there to keep your plant going for at least a few weeks through veg. By the time you begin flowering is likely when you'll need to start supplementing nutrients.
Thanks man, i'm getting for info from you guys than I did at my local gardening store

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

No defiicey, looks like your drowning it, please do not take pics under your light you can't see them, let it dry out, when your plant is under the light you want the leaves pointing up to it, not shying away from the light, at least 2ft more if it's a seedling.

M

MoGales

No defiicey, looks like your drowning it, please do not take pics under your light you can't see them, let it dry out, when your plant is under the light you want the leaves pointing up to it, not shying away from the light, at least 2ft more if it's a seedling.
thanks, I've transplanted the plants yesterday and I don't plan on feeding or watering for a while, the plant is already starting to look better after the transplant.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

thanks, I've transplanted the plants yesterday and I don't plan on feeding or watering for a while, the plant is already starting to look better after the transplant.
there is a way to tell if your plants need water, take your index finger, stick it into the side of you pot up to your second knuckle, if your finger comes out wet don't water, that's my rule of thumb or should I say finger? Lol
It depends what state your in, your not in Connecticut beacuse cultivation is illegal, however I have a bit of experience growing outdoors in New England, in Connecticut I would start my plants mid April and put them out after memorial day as that is the date when there is no possibility of frost and you want your plants to be small plants so they can handle the elements, if your in mass I would put them out after may 31frst, if your up in Maine and I have grown there too you have to wait longer I think we used to put them out after June 15th, that's central Maine it still cold up there and mud season.
I would not say ffof is a hot mix, I use it on autoflowers no problem whatever, I do think happy frog is a hotter medium, my autos don't like it.

Top Bottom