Do I have bugs? Help!

• Thread starter Macorn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Macorn

Macorn

Hello!

I noticed this morning that some of the leaves have some “bites” taken out of them. See photos. If I have bugs, what do I do?

Thanks in advance!

Do i have bugs help
Growrx

Growrx

From what I read, it looks like thrips. I personally use neem oil that I spray my plants with once in a WHILE as a preventative for pests. I could be wrong as many have more experience than me.

R

redshift75

hows the underside look? looks like mites or something like that maybe thrips or aphids. I dont know if i see any bugs to say one way or another just what does appear to be damage. So id investigate more. Neem is good solution. Im in the marrone bio cycle of organic pesticides for the CG stuff. Just investigate and attack em should be good to go :)

Timbola420

Timbola420

Looks like it could be thrips. Check to see if you can see anything crawling around, thrips are tiny and long can be white or slightly orangey depending on their stage of life.

I find them a nightmare to get rid of, they always return. I use Amblyseiulus Cucumeris slow release sachets and neem meal top dressed. I also feed with silica in veg which seems to help a lot. I've learnt to live with them and just concentrate on keeping their numbers down.

Macorn

Macorn

hows the underside look? looks like mites or something like that maybe thrips or aphids. I dont know if i see any bugs to say one way or another just what does appear to be damage. So id investigate more. Neem is good solution. Im in the marrone bio cycle of organic pesticides for the CG stuff. Just investigate and attack em should be good to go :)

From what I can tell the undersides look pretty normal, then again I’m pretty new andnot really sure what to look for. I’ll go pick up some neem and start there. I’ll provide an update. Thanks!!!

R

redshift75

From what I can tell the undersides look pretty normal, then again I’m pretty new andnot really sure what to look for. I’ll go pick up some neem and start there. I’ll provide an update. Thanks!!!
you have a jewelers loop or magnifier by any chance? if you cant see them could be mites that are small. look like little specks of dust on the bottom. could be lots of colors.

Timbola420

Timbola420

Thrips crawl around all over the place, check the whole plant. I find they tend to stay still when I'm moving the plant about. If you spot something but think nothing of it cus it's not moving give it a little prod and see if it does anything.

Macorn

Macorn

So I can confirm it’s Thrips. I went over the plants with a magnifying glass and found lots of little thin buggers, mostly on the stems. I went to the hydroponics store where I live and they didn’t have any neem oil. They recommend that I use insect soap. I’m gonna try it out tonight after the lights go out! Wish me luck.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

G
So I can confirm it’s Thrips. I went over the plants with a magnifying glass and found lots of little thin buggers, mostly on the stems. I went to the hydroponics store where I live and they didn’t have any neem oil. They recommend that I use insect soap. I’m gonna try it out tonight after the lights go out! Wish me luck.
Good luck! Let us know how it goes

Timbola420

Timbola420

Be sure to give repeat applications, chances are you wont get rid of them all the first time.

Timbola420

Timbola420

Oh and try keep temperatures at the lower end. Thrips reproduce a lot quicker in warmer temperatures. If I remember correctly for every degree over 26c they can reproduce twice as quick, up to 28c.

Mr. Krinkle

Mr. Krinkle

Boy i can't believe you guys are trying to tell somebody to take out thrips with neem oil - neem won't do much of anything - don't even waste your time with it.

Spinosad - if you go to Lowe's, Ace, or Home Depot, they'll have some - I prefer Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew over the Monterey garden spray - most times you can take them out in 1 or 2 applications spread 14 days apart - and don't be surprised if you see them mostly gone after just one application

Macorn

Macorn

Oh and try keep temperatures at the lower end. Thrips reproduce a lot quicker in warmer temperatures. If I remember correctly for every degree over 26c they can reproduce twice as quick, up to 28c.
My tent sits at around 22c. after one spray I can see a bunch of dead Thrips, I’m assuming they’re dead, they’re dark brown and not moving, even when prodded.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Boy i can't believe you guys are trying to tell somebody to take out thrips with neem oil - neem won't do much of anything - don't even waste your time with it.

Spinosad - if you go to Lowe's, Ace, or Home Depot, they'll have some - I prefer Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew over the Monterey garden spray - most times you can take them out in 1 or 2 applications spread 14 days apart - and don't be surprised if you see them mostly gone after just one application
Just hit mine today first time ever! mild infestation of mites we will see in a day or two I’m alternating between Azamax and Spinosad

Mr. Krinkle

Mr. Krinkle

Spinosad won't do anything for mites - it'll just take care of thrips

the only time i was able to take out mites with Azamax was when i dipped them rather than spraying them

keep your plants healthy and always look for the least healthiest plant, spider mites prefer the path of least resistance - and if you can, just toss that plant out

but like i said, dipping works the best, so if you can take cuts and then dip them as you're cloning, that works really well

Timbola420

Timbola420

Products containing spinosad aren't as easily available to me so I use neem. It wont kill adults but is effective on larvae. It's a longer battle for sure but still effective.
My tent sits at around 22c. after one spray I can see a bunch of dead Thrips, I’m assuming they’re dead, they’re dark brown and not moving, even when prodded.

Just follow up with a couple more applications. I'm not sure how often or for how long you should use soap though as I've never used it. You need to do follow up applications as thrips lay their eggs with the plant tissue which makes it very difficult to kill them with anything really.

Macorn

Macorn

I believe that I am Thrip free! Can’t find any trace of them now, and I think the plant is looking pretty healthy! I will continue with the soap once a week for a while. Thanks so much for help!

1F5D66A1 84F9 47A0 AE45 D17D5A15379D
Top Bottom