Do I need insulation? Indoor, 24” stone

• Thread starter VinnieV
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
VinnieV

VinnieV

Hello folks!
I normally insulate all my rooms. But recently have a new space that seems ideal to just set up and go, despite one issue - no insulation.
The room has three external walls, all are 24” of sandstone brick (old barn) with a 4” air gap then 1 layer of standard gyproc sheeting. The ceiling isn’t a problem as there is a converted house directly above (mine).

My primary concern is heat signature, I feel I know the answer but want to field it out to anyone who may have tested.

Room temp is fairly consistently 82-84f, outside can at times track freezing (not in summer).
Wouldn’t mind getting one run done to be able to afford stripping and re doing the walls and ceiling.

VinnieV

VinnieV

10'x10' tents. Easy. Cheap.
Cheers ponky! But still would have the same question seeing as the tents wouldn’t have much of a thermal insulating value.
Room is around 10’ x 15’. Typically would run the full thing flood and drain. I also run opticlimate for temp control.
Would like to use the full room as is if possible. Just still concerned about heat signature. Fortunately no heat signature from the roof so I’m semi relieved. But if three external walls show up hot… could be dumb on my part!

edit - typo

Ponky

Ponky

Cheers ponky! But still would have the same question seeing as the tents wouldn’t have much of a thermal insulating value.
Room is around 10’ x 15’. Typically would run the full thing flood and drain. I also run opticlimate for temp control.
Would like to use the full room as is if possible. Just still concerned about heat signature. Fortunately no heat signature from the roof so I’m semi relieved. But if three external walls show up hot… could be dumb on my part!

edit - typo
Well tents are quick to take down and move. If you put up foam board and poly it would be hard to take down in a hurry. A tent insulates decently well. If you have room get a 10x10. And a 5x10 and use the ⅓ for veg and the big side for flower. Or 8x8 and a 4x8 and have some room on the sides.

VinnieV

VinnieV

Only problem is I wouldn’t be able to fit two rooms in due to the width.
I would quite like it to be permanent. Old dog new tricks or something.

I’ve always insulated and sheeted. And then I don’t need to take down after I’m just left with a thermally efficient room ha!

hopefully someone with experience can chime in. I imagine if it was winter I could simply take an infrared laser temp gum out and check with the rest of the building… maybe not as sensitive as a chopper though!

Ponky

Ponky

Well I would use 2x4s and foam board. With poly and tape. Build a setup.

VinnieV

VinnieV

Yeah that’s exactly what I do, well, stud frame, foam board, sheet, poly and tape. Just trying to see if I need to delay this run to fix… flu has made building materials go wild over here

Ponky

Ponky

Yeah that’s exactly what I do, well, stud frame, foam board, sheet, poly and tape. Just trying to see if I need to delay this run to fix… flu has made building materials go wild over here
Here lumber went 5x higher. But foam and insulation stayed put. Poly was the same. House wrap went up. Was inconsistent.

VinnieV

VinnieV

Here lumber went 5x higher. But foam and insulation stayed put. Poly was the same. House wrap went up. Was inconsistent.
Well as we run through all the cheaper products we’re all being forced to move up a grade - by winter we’ll have roofs sheeted with birch ply!

Ponky

Ponky

Well as we run through all the cheaper products we’re all being forced to move up a grade - by winter we’ll have roofs sheeted with birch ply!
124 CDN for a sheet of 3/4 standard ply. Not even birchface... that was the peak. Finished 350 sqf of deck surface and beams just before it happened. Would have cost me thousands. Even concrete doubled.

VinnieV

VinnieV

124 CDN for a sheet of 3/4 standard ply. Not even birchface... that was the peak. Finished 350 sqf of deck surface and beams just before it happened. Would have cost me thousands. Even concrete doubled.
Blooody hell. I’ve stocked up on so much material for jobs on the books. Got a mile of timber at the yard that I’m have tempted to flip for a profit 😂

Ponky

Ponky

Blooody hell. I’ve stocked up on so much material for jobs on the books. Got a mile of timber at the yard that I’m have tempted to flip for a profit 😂
Honestly do it. My lumber guy says the drop is coming for end of summer. Peak price is now.

Top Bottom