Do I need to add anything to Fox farms soil?

• Thread starter asil
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

asil

I just read somewhere (and now I can't find it) That fox farms ocean forest soil is too heavy and needs additives because it is too heavy etc.

After buying this stuff at 18 dollars a bag I thought i was set up with the best. I think the post said perlite and lime? i'm not sure though. What if anything should i add to super expensive soil?

Thanks in advance.

R

Rural_GrowOp

I always add perlite to it. It helps with aeration and drainage. I've heard of people adding dolomitic lime but I personally never have.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
I always add 2 tablespoons of "dolomite" lime per gallon of soil needed. I also mix it 3 parts soil 1 part perlite. I thought I did not need anything extra until I used my second bag and BAM - all kinds of issues. Dolomite lime is dirt cheap. 1 bag is less than $10 and has lasted for over 2 years. Dolomite lime also acts as a buffer for your water feedings so you have more room for error. -RB-

A

asil

Cool........

Thanks guys You just saved me some trouble. :)

M

mothra

Add some light warrior to that ocean forest. Its all I use

N

Nuglover

I add Light Warrior(1/2bag to 1 bag FFOF),perlite,vermiculite,(both for airation,water holding capacity and buffering), dolamite lime, and epsom salts. I also add guano and worm castings for extra nutes. Then just teas after that. Yes...all that. Honestly I'm trying Roots Organic with a few ammendments this run and I'm probably not going back to FFOF. Lovin' the Roots so far.:)

A

asil

Ok, Well i'm definetely stuck with the FF this time as it's already purchased but i'll do some research on the RO and see what i can see. Thanks again everybody. This place rocks!

D

darookie2000

Ok, Well i'm definetely stuck with the FF this time as it's already purchased but i'll do some research on the RO and see what i can see. Thanks again everybody. This place rocks!

I asked about RO today, and the guy told me that it's even hotter than FF. I'm using FF with great results so far. I added about 20-30% perlite and that's it. I flush when planting (tranplanting) into it, because it's high in nitrogen and I have been transplanting young clones into it. I just ran out, so I have to go grab a new bag tomorrow. I'm considering grabbing a bag of RO to try it out, since I have an identical clone (GDP) to one I just transplanted into FF today waiting to move into a bigger pot.

R

ReelBusy1

I always add 2 tablespoons of "dolomite" lime per gallon of soil needed. I also mix it 3 parts soil 1 part perlite. I thought I did not need anything extra until I used my second bag and BAM - all kinds of issues. Dolomite lime is dirt cheap. 1 bag is less than $10 and has lasted for over 2 years. Dolomite lime also acts as a buffer for your water feedings so you have more room for error. -RB-

same here with the second bag/run issue.
i add dolomite lime, perlite, vermiculite and hydrated lime now and I have no issues ...finally.

K

koopa troopa

must add lime for sure... ff's big & chunky perlite works best for drainage imo. i also use the 3:1 ratio for OF to perlite. add in some worm castings and extra mycorrhizae and you got yourself a mix.

purpleberry

purpleberry

FF should add perilitre and lime to there soil, $18 a bag and u have to mix stuff in.
I like the roots organic and i get it for $12 a bag and it doesnt need anything added.

A

asil

I agree....

FF should add perilitre and lime to there soil, $18 a bag and u have to mix stuff in.
I like the roots organic and i get it for $12 a bag and it doesnt need anything added.

I agree with that. Think i might try some of the roots organics side by side with the FF and see what I think if I can get it locally.
:smiley_joint:

D

darookie2000

Do you have to add lime before you plant or can you add later?

O

Old Yeller

The short answer is no - it should be fine right out of the bag for everything but seedlings, but i love messing around with dirt so i add all kinds of stuff - Worm castings, Mushroom compost, Pearlite, Vermiculite, Lime, FF dry Tomato food, Pro-Mix Organic planting mix, dehydrated cow manure, B'Cuzz Coco & the kitchen sink. (same way i make spagetti sauce)
I don't start adding nutes till they're in flower, so i'm thinning out all my "grow" ferts for just "bloom" stuff.

F

Fear

I was using per 35 gallons of premium stinky soil 2 cups Dolomite, 1 cup of sea bird nitro pellets, 1 bag chicken shit (I know it can be a little hot) 1 bag vermiculite. Poor it all together and mix it with shovel. Would of been easier with a cement mixer thing, cheap boss. Rototiller would of been nice too. That's what I was told to do in the Garden up North, That's what I did. Just my 2 cents.

F

Fear

I know someone who has been to the foxfarm plant shall you say and says they have dirty ass dozers dripping oil and diesel into the soil. I don't know if it's true or not. Yup pretty sure foxfarm if they are located in the humboldt area.

Yup that's the one Arcata California. I still have 10 bags of the ocean mix.

F

Fear

Is it sour too Sky? Yea The dudes no slouch runs over 20k in two rooms up north I assume he might know something. I just thought I'd mention it, let people know I don't see why he'd be biast or however you spell it. Roots Organic is a new company in Oregon and they seem pretty hip.

I

itisme

ROOT ORGANIC hhmm. I'll have to try that. I am about to run some BLOOMBASTIC to my flowers when I put them under 12/12 but I did notice I am having a drainage problem using the OCEAN FOREST & LIGHT WARRIOR from FOXFARM. I will try ROOK ORGANIC NEXT TIME.

BLOOMBASTIC is about $210 a bottle for the 44oz size but I have heard GREAT THINGS!
I found it on GROW LIGHT EXPRESS for $155 cheapest out there.

They screwed up and sent me two bottles and told me to keep the extra one. I FIGURE I OWE THEM SOME GOOD PUBLICITY. Really though, it it supposed to be great. Will post results when I am done.

Latest posts

Top Bottom