Do I need to cure?

• Thread starter Bode180
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bode180

This being my first grow I wasn’t expecting to dial everything in, it was a great learning experience and excited for the next grow. I’m pretty sure I fucked up during my drying process. The grow from start to finish had its challenges being done in my shed/garage in the northeast with a September start date. The only way I could maintain a viable temperature in my tent during the drying process was a space heater hooked up to my inkbird. Even though the humidity stayed within a range of 40-60 I believe the space heater dried it out way faster than anticipated. I thought I was supposed to wait for the main stem to snap and never tried the smaller stems which snapped like a twig upon further inspection. Everything was dry as fuck, like crumbled in your fingers dry with some bud intact. Is there even a need to cure at this point? I have two bovida packs in with them inside mason jars now and the humidity is only showing 44%. I sampled a small bit and it was harsh as all hell. Will curing them at that humidity over a period of time lessen that or am I fucked? Worst comes to worst I assume I can make edibles with it if it’s too harsh to smoke?

All part of the learning process, next will be better than the last. So on and so forth.

TSD

TSD

Once they get below a certain level, it's hard to rescue the cure, but you can try with bovedas, 44%... depending how low it got, you should still be able to get some cure happening... worth a shot... if it's too harsh to smoke, make hash or something.

M

MigeJordz

Think you dried it out too much to try cure it if it's on 44% really you needed it to be about 60% putting it for cure , I'm guessing the harsh taste is from it drying out too quick or you didn't take all nutrients out before chopping , don't tek my word for it tho I might be wrong

B

Bode180

No nutrients given during the grow, just water and light. I think those smaller stems could’ve snapped at only a few days in the tent due to that damn space heater. It’s only a 2.5’ by 2.5’ tent so that thing kicked on every few minutes even with trying to insulate it the best I could. Better luck next time I guess

freezeland2

freezeland2

No nutrients given during the grow, just water and light. I think those smaller stems could’ve snapped at only a few days in the tent due to that damn space heater. It’s only a 2.5’ by 2.5’ tent so that thing kicked on every few minutes even with trying to insulate it the best I could. Better luck next time I guess
The harshness is probably attributable to the presence of high levels of chlorophyll still present due to drying to quickly. Drying slowly helps to breakdown that chlorophyll. Once the drying stops whatever chlorophyll remains is there forevermore. Dry your harvest as slow as you can at an rh of 60%.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I don't know if it's possible to cure after the weed gets that dry, but since it's harsh, it would be worth the effort to try.

Do you have any living plants right now? If so, put some of your dry buds in a jar with two or three fresh leaves. Check the humidity after 6 or so hours. If you can get it up to 60-64%, close the jar and then burp every day. If it didn't get up to 60-64%, put in a few more leaves until it does.

If you don't get an improvement in a couple of weeks, it's probably passed the point of no return.

B

Bode180

Next time I would f'off the heater if I was you slower the dry the better , how you growing if you not adding nutrients?

Wanted a dumbed down process for my first grow so went with a pot for pot and followed their directions which later realized were insufficient. If I did t have the space heater the temps would’ve been in the 30’s for the dry. I don’t have the luxury of moving the grow/dry indoors at the moment. Anyone in the northeast run into the same problems or am I a jackass?

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Wanted a dumbed down process for my first grow so went with a pot for pot and followed their directions which later realized were insufficient. If I did t have the space heater the temps would’ve been in the 30’s for the dry. I don’t have the luxury of moving the grow/dry indoors at the moment. Anyone in the northeast run into the same problems or am I a jackass?
You're not a jackass, it can happen to anyone -- especially a newbie.

You'd be better off drying in the 30s, as long as it doesn't freeze. Remember that relative humidity is relative to the temperature. If you heat moist 35F air, it will become very dry warm air, sucking the water out of your plants at a rapid rate.

Curing is a process performed for us by bacteria that are present on the plant. while drying, you don't want to kill the little buggers by drying them out too much or by favoring "other microbes" (that is, fungus) with too much moisture.

T

TinFoilHat

I hang the whole plant in my cold ass basement...it slows down the drying process drastically and creates amazing flavor. The way I tell it's time to jar or grove bag (which I prefer now) is I want the buds stem to crack, but not completely snap like a twig because then you may have gone too far. Honestly drying may just be the hardest part about the whole thing, because too dry of weed sucks but so does wet weed. Lol

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

honestly it may have dropped too low, this is how lessons are learned my friend following you for the next run

B

Bode180

I don't know if it's possible to cure after the weed gets that dry, but since it's harsh, it would be worth the effort to try.

Do you have any living plants right now? If so, put some of your dry buds in a jar with two or three fresh leaves. Check the humidity after 6 or so hours. If you can get it up to 60-64%, close the jar and then burp every day. If it didn't get up to 60-64%, put in a few more leaves until it does.

If you don't get an improvement in a couple of weeks, it's probably passed the point of no return.
I was able to throw in 2 fresh cut leaves and tossed in another bovida 62 pack and the humidity has risen from the 44% at the time of jarring to now 62, 59, and 58% in the three jars. If the humidity hangs around those levels do I still need to burp everyday? Also is there a best practice while curing? Is light still the enemy of the tricomes? Right now the jars are in my garage in a cardboard box, don't know if that will be sufficient while they cure. Thanks again for all the help farmers, might be able to pull a rabbit out of the hat by the end of this one!

freezeland2

freezeland2

I was able to throw in 2 fresh cut leaves and tossed in another bovida 62 pack and the humidity has risen from the 44% at the time of jarring to now 62, 59, and 58% in the three jars. If the humidity hangs around those levels do I still need to burp everyday? Also is there a best practice while curing? Is light still the enemy of the tricomes? Right now the jars are in my garage in a cardboard box, don't know if that will be sufficient while they cure. Thanks again for all the help farmers, might be able to pull a rabbit out of the hat by the end of this one!
No you shouldn’t need to burp

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

i have no experience rescue dry cannabis, but i'm hoping this works out for you my man, if it doesnt you can make edibles ?

Top Bottom