Do indoor plants need mulch?

• Thread starter Righteous.Bush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Righteous.Bush

Righteous.Bush

I recently started my first supersoil grow. I read everywhere that it's good to put mulch on top of the soil for the best results. Where I live I don't have access to the same quality of mulch as you do in the States or Europe. Most mulches (straw, rice husks, barks, coco coir) here are dirt cheap products full of bugs or other undesirables. So I wonder: is it really necessary to mulch weed plants for an indoor grow? Or can I just use landscape fabric? I haven't seen a bug on my soil so far and I'd like to keep it that way....
Thanks!

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

I'm sure a minute in a microwave oven will kill any bugs and eggs in your rice husk.
Rice husk is expensive where I am, it's sold as a natural sores of silica so composting a little husk in your potting medium may not be a bad idea.
As for a top dressing. You could steam or boil it then place it in the sun to dry then top dress with it.

Righteous.Bush

Righteous.Bush

I'm sure a minute in a microwave oven will kill any bugs and eggs in your rice husk.
Rice husk is expensive where I am, it's sold as a natural sores of silica so composting a little husk in your potting medium may not be a bad idea.
As for a top dressing. You could steam or boil it then place it in the sun to dry then top dress with it.

Great.

So, the question was: do indoor plants need mulch?

N

Natep

You are just trying to create shade so the moisture evaporates slower so the mycelium can grow. I forget who it was but a guy on here covered his with pumice. It looked like a great option.

Top Bottom