Do It Yourself Bud Sorter, Twisted Hippie Style!

• Thread starter TheTwistedOne
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TheTwistedOne

We have a small medical cannabis grow and after a few harvests, it became apparent we needed a way to sort buds efficiently. A quick look around the market and I found a handful of solutions…but at a price nobody with common sense would pay. It seems in this industry everyone wants their hands in the proverbial cookie jar. Bud sorters or no different, but you know what? There is always more than one way to skin a cat, and when your pockets aren’t overflowing with 100’s, you improvise. Similar solutions start at around $6000.00 and go north from there. Here’s my solution. Enjoy!
Do it yourself bud sorter twisted hippie style

I made a frame from inexpensive 1x1 14 gauge square tubing. I wanted to be able to sort three different sized buds, smalls, mediums and larges, and do it effectively. I grabbed several twenty foot sticks of 1/4” round stock and using 1/2” angle, I made three sorter grills, spaced 1/4”, 3/4” and 1 1/4” respectively. The 1/4” grate collects the smalls and all the shake. We can separate the smalls from the shake in a screen, and the rest look perfectly hand sorted in their perspective totes.

Do it yourself bud sorter twisted hippie style 2

Do it yourself bud sorter twisted hippie style 4

I needed a way to direct the buds in the proper totes. Here’s what I came up with. This is the rubber baseboard molding you see in schools, hospitals, etc. I welded some 1” angle at 90 degrees and drilled a few holes and used stainless steel hardware to attach them.

Do it yourself bud sorter twisted hippie style 5

I needed to install the sides, and bent a few pieces of aluminum and made a 2” raised edge on both sides to keep the buds in the grate area, then added some cheap automotive edge molding to keep anyone from getting cut on a sharp edge

Do it yourself bud sorter twisted hippie style 9

The final step was creating the final dump, or as we call it, “The Connoisseur Collection”, which are buds simply too large for public consumptio…hehe…

Do it yourself bud sorter twisted hippie style 8

All I lack is a front dump area insert. We used this on the last crop and took what used to be time consuming hand sorting job into a short lived fun experience, and for a fraction of what any other solution would have cost. That’s a win for me, and a piece of equipment that has already paid for itself on it’s very first run. How much did it cost? Around $200 dollars in materials.

Do it yourself bud sorter twisted hippie style 3
Do it yourself bud sorter twisted hippie style 6
Do it yourself bud sorter twisted hippie style 7
Top Bottom