Do LEDs grow plants at the same rate hps do?

• Thread starter Landslide
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Landslide

Landslide

Going to do a room with 2 1k watt hps and 2 gavita 1700 Leds side by side and i want both trays of plants to be the same size when i flower them does anyone know if the hps side will grow biger then the LED side or will they be same

BigCube

BigCube

Going to do a room with 2 1k watt hps and 2 gavita 1700 Leds side by side and i want both trays of plants to be the same size when i flower them does anyone know if the hps side will grow biger then the LED side or will they be same

Not sure about the brand, but the fluence style fixtures are great. If they are using lm301 LEDs.

They should be just as good, if not better if gavita is a decent company. Very shitty price though.

Caterpillar_killa

Caterpillar_killa

Ouch sounds expensive, like previous dude said hps may be more lanky since it’s mainly for flower, MH is known for giving tighter nodes. That being said the led side may be smaller. However, the plants do grow pretty fast under leds, and that gavita will push them to the limits. Hope u plan on running C02 and controlling your environment according to the VPD chart cuz that’s the only way you’re maximize all that light. Experimenting is fun, but there are so any people that have documented their grows with HPS and led and I think led is the way to go. Less heat, more efficient, and they last for YEARS what more could you want? Not to mention, you can veg/flower with half of the amount of electricity you’d burn using hps/mh, essentially making you richer by saving you money on your electricity bill. 👁👄👁

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

The hps side will stretch much more than the led side. Also I am guessing plant structure will be very different.

These led “white” diodes are really just blue phosphors which are mostly blue light which keeps plants short and leafy.

Red spectrums promote stretching and branching. Thats why they have begun adding the red diodes. To grow more like hps did.

Caterpillar_killa

Caterpillar_killa

The hps side will stretch much more than the led side. Also I am guessing plant structure will be very different.

These led “white” diodes are really just blue phosphors which are mostly blue light which keeps plants short and leafy.

Red spectrums promote stretching and branching. Thats why they have begun adding the red diodes. To grow more like hps did.
Mmmmmm....if leds contain mostly blue light then why does the spectrum of a 3500k light have so much red in it when it is only one color temperature, no red diodes? 3000k has even more red, still no added IR and UV.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Mmmmmm....if leds contain mostly blue light then why does the spectrum of a 3500k light have so much red in it when it is only one color temperature, no red diodes? 3000k has even more red, still no added IR and UV.

Looks that way but the plant growth shows otherwise. Its not mostly blue light the phosphors on the diodes change the color but obviously not as much red as hps.

Also an hps is like 2100k.

And i have been wondering how they come up with the color temps when they all show different spectrums but call them 3500k.

Caterpillar_killa

Caterpillar_killa

Looks that way but the plant growth shows otherwise. Its not mostly blue light the phosphors on the diodes change the color but obviously not as much red as hps.

Also an hps is like 2100k.

And i have been wondering how they come up with the color temps when they all show different spectrums but call them 3500k.
Check out medgrower1 on YouTube, his plants are lanky/stretchy and he uses leds. I believe it comes down to the genetics, type of nutrients used, and the growing style (sog,scrog, etc) One day, someday, we will figure this shit out lol. Probably not, but hey we try, we try.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Check out medgrower1 on YouTube, his plants are lanky/stretchy and he uses leds. I believe it comes down to the genetics, type of nutrients used, and the growing style (sog,scrog, etc) One day, someday, we will figure this shit out lol. Probably not, but hey we try, we try.

Of course there are tons of variables and every grow can be different.

And the led’s can be configured and even used differently.

But the question was will the 2 tables be the same for flowering and my answer is no. The hps plants will grow different than the led.

R

redshift75

Of course there are tons of variables and every grow can be different.

And the led’s can be configured and even used differently.

But the question was will the 2 tables be the same for flowering and my answer is no. The hps plants will grow different than the led.
i have 3 different sets now of qb288s I have to say im loving the 3k/4k mix over the straight 3500k diodes. I can definitely see a difference in the tent. the blending options when you start talking potential supplements i mean sky is the limit.

x2 on the "they will be different".

id put money on LED will grow faster through veg and the HPS will have some sweeter colas but overall will probably give it to the LED's. assuming we are tracking wattage.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Mixed spectrum is definitely where it’s at. Having LEDs one color temp does not fill out the spectrum curve like mixed spectrum. I’m not sure UV or IR are needed at all(with quantum LEDs). Imo they are just gimmicks to get you to buy their rig over someone else’s.

R

redshift75

Mixed spectrum is definitely where it’s at. Having LEDs one color temp does not fill out the spectrum curve like mixed spectrum. I’m not sure UV or IR are needed at all(with quantum LEDs). Imo they are just gimmicks to get you to buy their rig over someone else’s.
This is just my opinion based on the data i found. You can find lots of data to swing either way. But to why i dont opt for the UV diodes

I can put a small UV t5 light in my tent and thats good for my whole 4x8 tent. 1 t5 light for that small window of time it has most impact is far more cost effective than it in addition on my quantum boards. Full effect, fractional cost, with none of the added addition to my power as it now can be digitally controlled. IR is different. but to the UV thats my belief. since its highly reflective (edit: reflective not directional *correction)and radiates. The little bit we seek will go a long way.

Thats all If i wanted to add UV again. But yeah some of them and uv-b only ones at like $1200 and such. Wow they can be a touch gimmicky. playing to people who think thats the metric that will take em over the top. for every product that is on the market is at least a few people who think that is the key to the dankest dank.

Bigk

Bigk

There is one company that has some amazing LEDS and claim to put out more than HPS

Landslide

Landslide

Thanks for replys a few things i left out i will be only vegging for a week so thats why i wont bother with mh bulbs
Ouch sounds expensive, like previous dude said hps may be more lanky since it’s mainly for flower, MH is known for giving tighter nodes. That being said the led side may be smaller. However, the plants do grow pretty fast under leds, and that gavita will push them to the limits. Hope u plan on running C02 and controlling your environment according to the VPD chart cuz that’s the only way you’re maximize all that light. Experimenting is fun, but there are so any people that have documented their grows with HPS and led and I think led is the way to go. Less heat, more efficient, and they last for YEARS what more could you want? Not to mention, you can veg/flower with half of the amount of electricity you’d burn using hps/mh, essentially making you richer by saving you money on your electricity bill. 👁👄👁

I am only vegging for a week if that..only reason i will not have MH bulbs ..yes the room is sealed with ac and c02 i do have solar so electricity will be alot cheper then without..

Landslide

Landslide

Also
That will make for a very interesting comparison!
I bet that HPS side will stretch a bit more if u use em for vegging plants...

Maybe vegg the led side a few days before i put the hps side in?? Only vegging for a week then flipping just want to balance out the height

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Simply put the spectrum of the gavitas is a LOT more blue leaning than all HPS bulbs.

This will 100% lower internode length and you will find shorter, tigher node spacing and overall more leaf surface area under the gavitias. This means more transpiration and a larger demand on dehumidification.

You will also find the leaf temps to be much different where your plants under the gavitas will probably like 82-85f room temps the plants under the HPS will probably like 77-80f room temps. This is because of the difference in IR produced between them and therfore you will have lower but more even leaf temps under the gavitas.

Top Bottom