Do more lights equal more yield?

• Thread starter brianakabear
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Do more lights equal more yield?

• Replace The Red/Blue light with the full spectrum.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep them Both.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Depends of Veg or Flower.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
revfunk

revfunk

Supporter
Did you really read the product description? I do not think putting 2 100w led's in a 4x2 is going to be enough. 4x2=8sqft. 8sqft x 40 watt per sqft is 320 watt minimum. 3 of those would not even reach minimum.

This ^^^

One caveat is that judging your LED lighting by wattage alone is not accurate. You need to know the PPFD info about your light. Wattage is a good reference but is not what you should base your choices on.

That being said, if you go on wattage alone 240W is the bare minimum for a 4x2 space. LED efficiency varies from brand to brand based on several factors.

Cheers

brianakabear

brianakabear

This ^^^

One caveat is that judging your LED lighting by wattage alone is not accurate. You need to know the PPFD info about your light. Wattage is a good reference but is not what you should base your choices on.

That being said, if you go on wattage alone 240W is the bare minimum for a 4x2 space. LED efficiency varies from brand to brand based on several factors.

Cheers
What light do you use? What size is your tent?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If LED 30w/sq ft. Is a good place to be. That's actual watts from the wall. I feel a full spectrum is beneficial as spectrum does play a part in plant development. In essence yes MOAR light equals more yield but at a point there is to much. What that point is depends on your setup.

But as I say 30w/sq. Ft. Is a good place to be

Okie338

Okie338

This ^^^

Cheers
No 100 W LED is worth shit, not ever. No good led manufacturer makes a powerful 100w led, it's a waste of money and time 💯

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Im gonna do a post this week on DLI and light saturation to help ppl understand how this light stuff all actually affects the plants if I can find the time. There is a lot to consider and I have seen so many posts of ppl in veg burning the shit out of thier plants lately. Intensity changes the needed photoperiod and vice versa. In veg specifically you can grow under significantly less light than is needed for flower. This is because the photo period.

revfunk

revfunk

Supporter
Im gonna do a post this week on DLI and light saturation to help ppl understand how this light stuff all actually affects the plants if I can find the time. There is a lot to consider and I have seen so many posts of ppl in veg burning the shit out of thier plants lately. Intensity changes the needed photoperiod and vice versa. In veg specifically you can grow under significantly less light than is needed for flower. This is because the photo period.

Totally bro, totally

revfunk

revfunk

Supporter
I agree if your getting 30w+ per sqft you golden. Even 20-30w sqft. will produce decently.

Exactly. Watts are watts, plain and simple. Within that, spectrum comes next. I could've easily used my 240W board in the 4x2x6'11 tent with "average" results but by adding the 100W HLG my watts/square foot hit the mark I prefer. Instead of 30w/sqft adding that simple HLG board brought it to 42.5w/sqft.

The nugs pictured were all grown with those same numbers 🔥

Cheers!

IMG 20200605 221821 592
WF3 cola
White 1
IMG 20200413 231638 617
Fr3nzy

Fr3nzy

• Clones and seedlings: 5,000–7,000 lux
  • Vegetative growth: 15,000–50,000 lux
  • Flowering: 45,000–65,000 lux
  • Maximum recommended amount of light: 75,000 lux
What about even more light? At some point, increasing the light beyond a threshold plant can manage will actually diminish returns. Said differently, once you reach about 85,000 lux, it’s simply too much. Some strains may already show signs of light stress at only 75,000 lux, with the risk of light bleaching increasing at over 80,000 lux. To keep it safe, it is best to stay at or below 75,000

A NOTE ABOUT LED LIGHTS
A lux meter works with all types of “white” lights, which includes HID, CFL, and white LEDs (COB LEDs). However, it doesn’t work with “purple” LED lights, which emit a purple light due to their combination of blue and red LEDs. Unfortunately, most cheaper LED lights are these purple types. So, if you use one of these for growing, you would have to rely on manufacturer information about how much light the product really emits. Alternatively, you could obtain a light meter that can be used with these types of LEDs.

I copied and pasted this. I still use a lux meter on my blurple led and it was burning a plant around 75k so I'm not sure if Samsung's light meter in there phone is able to read it, but idk...

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

• Clones and seedlings: 5,000–7,000 lux
  • Vegetative growth: 15,000–50,000 lux
  • Flowering: 45,000–65,000 lux
  • Maximum recommended amount of light: 75,000 lux
What about even more light? At some point, increasing the light beyond a threshold plant can manage will actually diminish returns. Said differently, once you reach about 85,000 lux, it’s simply too much. Some strains may already show signs of light stress at only 75,000 lux, with the risk of light bleaching increasing at over 80,000 lux. To keep it safe, it is best to stay at or below 75,000

A NOTE ABOUT LED LIGHTS
A lux meter works with all types of “white” lights, which includes HID, CFL, and white LEDs (COB LEDs). However, it doesn’t work with “purple” LED lights, which emit a purple light due to their combination of blue and red LEDs. Unfortunately, most cheaper LED lights are these purple types. So, if you use one of these for growing, you would have to rely on manufacturer information about how much light the product really emits. Alternatively, you could obtain a light meter that can be used with these types of LEDs.

I copied and pasted this. I still use a lux meter on my blurple led and it was burning a plant around 75k so I'm not sure if Samsung's light meter in there phone is able to read it, but idk...
Tested this info out myself as I use lux. I know par meter is better but really it's get me very close and the plants tell me the rest. Once dialed in I just measure and record. Again though the photoperiod will change these and I find an 18/6 light cycle pits these numbers close. If your Running 24/0 you may need to run a bit lower

Dr.B

Dr.B

I just started learning about this yesterday!!! There are growers that run a 12 hour light cycle at 60 - 70% intensity, followed by 6 hours of overhead fluorescent light before dark with some surprising results. I have a hell of a time transitioning my plants from one medium power led to the high power one, pretty much as a rule. I'm running my current veg in seedling mode as of today, the plant is much, much happier in just 6 hours of awake time at 40% light intensity. I'm going to run with it. I'll cycle her up to 75% as I approach flower... Then, no mercy.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I just started learning about this yesterday!!! There are growers that run a 12 hour light cycle at 60 - 70% intensity, followed by 6 hours of overhead fluorescent light before dark with some surprising results. I have a hell of a time transitioning my plants from one medium power led to the high power one, pretty much as a rule. I'm running my current veg in seedling mode as of today, the plant is much, much happier in just 6 hours of awake time at 40% light intensity. I'm going to run with it. I'll cycle her up to 75% as I approach flower... Then, no mercy.
How many watts per sqft?

Top Bottom