Do nanners always pollinate plants?

• Thread starter Pinkharpie18
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Pinkharpie18

Pinkharpie18

Day 35 flower and noticed something odd...lo and behold my first nanners! It's my second grow and my first ended up pollinated but couldn't find sacks or nanners. This grow I was hoping that since there have been less mishaps I would hopefully avoid seeds.
No light leaks that I have found. Soil and water. I lowered my light to 50% power yesterday, from 80%. This one plant out of three was the only one with nanners, all different genetics. Just two nanners on one bud that I could find.
Plucked them off and going to check every day for more. If you've had them before what happened in the end? Lot's of seeds, none, the nanner buds only, mixed bag???

Do nanners always pollinate plants
Do nanners always pollinate plants 2
Do nanners always pollinate plants 3
budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

most will tell you to chop it , i will tell you if your do not have a lot of nanners gently pull them off and keep an eye out but you will have a few seeds , try and figure out why it hermed was it stress is there a light leak ?

Pinkharpie18

Pinkharpie18

most will tell you to chop it , i will tell you if your do not have a lot of nanners gently pull them off and keep an eye out but you will have a few seeds , try and figure out why it hermed was it stress is there a light leak ?
I can't pin point an environmental stressor or reason for it yet. This grow is going smoother than my first, since I implemented and tweaked what worked and didn't for me.

No light leaks I have found. No bugs. Doesn't seem to be any glaring nutrition imbalances (based on my very inexperienced eyes). The temperature and humidity has been mostly within ideal VPD range. Airflow with fans but not excessive. Topped but no defoliation.

The plant with the two nanners is a Fat Cat Labs Zebra fruit. The other two plants are Iron Throne Katsu Seeds and Yikes Exotic Genetix. I am definitely not killing it off, just plan on plucking any more off and see how it goes. I wonder what most growers have experienced with nanners and finishing the grow. At 35 days in flower and two nanners popping up seems bad though probably lol.

BB22

BB22

I’m a newer grower less than two years experience. If I overfeed. That’s a really big deal and not good one. ✌️🧟‍♂️

Pinkharpie18

Pinkharpie18

I’m a newer grower less than two years experience. If I overfeed. That’s a really big deal and not good one. ✌️🧟‍♂️
I am a bit odd and do a mixture of super/living soil type that I mix up and just water only for the grow. I did a base mix the first grow and tweaked my soil for the second grow.

Unfortunately that means I kind of just ride it out lol. I make notes and try to discern what is lacking but all this is very new to me. Two years is over double my experience lol! I wish I had experience to tell when my plants are experiencing deficiency or excess. Troubleshooting better I guess comes with time and knowledge.

BB22

BB22

I am a bit odd and do a mixture of super/living soil type that I mix up and just water only for the grow. I did a base mix the first grow and tweaked my soil for the second grow.

Unfortunately that means I kind of just ride it out lol. I make notes and try to discern what is lacking but all this is very new to me. Two years is over double my experience lol! I wish I had experience to tell when my plants are experiencing deficiency or excess. Troubleshooting better I guess comes with time and knowledge.
It’s a fun journey ✌️❤️🤓

Pinkharpie18

Pinkharpie18

Nanners can be sterile or have viable pollen. Unfortunately if you see one it has most likely already released pollen. From what I have read, nanners are normally a genetic trait
Yeah I've been trying to find out where the pollen resides in the "Nanner". It doesn't open like a pollen sack does it?

Pinkharpie18

Pinkharpie18

You can still get a decent yield
Right, my last grow was quite seeded and pollinated somehow but ended up with a good amount. I would feel horrible chucking the plant out at this point. 🤞Hopefully 3rd grow is the charm with no seeds lol!🤣

A

azbassist

Day 35 flower and noticed something odd...lo and behold my first nanners! It's my second grow and my first ended up pollinated but couldn't find sacks or nanners. This grow I was hoping that since there have been less mishaps I would hopefully avoid seeds.
No light leaks that I have found. Soil and water. I lowered my light to 50% power yesterday, from 80%. This one plant out of three was the only one with nanners, all different genetics. Just two nanners on one bud that I could find.
Plucked them off and going to check every day for more. If you've had them before what happened in the end? Lot's of seeds, none, the nanner buds only, mixed bag???
I'm right in the same boat with you :-( . Week 7 of flower and 2 nanners showed up. I'm following your thread and stated my own. How is she looking now?

Pinkharpie18

Pinkharpie18

I'm right in the same boat with you :-( . Week 7 of flower and 2 nanners showed up. I'm following your thread and stated my own. How is she looking now?
Haven't found anymore since the two I spotted and plucked off at day 35 flower. I'm on day 48 now and they don't seem pollinated. I'm just checking everyday and letting them finish as is lol. I will see if they actually produce seeds or not. 🤞 Good luck on your grow!

Resized 20240317 195927
Resized 20240317 195933
Resized 20240317 195937
Resized 20240317 195941
Resized 20240317 200000
Resized 20240317 2000460
Resized 20240317 200121
RoscoTom

RoscoTom

In my experience, nanners aren't so bad.
I'm still growing from seeds I "made" a few years ago.
GMO and Blueberry.

G

GreenNotYellow

The first photo in this line looks like hermaphrodite, removing the pollen bags is just enough to let the plant flower with pretty good yield actually. Or you can let it self-pollinate and get a ton of seeds

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

no nanners do not always pollinate plant, could it be nanners that happen at the beggining of flowering stretch or nanners that show near the end of flowering.

i deal with one or a few hermie phenotypes per batch of seeds rather often, not always but time to time.

unlike what most think pollen don't spread that easily until you have really a strong airflow where's it's released or you shaking the plant noticeably.

I had numerous time some pollen release bottom of the canopy because i failed to remove all the sac, i didn't even care to remove it and neutralize pollen with some water no seeds in the end.

with bananas and/or sac that happen near the end of flower most of the time they won't even release some pollen until you harvest.

depending how mature they are at the time you spot them, you may take less risk leaving them in place than removing them.

Last edited:
S

SamSquatch

I have found that the latest and greatest strains, especially those with Girl Scout Cookies in the genetic history are prone to making Hermie's. Try to stick to the old established strains, I know that is hard, because the new strains sound so delicious. Im going to give it one more chance, Bubble Gum Sherb sounds so yummy. If your plants do herm do like we did back in the 70s, get a LP record album that folds in the middle, grind your weed, put it on the record album, elevate it, use a plastic card to sift thru the weed to let the seeds roll down the incline.

Latest posts

Top Bottom