do plants sweat?

• Thread starter audius
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
audius

audius

i was looking at my girls tofay & noticed a few ,wet spots ,,wtf?,,im not spraying then . the temps are never above 80,& humitdy is around 45 to 60 %,,there 6 weeks in flower ,& no sorry i dont have pics yet,,=(..so is this something i should worry about? :rasta2:

S

SRHninja

whats the room like? your venting? is it in a tent? that would help with getting you a answer faster

C

CAPO

ya ...it's called transpiration and you will see wet spots where leaves touch each other...perfectly normal.

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
Plants can not store foods like ppl can, If it is not too excessive the plants tries to adapt to the high fertilized medium it is in ,,
healthy plants can uptake and expel certain amounts threw the leaves , this excess can be sweated (an act of ATP) out of the leaves, and onto other leaves , you ever move a leave and see a wet spot on another leaf it was laying on? This is what im talking about ,the plant sweating ,, In this sweat the ph is balanced ,because it came from the plant ,, and it has to have a balanced ph ,, also in this sweat is nutrients the plants did not use or could not use ,, or the by product of what it did use. This is the start of were PM can and will grow it has the things it needs to grow ,, being a balanced ph medium to grow on ,, and the medium ( being the leaf )
has now a food source ,, ( came from the ATP reacting the sweat contains nutrients ) to use and flourish .

Maybe this will help.

Posted by Sunsimulator on another thread.

audius

audius

thanks guys for the info,,allways most helpfull,,no im not venting per say,,my grow box is 4x6x5,& the reaason is im using co2

I

Inuit

Ummm, a little misinfo in this thread, but not too much.

Transpiration is a necessary process. As water leaves the leaves, more is drawn up the phloem tubes. Areas without airflow that have leaves touching can become micro-climates around the leaves, causing condensation. I wouldn't worry unless your garden is huge or you've got full indica's in flowering.

Also ATP is recycled in almost all organism. ADP (adenoise di phosphate) becomes phosphorylated to ATP. It is a much to costly to produce ATP to allow it to leave in the transpiration stream.

I

audius

audius

no big crop,,just 5 plants,looking pretty,,just wanna keep them that way

M

Motherhugger

Plants need water to grow and to sustain life. Just like us they 'breathe' and when they do, that can end up on the leaves. It's no big deal, but if it's sitting there for a while, you might have some troubles with mold and other pesky things.

That said, you don't want your plants drowning either as it will cause the plant to not be able to breathe and thus they will not grow.

Great question - really sounds like you're watching your plants closely. THat's an awesome habit to get into.

:afroweed:

S

SkyHi

Ummm, a little misinfo in this thread, but not too much.

Transpiration is a necessary process. As water leaves the leaves, more is drawn up the phloem tubes. Areas without airflow that have leaves touching can become micro-climates around the leaves, causing condensation. I wouldn't worry unless your garden is huge or you've got full indica's in flowering.

Also ATP is recycled in almost all organism. ADP (adenoise di phosphate) becomes phosphorylated to ATP. It is a much to costly to produce ATP to allow it to leave in the transpiration stream.

I

So were is the misinformation?

C

CAPO

I think Inuit disagrees with ATP leaving the plants system through transpiration bro.
Sunsimulator is one smart cookie, but I highly disagree with the mention of moisture causing the start of Powdery Mildew. I believe he meant Downy Mildew.

R

revolutionseeds

Premium Member
Supporter
The simple answer to your question is yes. And like CAPO said...the water on your leaves is from them touching. Where do you think the water goes that you water your plants with? A lot of it is transpired through the leaves. That's also why humidity rises in your grow room as the plants get bigger....they use more water....transpire more water. High humidity will cause pm to show, high nitrogen levels, dry roots and a humid environment also cause pm to show. Sounds like your packed them too tight. If you have the room you should spread them out and try and lower your humidity 10-15%.

C

CAPO

The simple answer to your question is yes. And like CAPO said...the water on your leaves is from them touching. Where do you think the water goes that you water your plants with? A lot of it is transpired through the leaves. That's also why humidity rises in your grow room as the plants get bigger....they use more water....transpire more water. High humidity will cause pm to show, high nitrogen levels, dry roots and a humid environment also cause pm to show. Sounds like your packed them too tight. If you have the room you should spread them out and try and lower your humidity 10-15%.

Yep...Exactly..well said. I completely agree with you about your facts and PM.

When I first heard of Krusty Buckets, I went mad. Doing research like mofo. I thought this guy is crazy..HIGH HUMIDITY...wtf.
Looking at his plants was undeniable though!
I remember(in all my researching) a little blurb on transpiration:
(something to the effect of)
Leaves do a lot of the transpiring, but it also happens from the soil to the Stomata on the underside of the leaves. This claim stuck in my head. I grow in soil and it made a lot of sense to me at the time. Seems plants eat with their roots, but also use evaporative water from the ground as well.

Thought you guys might find that interesting.

audius

audius

once again you guys input is just outstanding,,yes things are getting a lil crowded in the room,,good thing i think,,next round im gonna cut back on the plant count,. this is just the first time ive ever seen this before & didnt want the goodness leaving the plant.

J

Jalisco Kid

About 1.5 hours after lights out a plant really off gases,sweat,transpires. Without a dehuey the rh in my room will jump from 55-60 to 90%% rh then slowly goes back down. pH in healthy leaves are 6.4 and does not drift all that much. I really was not sure what that balanced pH meant.
Good reason for indirect air movement at night.
A plant dumps almost 99% of the water taken up by the roots,it is evaporated from the cell walls and taking in co2 also causes this. I am not biologist but I believe ATP has to do do with respiration not transpiration. He might have meant ABA(abscisic acid) which controls transpiration by closing things down.
But yes plants sweat. Suerte JK

Latest posts

Top Bottom