Do roots grow from stems under soil?

• Thread starter SamRD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SamRD

SamRD

Lets say I start a seed in a party cup and then transplant to a final bigger pot. If I bury as much of the stem as possible beneath the soil of the final pot during transplant and leave only the top node above soil (all leaves beneath are trimmed beforehand) will roots grow from portion of the stem that is now buried?

Just want to make sure I'm not wasting space that could be filled with roots.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Lets say I start a seed in a party cup and then transplant to a final bigger pot. If I bury as much of the stem as possible beneath the soil of the final pot during transplant and leave only the top node above soil (all leaves beneath are trimmed beforehand) will roots grow from portion of the stem that is now buried?

Just want to make sure I'm not wasting space that could be filled with roots.
You could but it would be more likely that the stem will rot and the seedling will die. Just plant it like normal.

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

I was going to skip this one as I’ve been warned not to do it. However I read that cannabis is one of the plants that will root off the stem if buried.

As rot can occur it’s up to you to decide if this is right for you or not.

I have been growing with at least 2” - 3” of space between the top of my soil and soft pot rim. When I transplant I put it a few inches from the bottom after mixing and adding whatever is available this grow. That doesn’t mean you plant it 12” below the rim of a larger pot, you match your plant to the next pot size up your transplanting to.

I keep the stem area dry most of the time and watch for softness. (Do water the root ball at least once a month, not just edge of the pot.)

I also remove the bottom 2 or 3 nodes on pre-veg a week or two before transplant. I use these for the next set of clones. Let’s me keep things off the soil and helps keep things tight and short before LST/HST.

Latest posts

Top Bottom