Do Roots Need Pure Darkness.

• Thread starter Mardi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mardi

Mardi

Hi all

My first post, I have made my own aeropod system with blue buckets I would imagine it would have blue light shining through although reduced somewhat. I have baskets installed into the lids, will this a be problem??

Kind regards

ken dog

ken dog

Depends on what you mean by, will it be a problem?... I mean, will it be the least of your problems?... Most likely.
Obviously, total darkness is the best... Your roots don't like the light, and algae likes the light.
I say go with what you've got for now (you could always wrap it with something to block out more light if you wanted)...And I think it's pretty cool you built your own system.:)

Mardi

Mardi

Depends on what you mean by, will it be a problem?... I mean, will it be the least of your problems?... Most likely.
Obviously, total darkness is the best... Your roots don't like the light, and algae likes the light.
I say go with what you've got for now (you could always wrap it with something to block out more light if you wanted)...And I think it's pretty cool you built your own system.:)

Thanks, good to know well at some stage I will cover it.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

You might fight ph and some root probs. I have a blue bucket that I start them in because it's smaller (1.5gal) if I don't wrap them the water can get a lil funky quicker. I wrap with foil but they are only in that bucket till roots show from bottom of net (10-14days max). I recommend a wrap, either tape or plastidip paint. Something flexible so it won't chip off easy.

phenotyper

phenotyper

I purposely use white containers to flower in and clear cups for cloning for the very fact that they get light pruned. When they are light pruned, they back off from circling the growing medium and will bush out more. Of course the coco coir in the pot provides the needed darkness, but yes to light pruning. Blue light? Unclear, but probably would prune to some degree.

Mardi

Mardi

The sprinkler will spray right onto basket on a timer getting both medium and roots. Now I'm thinking light pruning might be something to consider as roots do not need to suspend in water.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

The sprinkler will spray right onto basket on a timer getting both medium and roots. Now I'm thinking light pruning might be something to consider as roots do not need to suspend in water.
Your roots are gonna be in the water lol. You'll have a basketball sized rootball of they are anything like mine. Idk how you would maintain a monster without a matching rootball.
Just leave em dark and let them grow.

Top Bottom