• Thread starter woodsmaneh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Do we need Air Stones?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Quantum9

Quantum9

The premise that DO is the only way that O2 is used during water culture is flawed, and unquestioned in this thread.

Saturation is important, though relatively easily accomplished.

Other contributing factors are at large.

ttystikk

ttystikk

The premise that DO is the only way that O2 is used during water culture is flawed, and unquestioned in this thread.

Saturation is important, though relatively easily accomplished.

Other contributing factors are at large.

Then you've failed to read my posts carefully.

Quantum9

Quantum9

There wasn't a whole lot for me to miss….

You are missing the role free O2 plays in solution up-take. Without free O2 in contact with the rhizosphere, (bubbles) osmosis cannot take place.

You guys are doing some ground breaking data collection on grower appreciation of breakfast meat though.

Last edited by a moderator:
UCMENOW

UCMENOW

My observation has been pretty consistent over the years.

Plants will certainly grow with minimal agitaion and no air diffusers in the plant modules.

Though, the roots that grow are far more flaccid and less vital than those grown in the presence of diffused bubbles and turbulence. This tended to result in:

1) lower essential oil content
2) higher deposition of sediment in grow mods
3) fewer fine root hairs and fish bone type root developement
4)less transpiration and inturn lower plant metabolism
5)necessity for use of nutes at higher concentrations given the reduced nutrient uptake efficiency
6) looser flower development

Assuming none of the above matters, then I would say growing without air diffusers is great.

For anyone who is curious, do the side by side and judge for yourself.

IMO, this debate is remnisent of the rhetorical "I don't need a chiller" discussion.

Seems to me the strongest opinions areoften held by the weakest growers.

I'll take air diffusers all day.

40114b51
091a1dce
ttystikk

ttystikk

@UCMENOW You have touched on exactly why I'm experimenting with airless aeration- I wasn't satisfied with the agitation action I was getting from air stones, so I'm doing a waterfall approach with a 1/2" opening to increase velocity into the tub water. These are aimed under the pots to ensure agitation and bubbling through the roots, as well as water circulation to transport nutrients. So far, I've learned that there is a sweet spot to this approach and that either too much or too little water pressure are both undesirable.

Re. Water chilling; I'm not that guy- I'm the guy who cools my whole op from tubs to air handling via water chilling- and I heat my house with the chiller's 'waste heat' all winter. Even as I write this it's running and warming things nicely. Saves me a thousand bucks in gas bills every winter here in Cold-ass Colorado!

Quantum9

Quantum9

Seems to me the strongest opinions areoften held by the weakest growers.

I'll take air diffusers all day.

So funny, but so true. Ill holla later this week playa, lots more to catch up on.

J

james.olson98

There wasn't a whole lot for me to miss….

You are missing the role free O2 plays in solution up-take. Without free O2 in contact with the rhizosphere, (bubbles) osmosis cannot take place.

You guys are doing some ground breaking data collection on grower appreciation of breakfast meat though.

THANK YOU!!

It seems like everyone forgets that oxygen doesn't have to be dissolved to be taken in. Otherwise the aeroponics guys would have plants drowning in open air. I've come to love the arguments about which method of aeration is better based almost solely on a 5% difference in DO levels.

Latest posts

Top Bottom