Do you have to do the "cook" part with organic soil.

• Thread starter Dtraderbudz23
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Dtraderbudz23

Rather than putting all my ingredients in the dirt and just planting right away. Why do you have to seal it up and leave it out in the sun for 30+ days? Would not cooking and just using the soil right away with the minerals and what not you add just not work?

R

ritoMox

I'm pretty sure that "cooking" is what you're doing with the 30+ days in the sun.
Edit: Novice here, but what I've read, "cooking" is for the purpose of making everything plant-available and to mellow everything before planting in it. 2¢

2Bad

2Bad

The answer is .... You don't have to cook it as long as you have microbial life aka mycorhizae .. The cooking is just a way get wayyy more microbial life without putting any in.

steamroller

steamroller

Never mind the product they are selling,but this may apply?
Oddly enough I am very interested in steam lately...
Maybe 'cooking the soil' doesn't need to take 30 days.
And big no to oven unless you are wanting to sterilize...
Think about composting or look it up...

JerzeyMike

JerzeyMike

I just watched a video from kis organics, canadian company, i believe. He breaks it down very simple and, no it doesnt always take 30 days. What theyre talking about is monitoring the temperature. Once the soil temp goes down and stays down, youre done cooking. I believe its all in what youre starting with in your mix that determines the cook time. I am certainly no expert tho!

Top Bottom