Do You Really Need Big Pots?

• Thread starter Nog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
X.rm

X.rm

I have been using about 3 gallon pots for a few runs, and I have found, unless you veg the plants for a fair while, the roots don't use up much of the pot.

The roots are the size of the previous smaller pot they were in, and haven't spread out much into the bigger pot.

Which makes me wonder why I use a bigger pot in the first place.

One advantage of a bigger pot is having to water less often.

Another advantage is because the bigger pots take up more room, they are further apart, therefore giving the plants more room to spread out sideways.

I suppose it depends on how big you are growing the plant, if growing small plants then having them in big pots would make them too far apart, leaving gaps which, if growing in smaller pots closer together, would be filled.

What do people here think is the best size pot for indoor growing in soil?
For soil might be different than for oyher mddiums. Eventhough in coco vonditions are dimilsr. I would recommend aerating youf doil a bit more. Adding amendments like perlite, grow rocks, of even pebbles might hrlp with drainage snf mskd youf root s grow in search oc moisture and nutes. Thus icreasin

N

Nog

I use coarse perlite, I don't think drainage is a problem.

It seems that plants don't do much root growing in flower.

I may need to add additional phosphorous for root growth.

I also tend to use pretty high nitrogen, even in flower, which I have heard can inhibit root growth, as all the growth stimulation goes to the leaves and stems.

Next go I'm going to see if I can get just potassium and phosphorous by themselves, and use that in flower and see what happens.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I suppose you can do a semi sea of green, that is instead of veging clones for two weeks grow them in a bigger pot and veg them longer but still keep them short and un-topped, and stack them close together.
Seems the way to highest yields in a shorter time.

Of course your numbers may double or triple doing this, and if you are in an illegal place where they go by plant numbers, then it may be the difference between a fine or going to the big house.
Yes, there are trade-offs either way. Right now California's MMRSA laws are guiding us towards canopy (though I'm still not exactly crystal clear on how that's being calculated), and so plant count is irrelevant UNLESS you live where there are plant counts, which just happens to be the case where I am at the moment--limited both by canopy and count.

I landed on the method by recommendations of old timers and like I said, my damned back. I still greatly GREATLY prefer OD, too.

X.rm

X.rm

I use coarse perlite, I don't think drainage is a problem.

It seems that plants don't do much root growing in flower.

I may need to add additional phosphorous for root growth.

I also tend to use pretty high nitrogen, even in flower, which I have heard can inhibit root growth, as all the growth stimulation goes to the leaves and stems.

Next go I'm going to see if I can get just potassium and phosphorous by themselves, and use that in flower and see what happens.
I would definitely recommend reducing if not eliminating nitrogen during the last phases of flowering. Increase both phosphorus and potassium.

N

Nog

Yes, I'm thinking give them some N along with P and K at week two, and then just P and K for the rest, giving the last feed two weeks before harvest.

I think giving them N at the time of flipping to 12/12 might make them stretch too much.

MendoAdome

MendoAdome

Indoor pots are 20s, outdoor most are 35 got one 65. Gota stay low key growing outdoor in the suburbs. Or someone be snachin up me crops. Indoor depending on strain 3-6 feet.View attachment 617439this me current crop in 20s week 2 pre flower.

Nice DE Opened Phantoms in da house! Your da man! 1gal/foot general rule of thumb mothafucka! Cube-4"-1gal-3gal- 5/6gal depending on how high you plan on those beauts getting.

What is your yield good sir? Final sellable flower per light

Hey man you think you could have done a little worse job on that ceiling though? I can see gaping holes.

MendoAdome

MendoAdome

You need to add Heavy16 Roots for roots bra! Shit splits your root hairs doubling your nute uptake. make sure your running SAR too.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Nice DE Opened Phantoms in da house! Your da man! 1gal/foot general rule of thumb mothafucka! Cube-4"-1gal-3gal- 5/6gal depending on how high you plan on those beauts getting.

What is your yield good sir? Final sellable flower per light

Hey man you think you could have done a little worse job on that ceiling though? I can see gaping holes.
Last round 91/4p final sellable.? I know the ceiling sucks no holes spray foam does the trick. Just harvested the picks in this post. Deleaved but not trimmed and off the branch 11.9 p. Trimming tomorrow I'll keep posted on final weight

N

Nog

This coming run will be a mix of Black Widow clones from the clone mother I selected out of 5 clone mothers, and some Black Widow x Bubba's Gift from some seeds I made. And a few Afghani #1.

Just got to finish off the present grow. Should be able to harvest them today. The yield will be pretty pathetic; not enough veg time and some low yielding phenotypes. And I don't know what else went wrong.

I'm getting sick of low yielding long flowering plants, I spend all that time growing them for not much of a yield.

I'm going to order some Mr Nice Critical Mass, and start getting serious about getting some real weight.
I want something that will finish early, not have to sit there chewing my fingernails nervously and fretting about when they will be ready.
I want something I can harvest at 6 or 7 weeks and it will have weight and bag appeal.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Gavitas, there the go to for me at this point. Still researching other doubles. Lots to learn at this point.

MendoAdome

MendoAdome

Well they got bought out by Scotts so some people have started to go with other manufacturers.

ohryan1

ohryan1

I use 20s. It works great, after harvest the pots are completely full of roots.
I know this post is a few years old. I'm hoping you are still alive and well! If you are, will you please tell us how many ozs roughly did you harvest off 20 gallon pots?

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
I know this post is a few years old. I'm hoping you are still alive and well! If you are, will you please tell us how many ozs roughly did you harvest off 20 gallon pots?
I’m still around, Lol:)
A rough estimate would be 8-12 back then.
I think I’ve improved that number after all the years from this thread.
Pushing 12-16 but you have to take in all the variables, ultimately genetics will dictate your final harvest weight number.

Latest posts

Top Bottom