Do you still flush?

• Thread starter GrimloxK
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GrimloxK

I've read opposing opinions on if you need to flush. What works best for you?

S

Shady Acres

yes, i flush for 2 weeks.

where did you read the opposition to flushing?

B

Beasters X Haze

Nope juice them to 1500 ppm right before you chop. Instant Chemdog nugs!!!!

Big V

Big V

Alot of organic soil growers don't flush. I stop feeding around day 45 and make sure I get good run off every watering after that and by the time day 65 or 70 rolls around the soil is pretty well depleted of nutes. I do a soft flush to get the trash out before harvest but as long as you make sure you get good run off there really is no need to flush if you are growing organically in soil. If you are growing with synthetic nutes then flushing is a must IMO.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Indeed, if you're growing in the ground good luck getting that "flushed." Big V also brings up another excellent point in that the definition of flushing may be different for folks. I no longer pass gallons and gallons of water (multiple x's pot volume) through my potted plants prior to harvest. I now just stop feeding, after tapering off, and I still consider that to be equivalent to flushing. I've tried that method against using FloraKleen (or was it Clearex? Now I can't remember) according to label directions one week prior and noted no real difference, i.e. if you want to keep feeding up until that point, I think you can IF you use a good clearing agent.

Let me caution all of what's previously posted by saying I have never grown in a purely hydroponic (fluid only) scenario, I have always used some sort of medium. I don't know if that makes a difference in methodology.

L

LUDACRIS.

Although i use organic nutes that reqs the plants be flushed just the once before harvest i dont flush (as in running water through the pots). I simply give them just water for the last 2 weeks as normal (i only water 2x per week) so after 2 weeks i am ready to chop.

LUDA.
(happy chopping).
:)

DesiretheFire

DesiretheFire

Although i use organic nutes that reqs the plants be flushed just the once before harvest i dont flush (as in running water through the pots). I simply give them just water for the last 2 weeks as normal (i only water 2x per week) so after 2 weeks i am ready to chop.

LUDA.
(happy chopping).

Ya I agree, I believe the actual flushing of the pots is unnecessary, just give them water for the last two weeks

E

edro51

Last two weeks with water and molasses only, good flaver,smooth...

edro

L

LUDACRIS.

Alot of organic soil growers don't flush. I stop feeding around day 45 and make sure I get good run off every watering after that and by the time day 65 or 70 rolls around the soil is pretty well depleted of nutes. I do a soft flush to get the trash out before harvest but as long as you make sure you get good run off there really is no need to flush if you are growing organically in soil. If you are growing with synthetic nutes then flushing is a must IMO.

Indeed, if you're growing in the ground good luck getting that "flushed." Big V also brings up another excellent point in that the definition of flushing may be different for folks. I no longer pass gallons and gallons of water (multiple x's pot volume) through my potted plants prior to harvest. I now just stop feeding, after tapering off, and I still consider that to be equivalent to flushing. I've tried that method against using FloraKleen (or was it Clearex? Now I can't remember) according to label directions one week prior and noted no real difference, i.e. if you want to keep feeding up until that point, I think you can IF you use a good clearing agent.

Let me caution all of what's previously posted by saying I have never grown in a purely hydroponic (fluid only) scenario, I have always used some sort of medium. I don't know if that makes a difference in methodology.

These are by far the 2 best opinions on what to do in MY opinion.

LUDA.

Big V

Big V

I appreciate the props Luda. The OP is kind of a loaded question IMO. This all depends on your grow method and there are at least a few variables to consider. I also grow in DWC and I always do a 10 day flush with Hydro Honey or the bud comes out Harsh and smelling like hay. Two completely different ball games. In the end it comes down to personal preference and how picky you are about what you smoke. My way works best for me because when growing organically in soil I don't enjoy trying to drowned my plants before I chop them down. I think it adds undue stress in a time where I don't want my girls to be stressed but in DWC or Coco this is not the case. Flushing actually relieves stress and triggers the plant to ripen.

Peace, V

L

LUDACRIS.

I appreciate the props Luda. The OP is kind of a loaded question IMO. This all depends on your grow method and there are at least a few variables to consider. I also grow in DWC and I always do a 10 day flush with Hydro Honey or the bud comes out Harsh and smelling like hay. Two completely different ball games. In the end it comes down to personal preference and how picky you are about what you smoke. My way works best for me because when growing organically in soil I don't enjoy trying to drowned my plants before I chop them down. I think it adds undue stress in a time where I don't want my girls to be stressed but in DWC or Coco this is not the case. Flushing actually relieves stress and triggers the plant to ripen.

Peace, V

I am just a soil grower who knows little about hydro but it bugs me when experienced people give good soild and accurate advice and then it's challenged but i know people have different opinions and thats it.
I only give out advice if can back up from my experience and the knowledge i have read.

CHRIS.

(google aint hard to use for begginers).
:worried

G

GrimloxK

Yea I def followed you guys' advice and flushed...but I re-evaluated my plant and I'm gonna give her a couple more weeks to fatten up hopefully. I had to reintroduce some nutes to her yesterday with my watering so hopefully she takes well to that and I can see some improvement.

mango420

mango420

Depending on the nutes you use, flushing with a product like Floraclean is an absolute must. Ive tried flushing with straight water for 2 weeks and was the worst decision ever. Plants did not fatten up and yeild was terrible. And still the finished product had black ash. Wasnt until I learned of Floraclean that I saw white ash for the first time in years. IMO flushing once with double the amount of FC was just as good as flushing for a week. 2 solid flushings with FC and the smoke was clean and white ash. and deff wait till the medium drys before cutting down your plants.

rusty

rusty

fushing is debatable… and has been debated extensively. I personally don't think it makes a real noticeable difference… its one of those old school conventional wisdoms thats turned into dogma. That said, i actually do flush 2 weeks in my ebb n flow just to conserve on nutrients, haha. Anyways, read this if you want to understand why people have been trying to disprove flushing for years and years:

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/how-grow-marijuana/71685-critical-look-preharvest-flushing.html

Blaze

Blaze

Flushing of some kind is an absolute must, even with soil, and even with organics. I have have seen many organic buds that were harsh and tasted like crap because the person did not flush them. Feeding right up until the end or harvest, regardless of your grow style or method, will produce an inferior product every time. Some people do not seem to notice or care, but if you have a developed palette, you can spot the difference right away almost every time.

I

Insomniac420

Hey I saw this post even though it was a little bit ago. I just bough florakleen from general hydroponics. And this kinda hit on my question. So with Florakleen, do i need to still double my pot size in terms of watering? meaning i grow in 5 gallon pots, so 10 gallons. Because im now using florakleen for a trial run, do i still need to use a full 10 gallons or would your recomment using like 2 or three gallons of regular water with florakleen?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I honestly have no idea. I'd have to ask the folks who use the stuff regularly.

Top Bottom