Do you supplement sulphur for plants

• Thread starter simonkay
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
simonkay

simonkay

Growmies I've been Reading up on NPK & PPMs; your plant will need more sulphur (400 max) than nitrogen (350 max) in its cycle

So the question arises is their enough naturally occurring sulphur in my grow to get to harvest, Google states compost contains 0.5% but what if it's been recycled or leeched.

I use GH flora nova & it contains 2% so I'm only adding a tiny amount each time. Humic acid range from 1-3% so again small amounts added to the system. Is this something to keep an eye on? Please explain why . Tia 👊 (small page below explaining link between sulphur and yield)

Neuro

Neuro

If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.
Growmies I've been Reading up on NPK & PPMs; your plant will need more sulphur (400 max) than nitrogen (350 max) in its cycle

So the question arises is their enough naturally occurring sulphur in my grow to get to harvest, Google states compost contains 0.5% but what if it's been recycled or leeched.

I use GH flora nova & it contains 2% so I'm only adding a tiny amount each time. Humic acid range from 1-3% so again small amounts added to the system. Is this something to keep an eye on? Please explain why . Tia 👊 (small page below explaining link between sulphur and yield)

From what I’ve seen sulfur deficiencies are usually a problem for organic growers. Most nut lines have enough that if you see deficiencies it’s generally due to lockout rather than a lack of sulfides in the grow medium.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Epsom salts also a good option when needed.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I find it hard to believe that plants will need more of a micro nutrient like sulfur then a macro nutrient like nitrogen! Sulfur deficiencies are pretty uncommon.

simonkay

simonkay

Sulphur is 5th most abundant in the plant so I wanna hit max with the other nutes for better balance, I guess I'm looking deep into it as I'm dialing in my NPK & C, Mg just don't want to miss anything by shorting the plant i know with store brought soil (mother earth performance soil for me) sometimes the sterilisation can do more harm than good. Let's say the soil is fine first round would it make sense to adjust with more sulfur 2nd round.

I'm using dolomite lime in my soil for Cal mag so don't believe it contains sulfur maybe I should switch to gypsum and epsom

simonkay

simonkay

These are the min/max set by Harley Smith in the 'perfect gardens talk on Brix', in the brackets are his preferred limits and the other range is the allowable limits
Sulfur is ,500 not 400 as previously stated

If you don't use gypsum & epsom should you keep an eye on sulfur

Last edited:
Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I have been reusing soil for the last three years. I’m up to 300 gallons now. I use a simple recipe from 13 years ago that I could ran across on this site. Things have gotten a lot more complicated since then. But I have had good results With just a few simple amendments and then mostly water and recharge all summer. I grow in 30 or 40 gallon pots. Small pots these days. I prefer not to over complicate things. One change I will make is to send the finished soil out and have it analyze in the spring so I know what I am dealing with. When I add shit to my soil, it is by the pound. Several pounds. And bags of manure. And then let it cook for six months. I’d like to do the work in the winter and stick to my lazy ass. Watering in the summer! I don’t get too caught up in numbers! I get caught up in results. And I don’t think pot. Plants are as finicky as people make them out to be! Making the soil as much fun as growing the weed! L O L. Disclaimer! Outdoor grower only! Might be a whole different world indoors!

Last edited:
LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I have been reusing soil for the last three years.
I reuse soil, too, with amendments, of course. I've never seen sulfur deficiency that I could identify. I amend the soil with gypsum (calcium sulfate) and Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate). Those probably provide enough sulfur. I had not thought of having my soil analyzed, but it's a great idea. I also add other amendments, like azomite and earthworm castings. I just tried adding about 10% coco coir to a plant I have growing now, and it seems to be helpful for porosity.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Fucking A, right! Playing with the soil is fun and interesting! You just have to start doing it early! It is never disappointed me yet! And starting with fresh ocean forest, every year is not financially feasible! With the amount I need! Mix it up! Stick a plant in it! And off, we go into the wild blue yonder! Lol!

simonkay

simonkay

Yeh from what I can see ppl who use gypsum and epsom are set. I'm using dolomitic lime so don't have that extra sulphur in my system. Just something on the back of my mind, maybe my plants would get little boost if I added a little

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Yeh from what I can see ppl who use gypsum and epsom are set. I'm using dolomitic lime so don't have that extra sulphur in my system. Just something on the back of my mind, maybe my plants would get little boost if I added a little
Probably wouldn’t hurt! Epsom would probably give you the quickest result. If you think you need it fast. Is this for growing indoors or outdoors?

Latest posts

Top Bottom