Does anyone know how many watts i can run in an apartment???

• Thread starter daveceo333
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

daveceo333

Hey iam getting ready to set up for a grow here in a few days in my apartment. Iam worried about running to much power and shorting a circut in my building. Iam planing on running:
1 -thousand watt light.
1- 8" inline fan.
1 -5000 btu air conditioner

The grow will be in the closet in my bedroom 4x14

I looked every where and cant even find the breaker box for the fuses to the apartment. inside and outside i looked for the fuse box and didnt see it anywhere.

Can this be done? Are there any electrical modifications that I would have to do?

A friend of mine says that he thinks my room in running on a 1000 watt breaker. So i would blow a fuse or something if I run the lights, a/c, fan, my computer and tv

Help??

E

ent

It is likely you will pop the breaker with all of that. You'll need to run it on at least two circuits. All of that in one circuit would be a fire hazard. You need to find your breaker box.

I posted this previously.

Here's what you do if you're not sure. Draw a map of your house. Like a floor diagram. Indicate all your electrical outlets and electrical items on switches. Then go locate your panel box with the circuit breakers on the side of your house (usually). It will be near where your electricity enters your house. Open it and you'll see a bunch of switches on the circuit breakers. Most if not all of them will be ON. Number each switch. Turn off number 1. Go into your house. Locate all the electrical switches and outlets that no longer get power and number them 1 on your floor diagram. Continue to do this with each switch until your floor diagram is completed with labels.

Next on each circuit breaker there will be a number. Most likely 15. This indicates 15 amps of electricity. The wires used can only handle 15 amps as well. The breaker ensures that no more than 15 amps go through the wires as anything higher would create heat and be a very immediate fire hazard.

Once you have it all diagramed it is easy to find out how many watts is too many. You are likely 120 volt. Volts * Amps = Watts. Or. Watts / Volts = Amps. For example your 2x 600 watts would be 1200 watts. Divide 1200 by 120 volts and you are pulling 10 amps.

Also rule of thumb is to run at 80% of the max watts. So on a 15 amp circuit the max you should run is 12 amps or 1440 watts. (15*120*0.8)

It's important to diagram the circuit breakers so you ensure that the circuit you use for your grow room remains clear from other electrical devices. Also keeping this diagram will let you know the easiest way to run an electrical cord from another outlet in your house that is on a different circuit breaker in case you need additional power. Although it is much better to get an electrician in and run a couple dedicated circuits for your grow room with new wiring. You don't know what lived in your walls and chewed on wires from previous tenets.

Be Safe.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I agree with ent - you need to be on 2 circuits - man if you dont have access to your breaker box that sux ass

do you have a storage/hot water heater closet on your patio? it may be in there

breakers are measured in amps - not watts

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

It all depends on how many amps you have available. I would ask your landlord where your breaker box is.

I'm in an apartment and I have 90 amps available....at 220. Which is about equivalent to 180 amps at 110.

Lots to factor in brother. Here's a link to my last run.BBK 2k apt run

look at page 13. Thats when I tell everyone I was in an apartment.

O

OldSchool

I know this not the quik answer ur looking for, but ur talking about splicing into exsiting line and is there others that live around you ? It would really be worth it for u to get professional or a friend in that are of work. (1000 watt breaker gave it away) to help u out. If it's wired wrong, I would want my daughters to be living above u. Pays to do it right, plus I wouldnt want to read that u went up in smoke,since now I responed to u. search for site's about percent of home fire's are mostly altered wiring.
Peace. BE SAFE
OH, congrats on ur new equipt, I would be excited too, I hope it works well for u & good to hear u got 1000watt

P

paulycali

Get rid of the AC! No need for it. Inline hood with the right exhaust fan and a little booster fan for intake should be fine. When a grow of your size is set up properly there is absolutely no need for AC. Good luck and hope you can start growing soon

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
i ran 3k watts 7 amp 8kbtu a/c and and fans 8 inch exshaust 4 rotating fans, ez cloner. i just had to run extention cords from each room. to the grow room. only put 1 1k on each circut. 800 sqf apartment.

F

f1ydave

breakers run on amps, not watts. amps are the amount of draw you can have. standard rooms are 15 amps. the a/c probably pulls 8-10 amps on its own (you can check on the box or a/c). but you shouldn't need a/c in a closet. regular air exchange should be fine.

what CFM is the inline fan? you dont need over kill on that light. make sure you are pulling the air thru the hood and not pushing.

the light and fan should be fine for the closet room. if you use the a/c you will probably need to run an extension cord from another room or bathroom.

bathrooms and bedrooms are on separate circuits.

i have never seen an apartment in my life that didnt have a breaker box. its required by code. you just need to find it. you are not in an old house converted to an apt are you?

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

yep extension cords OR if you have a washer dryer in the unit you can get a break out box that plugs into your dryer outlet. all dryers have a good 20-30 amps of 220 i'm using one right now and my place is setup for 50 amps to the dryer so i could run 9k off my dryer outlet with buffer room for voltage drops :).

FYI if you run cords to kitchen or bathrooms remember hair dryers, microwaves and toasters will be on those circuits and those things eat lots of power. you may not use them all the time but when you do you may pop your circuit if you got grow gear running to that circuit as well.

Top Bottom