Does anyone know what the problem is?

• Thread starter Dumb Okie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dumb Okie

Dumb Okie

All my new growth is growing in all weird. See photo. And the older growth the leaves are folding like a dollar bill. Its folding on the new growth too but it's all skinny near the base of each finger mainly on the new growth

Does anyone know what the problem is
Dumb Okie

Dumb Okie

It's in hydroton the ph is 5.8. Its 70% humidity at 75 degrees. I'm feeding it megacrop. 1.2 ec. It's been fine untill here recently all my plants have started doing it

20201225 234644
BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Have you scoped for mites? Humidity also seems a bit high. Wish I could help more but I grow in coco.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Russet mites to be exact. You’ll need a 40x magnifier or more. Good luck

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
Twisted new growth like that is usuallly some kind of calcium issue absent other signs of damage. Cal is a tricky one, doesn't like too low ph, also dislikes high humidity because it makes it more difficult to move enough water through the plant for what it needs. If they were mine I would raise my ph to 6.0 and lower humidity to 60% or less while raising temp to 80°

Cal has to brought all the way up the plant from the roots with water every time seeing how its an immobile nutrient. If VPD is in that upper zone the plant is just not moving enough water to get sufficient calcium to the top of the plant. Just my 2 cents, good luck!! ❤🌱👍

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
You've seen this before? How sure are you they are mites and where do I look for them
Yes. I have had an infestation. If it isn’t a pH issues which affects the new growth, then it may be mites. They are so small you can’t see them with your naked eye. I’m not saying that’s your issue because I can’t see your plants, I’m saying that’s what I suspect. Never hurts to look.

Reactions: PK1
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Pictures of the roots please. And yes drop that humidity to 50-60%

Dumb Okie

Dumb Okie

Twisted new growth like that is usuallly some kind of calcium issue absent other signs of damage. Cal is a tricky one, doesn't like too low ph, also dislikes high humidity because it makes it more difficult to move enough water through the plant for what it needs. If they were mine I would raise my ph to 6.0 and lower humidity to 60% or less while raising temp to 80°

Cal has to brought all the way up the plant from the roots with water every time seeing how its an immobile nutrient. If VPD is in that upper zone the plant is just not moving enough water to get sufficient calcium to the top of the plant. Just my 2 cents, good luck!! ❤🌱👍
I think this is most likely the case thank you for your input. So.just adding cal- mag wont do it huh? I originally thought it to be a calcium issue with the research I had done myself.so I bought some cak-mag and it just seemed to make it worse so.i stopped that immediately.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I think this is most likely the case thank you for your input. So.just adding cal- mag wont do it huh? I originally thought it to be a calcium issue with the research I had done myself.so I bought some cak-mag and it just seemed to make it worse so.i stopped that immediately.
Calcium uptake to new growth is entireley dependant on transpiration, since its immobile. It cant take calcium from older leaves and move it to new growth if its deficient. If transpiration is slowed due to high humidity, so is Ca uptake eventually leading to a deficiency in the new growth.
And no you cant really just increase the Calcium because the nutrients need to be balanced in certain proportions, too much Ca in the nutrient solution will start to lock out other things, and bind to phosphorus precipitating both.

Best bet is to lower RH closer to 50-60%.

But Id also scope for mites just to be safe, as the early signs of russet damage is similar to Ca-.

Last edited:
Dumb Okie

Dumb Okie

I took some more pics. 3 of the old growth and 3 of the new growth. Maybe this will help. The twisted ones are new growth.

20201226 190356
20201226 190101
20201226 190002
20201226 185602
20201226 185549
20201226 184958
PK1

PK1

Supporter
Picture of roots would be good. I think @Grownsince95 and @Aquaman called it.
if you look very closely on the back of the leaves you can find little white dots. If you watch long enough you'll see them move.
Neem oil would be a good way of cleaning it. It's natural and the plants will kick back quickly. Just make sure not to do it under the light.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
you might also have some eggs in the soil, again neem oil can be mixed with water and fed to the plant. It will kill all the eggs that has been put down.

Dumb Okie

Dumb Okie

Pictures of roots. Like at the base where it goes into the hydroton?

Dumb Okie

Dumb Okie

Picture of roots would be good. I think @Grownsince95 and @Aquaman called it.
if you look very closely on the back of the leaves you can find little white dots. If you watch long enough you'll see them move.
Neem oil would be a good way of cleaning it. It's natural and the plants will kick back quickly. Just make sure not to do it under the light.
I'm pretty sure it's not a mite issue

Dumb Okie

Dumb Okie

I'm pretty sure it's not a mite issue
I've had mites before on a different grow. They were spotted spider mites tho. I could see them. Like you say little dots moving around. But I dont see anything like that here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom