Does anyone make their own compost?

• Thread starter GoldiNugs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
I dunno every time i open the lid theres a bunch flying around, If they get antsy and decide to go exploring and find your stanky danky marijuana plants far more appealing and or its root system BAM complete infestation..

Wanna risk it Just for some C02?? Theres far better ways to obtain cheap/free c02 like.. Yeast and water :D

Plasma

Plasma

I know what you're talking about, I get tons of them in my worm farms, all sorts, mites and roaches and beetles. Thinking about it, I bet there are even gnats in there.

I wouldn't be willing to risk it personally. I think caveman was asking about doing it as a heat source, not CO2 anyway.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Don't forget sugar. Yeast won't make anything without food!

Ha i would have forgot the damn sugar too!!!

I know what you're talking about, I get tons of them in my worm farms, all sorts, mites and roaches and beetles. Thinking about it, I bet there are even gnats in there.

I wouldn't be willing to risk it personally. I think caveman was asking about doing it as a heat source, not CO2 anyway.

YES Gnats!! thats what there called thank you lol i was racking muh damn brain tryin to remember what those flying bastards were called.

Regardless of the reason the principle remains the same.. bad idea :D

GoldiNugs

GoldiNugs

90-120 degrees is the sweet spot temp wise. I've got a couple tumbler bins, as well as 3 worm bins.

Composting right requires fairly regular maintenance in order to keep the microbes alive and active. The pile (or bin) must be kept moist, but not too wet. The heat generated by a good pile naturally dries the pile out with time. Therefore the pile must be kept moist by either adding water or moist green inputs. Allowing a pile to dry too much can be devastating to your microbe population. A pile can dry out fast in hot weather.

The balance of green inputs and brown (carbon) inputs are also important. I believe the ideal ratio is 75% brown to 25% green. Brown includes dried leaves (preferably crushed or shredded) cardboard (cut in small pieces, the smaller the better), brown bags (shredded or cut in small pieces), wood chips or shaving and other dried organic material.

Green is vegetable waste, fresh cut grass (ideal for starting a pile and adding heat) egg shells, coffee grinds, fruit waste (banana peels cut up are great) and harvested plants and leaves cut up small of course.

I like to add a scoop of azomite to my pile ( as well as my worm bins) every other feeding or so. I service my tumblers every 2 or 3 days. I use a high output hand sprayer to moisten top with water. Then tumble and moisten top well again and close. Productive composting is not easy, it's work just like anything else. But just like everything good in life requires work, compost is no different.

So temp is controlled by regular maintenance. Thanks. This is all good info!!

Reactions: XTC
LordVane

LordVane

Dank drop! Thanks fir sharing! What are the chances you have an article on composting to warm up greenhouse and I suppose generate co2? @SpiderK posted one before Fir aquaponic greenhouse but icant find it......platinum for greenhouse growing in winter might get too hot and humid for midsummer ....idk , sounds good though....
@GoldiNugs great thread!

I've got something for you, I've attached it with this post. Doesn't have a huge wealth of info in it, but it's good food for thought.

View attachment compostheatedgh.pdf
OGONLY

OGONLY

So temp is controlled by regular maintenance. Thanks. This is all good info!!

Well, regular maintenance is a big part of keeping the temp in the optimal zone.

A well kept pile or compost bin consists of a proper balance of green and brown inputs, kept moist enough and turned frequently enough to supply oxygen to the microbes. Turning too frequently won't allow the heat to do its job and break down material.

The heat is generated by the microbes thriving. No heat or low heat means the microbe population hasn't yet multiplied to a high enough level. I bought a compost thermometer on Amazon for like $15. I have only been able to get my tumblers up to like 107 degrees. Most of the time they are around 95. I'd like to see it a bit higher, but it's a challenge to keep everything balanced and perfect. Even so I'm making some killer looking compost after a couple months of cooking in a bin.

Composting is much faster and easier in the summer as the warmer temps greatly aid the multiplying of microbes. Cold overnight temps even here in SoCal make producing good compost take more than twice as long during winter months.

rollon

rollon

some city municipalities offer free compost. Grass clippings and leaves I would imagine. I drive by a field where they put it out a couple times each summer. Nice stuff.

Ambre

Ambre

some city municipalities offer free compost. Grass clippings and leaves I would imagine. I drive by a field where they put it out a couple times each summer. Nice stuff.
Be careful about that - you have no idea what chemicals the grass clippings & stuff have on them. There are some herbicides that persist through composting and they will kill anything you try to grow using compost made from them. There is even an herbicide used on pasture grasses that will persist through the cattle's digestive system into their manure and persist through composting. I have to be careful to ask the people I buy my hay from what herbicide they use (if any) to be sure not to bring that stuff on our property.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Other than turnaround time, what are the advantages of hot vs cold composting? Do you end up with the same product either way, or do they both have their own microbial makeup?
I read an article that, IIRC, discussed that because the microbial population is different, you achieve a... I want to say a richer compost, but don't hold me to that, I'm still pretty worn out. I'm posting more to remind myself when I'm awake.

Top Bottom