Does anyone use clay pots anymore?

• Thread starter WickedMichelle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
WickedMichelle

WickedMichelle

I do not see a lot of clay pots on here... are they not used anymore? We had always used clay pots for everything when I was growing up. I was always told they were the best for drainage. I remember using about an in or so of gravel under the soil. Is this method still acceptable?

My tent came with canvas bags, I can see those being good drainage, it's fabric. Should I just use those or go for the gold? Any suggestions on good potting? No pun intended 🤣

Oh.... also... from seed to pot...

Do I just put the seed in a small pot of soil and sprout or get a little greenhouse thing like this https://www.temu.com/ul/kuiper/un9....b8CeE4lDnNHrzWncEkJAmTEdsa_O6ZBwaAnymEALw_wcB ?

What are the suggested pot sizes and transplant sizes?

Thanks in advance 👍

D

DougV

I love clay pots, but not for this. Clay drains well, especially when a layer of material, river rock or, my favorite, clay shards from other broken clay pots. But they are heavy, especially when damp. They can be difficult to get plants out of, so aren’t the best option to use for transplanting. They are a little rough on the bottom, so you need a plastic saucer and elevator underneath them, but these you need for all pots in a tent. They are best suited for perennial plants. I love ‘em, but not for this application.

To finish your grow, cloth or good quality nursery pots. If you are an experienced gardener, it makes no difference which. If inexperience, cloth pots help prevent the #1 killer of plants, overwatering. I have used both, even at the same time, both work well. Fabric pots seem to be much better at marketing, but there is a reason nurseries the world over use them. They work, are cheap, and are easily sterilized for reuse. But you need good quality nursery pots with good drainage.

Skip your greenhouse thing. It looks too difficult to get the seedling out for transplanting. Hard for me to tell though. I use 4 cell trays as I find it easier to get plants out of or 6 cell at the smallest. If you know anyone old with a nice garden they’ll likely give you one.

Are you growing autoflower or photoperiod plants, sold as regular (M and F seeds or feminized). It makes a difference in how you start them. For final pot size for tent and for max potential, 5-7 gallon. For photoperiod I like 7 gallon. Reduces watering frequency and allows for better root development. For autoflower, 5 gallon is probably adequate, inside or outside. Sea of green SOG, might be different, I don’t know.

I’m a bit unorthodox on seed starting/transplant. I use paper towels to clean up spills and solo cups at picnics, I had to use a solo cup as a kid in school to start seeds, only once, and I’ve never used a paper towel to germinate. I’m a gardener. I have been for decades longer than I’ve grown marijuana. I’ve got a 94-95% success rate germinating seeds of all types. I don’t know your experience level. So on this part, with respect, I’ll bow out and let someone else jump in. BTW there are great growers who use paper towels and solo cups, I’m just not qualified to explain it.

Best of luck, good growing.

K

KeyFingerFlying

Well I do have some clay pots but I usually just use them for flowers or as a temporary for tomatoes, I plant my ganja in fiber pots

WickedMichelle

WickedMichelle

I love clay pots, but not for this. Clay drains well, especially when a layer of material, river rock or, my favorite, clay shards from other broken clay pots. But they are heavy, especially when damp. They can be difficult to get plants out of, so aren’t the best option to use for transplanting. They are a little rough on the bottom, so you need a plastic saucer and elevator underneath them, but these you need for all pots in a tent. They are best suited for perennial plants. I love ‘em, but not for this application.

To finish your grow, cloth or good quality nursery pots. If you are an experienced gardener, it makes no difference which. If inexperience, cloth pots help prevent the #1 killer of plants, overwatering. I have used both, even at the same time, both work well. Fabric pots seem to be much better at marketing, but there is a reason nurseries the world over use them. They work, are cheap, and are easily sterilized for reuse. But you need good quality nursery pots with good drainage.

Skip your greenhouse thing. It looks too difficult to get the seedling out for transplanting. Hard for me to tell though. I use 4 cell trays as I find it easier to get plants out of or 6 cell at the smallest. If you know anyone old with a nice garden they’ll likely give you one.

Are you growing autoflower or photoperiod plants, sold as regular (M and F seeds or feminized). It makes a difference in how you start them. For final pot size for tent and for max potential, 5-7 gallon. For photoperiod I like 7 gallon. Reduces watering frequency and allows for better root development. For autoflower, 5 gallon is probably adequate, inside or outside. Sea of green SOG, might be different, I don’t know.

I’m a bit unorthodox on seed starting/transplant. I use paper towels to clean up spills and solo cups at picnics, I had to use a solo cup as a kid in school to start seeds, only once, and I’ve never used a paper towel to germinate. I’m a gardener. I have been for decades longer than I’ve grown marijuana. I’ve got a 94-95% success rate germinating seeds of all types. I don’t know your experience level. So on this part, with respect, I’ll bow out and let someone else jump in. BTW there are great growers who use paper towels and solo cups, I’m just not qualified to explain it.

Best of luck, good growing.
Thanks Key, Doug......

Seeds in the paper towel.... I have done that many times. Heavy water in between two paper towels.... I read that the roots can hold the filers from the paper towels. I never thought of that back in the day.

I will see what is available when I go get the soil. 👍

Top Bottom