Does seed size mean anything?

• Thread starter caregiverken
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Im noticing some of my seeds are big..and with other strains they are small.

so Im guessing it's strain thing?

Should I pick out the biggest seeds of each cross to grow 1st??
thats what im doing ...lol

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

Yea some strain seeds r juss small.. If there way 2 small I'm thinking there no good.. I have a nice seed collection & some strains juss make smaller seeds..

Blaze

Blaze

Size does not really matter. Some strains simply produce large seeds, some produce small seeds. Generally IME the more afghani dominant plants tend to produce larger seeds, while the more sativa dominant plants tend to produce smaller seeds. As makinggoo pointed out though if you have some that are considerably smaller than the other seeds of that same strain they may not be fully developed.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Thanks Guys

Right on..Makes sense.
Im saving the smaller ones though..:mmm

thats what I am noticing too Blaze thanks. Indica has bigger ones

I was just noticing how small the Harlequin crossed seed are.
Putting some in a P-towel today

the Bubba kush crosses were alot bigger

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

My Alien Dog V2-F2 made small seeds I was kinda worried but when I tested them small beans they all popped super fast.. I was even wondering if my tan seeds were any good cuz some had no tiger stripes but even the tan 1's popped

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Hmm.. I was tossing the tan ones...Douhh:sad0047:

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

Try 2 pop a few u might have good luck like I did.. It wont hurt 2 try a few

Blaze

Blaze

^^ Yep. Though darker color is an indicator of seed maturity, it is not a tell-tale sign. Sometimes the tan or light colored seeds pop just fine. Also just like seed size, seed color varies a lot from strain to strain. Some strains will produce very light colored seeds, even at maturity. I've had some seeds that at maturity were almost jet-black, some that were light tan, some that were even grey, and almost every shade of brown/black/tan/grey in-between. Their appearance varies quite a bit, just as the plants they go on to produce does.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
^^^^^^^^^Good Info!

Thanks Again Blaze!

BrianDirt

BrianDirt

Yeah I like the bigger seeds if I have all the same type. But then I like to pick the ones with the cooler tigers.

T

TreFarmer

G-13, one large tan seed, two small tan seeds, planted 2. Two distinctly different phenos from S¹. The last seed "should be" the small bushy pheno.
I remember when most seeds were "stripeless". When I found striped ones I was sooo excited cause the offspring was usually "really ssticky" in comparison.
Are the stripes sign of hybridization maybe??

johnursery

johnursery

seed size is a good way to tell the size of the calyxes it came from, thats why sativa's with there small but very special calyxes produce small seeds and the well known indicas have big bulging calyxes wich produce those big seeds...if your making hybrids id suggest trying to find the plants that will give you the big calyxes (seeds) this does not make it sat or indy dom on its own...its just a selection one of many, you can also find indy dom plants that have been selected for skinny leaves like female seeds NL, and vice versa, you can find sat dom plants that have indy specific geneomes...so in short seeds dont mean much except an idea of what size calyx it came from, as for the tiger stripes its strain dependant but at the same time if your plants will make the tigerstriped seeds they will need to be fully mature seeds to do so, like busting out of the calyx mature, not 3 weeks should be enough time for most plants and then you get some pale, light, or even underdeveloped beans with some mature seeds that couldve gone a little longer...IME they are not special though tiger striped or solid color, it means more that there fully mature

T

TreFarmer

Sounded good... Duhhh!!
Ya kinda dumb as I have 11generation IBL Mazar, 1 I call Tiger cause of it's orangeish seeds with brown stripes.
....Though she still has a cross in her back before leaving Amsterdam... Skunk #1 if I remember right.
@John..
I peeled a seed partially last run and removed the calyx husk, she developed only stripes where still encased with husk, it was 1/2 striped and just ended...
Kinda neat...

SCARHOLE

SCARHOLE

I got some straight over the boarder mexi uncompressed DANK!! that had seeds the size of Peas!
They were hard to germ (cause of the hard shells?)
Need to try em again to see what's up with em.
They made the Biggest most vigorous plants that year
But were eaten outdoors.
Rip.

Jermamma420

Jermamma420

You know what they say the bigger the seed.... the bigger the cotyledons.
From 9 years in the future, but that was genius, and perfectly right on. A little boost from the cotyledons might help more than we realize. I've broken one off, and set the seedling back behind all the others, for life, if they even survive at all.

Top Bottom