Does SILICA really cut up Spider Mites stomachs?

• Thread starter Mississip Hip
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

McPappaGreens

On the subject of spider mites an all to who this concerns in any relevance to the conversation I grew up around allot of smart people as a young person I observed just about everything in great detail so to the point growing up my grandmother believed in preventative maintenance in her garden and on her lushes roses and such even cactus weeping indoor vines african violets she grew everything literally not trying to spark up a convo on that bit anyways it came to stand that with such a wide variety of indoor and outdoor plants without proper maintenance you would have pests of various sorts to mealy worms to ground flies her SIMPLE ALL NATURAL 100% solution was to take a one litre squirt bottle turn the nozzle to a mist fill it all the way with Luke warm water and add 2 table spoons of extra virgin olive oil and shake the piss out of it for several minutes like making butter in a jar she would say about 30 minutes of shaking and I would always ask will won't all the oil just rise back to the to she would reply yes but it's not the oil I wanna spray on my plants it's the smell and the small particle dilutants I want from shaking this bottle up to spray on my plants I didn't realize until I was a little older her method actually worked and I understood what she was doing to keep pests away from her garden I use it on soft greens like lettuce broccoli asparagus stuff like that it does create a slight film on the surface but not anything like a grocery store that's for sure and with a good rinse comes right off can spray on soil before planting on plants just don't use the bottom of the bottle and spray the oil itself discard the remaining oil safely or fill the water bottle back up and repeat for next use just add a little extra evvo because it will be diluted just use your best knowledge when applying don't over do and try on a small area or small piece of plant to always make sure my method might not work the way I do it but like I said I've had success with it on vegetable not smoke but preventative maintenance was really the importance no matter what your choice of miticide herbicide pesticide preventacide liticide may be always use caution natural or not think about how it may be consumed and how that could hurt or harm others unintentionally

A

Akeeka

I have battled with spider mites the "tiny devils" for years both indoor and outdoor. I must say I have discovered sulfur dust when mixed with water and sprayed directly on the affected areas it actually wipes them out!

Plus it is great for the plant!

Resized Screenshot 20230722 071023 Chrome
20230722 071232
20230722 071254
A

Akeeka

Oh and also there is no chemical to be flushed as it does not effect the taste of the fruit , vegetable or foliage.
Therefore you can use it at any time and right up to harvest which is great🙂

G

grapeape1972

Hey everyone I have a question, I went from a 650w led to a 1000w led 18in from canopy will the light cause the wilt look and yellowing leaves in the pic below??

A

Akeeka

That looks like mites or fertilizer burn to me. Possibly also over watering and your rooms too hot🙂 if it was directly due to the lights you would see more damage directly at the tops of the plants. The bud hairs aren't at all burnt. Also having that said if your room is too hot and lacking in ventilation that can also cause the plants to burn indirectly just due to the overall temp of the room. Plus if it's too hot you're constantly putting the plants through stress by having them dry right out then watered and repeat the cycle which makes them more susceptible and prone to be infected by pests, mold etc and the list goes on and on lol

A

Akeeka

That looks like mites or fertilizer burn to me. Possibly also over watering and your rooms too hot🙂 if it was directly due to the lights you would see more damage directly at the tops of the plants. The bud hairs aren't at all burnt. Also having that said if your room is too hot and lacking in ventilation that can also cause the plants to burn indirectly just due to the overall temp of the room. Plus if it's too hot you're constantly putting the plants through stress by having them dry right out then watered and repeat the cycle which makes them more susceptible and prone to be infected by pests, mold etc and the list goes on and on lol
I would also give them a good trim to get rid of all the yellow and dying leaves. There will just cause more stress to the plant. Plus it might be a bit crowded aswell. I would give them a bit more space. Hope this may help a bit. And if it is mites which I could say for certain if you don't have them yet you most likely will since the plants are week right now!
Go to Canadian Tire and grab this sulfur dust. It works on spider mites and mold.

A

Akeeka

I honestly was amazed at how well it works to controll the mites and at the same time feed the plants 🪴 🙂

20230722 071232
20230722 072930
Screenshot 20230722 070950 Chrome
Top Bottom