Does soil play a part in taste and aroma?

• Thread starter herby
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

herby

Just a couple thoughts. I know that many have tried to grow some of the french bordeaux's in other soils and climate with no luck. Well, they may be ok but certainly not the same quality as in the Bodeaux region of france. Cuba also produces the best cigars on the planet and tobacco from the Pinar Del Rio region is the best, especially from Robainas farm. (I have been there and spent some time with him) Honduras and Dominican Republic have tried to grow cuban seed tobacco but never get the same results.

So, this leads me to the thinking that soil conditions may play a larger role than we give it credit for in the Mj business. Any thoughts or studies done on this? How much flavor or aroma do you think comes from the soil and climate of the region where it originated?

With Cuban cigars they have a twang to them that no other country can seem to produce even a country as close as dominican Republic cant reproduce that Cuban twang. Fuente is probably the best grown Dominican and even his cigars are one dimensional for the most part.

N

Nuglover

I don't know of any studies, but I'd bet my paycheck there's something to it. Soil, altitude, and general climate all are factors.

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Coffee is the same way Herby, look at the Blue Mountain coffee from Jamaica for example. They've tried growing it other places quite unsuccessfully. The key to that equation is how the altitude controls the climate to perfection. Even on the same mountain, coffee beans grown above or below a specific range of altitudes can not be called Blue Mountain coffee.

H

herby

Ya know I didnt even think about the coffee but your right for sure!! I was looking at farms in hawaii at one point because I wanted to go grow coffee(Among other things) out there and sure enough you needed to get land above a certain altitude in order for the coffee to be just right. I guess thats why we pay the big bucks for the good stuff.

H

herby

oh and the reason I ask is because of those Panama Red seeds I won at Auction from reef. As much as I want it to be what I used to get in the late 70's early 80's I am sure that unless i take them to the mountains of Panama I will not get the same thing. (I'm sure it will still be good though :))

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
I think some research into the climate of the right areas could help you recreate similar conditions and a convincing result. If this is your first time with an equatorial sativa I'd read up on some of the management techniques.

I've had my best luck with sats when they were on the edge of the light foot print. Seems like the lower angle of light makes a difference, because the same plants directly under the light do not fare nearly as well.

Top Bottom