Does Tap Water Harm Microbes?

• Thread starter Growin Grass
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DismalDude

DismalDude

I've always wondered about this.I guess the first step in real world results would be to test whatever tap water you are using first and if results are similar to the ones in this video I guess it would seem to make no real significant difference.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Here's an interesting video I found testing soils that have been watered with and without dechlorinated tap water

How do you the rest of the farmers here feel about it?
Once the Cl has reacted with *any* organic matter, it's done, that's it. So yeah, it'll kill some microbes, but it won't kill them all.

I thought distilled water is the only truly pure form of water. It's interesting that they're only interested in bacteria.

Did you know that Cl-only Tx is considered carcinogenic, and the EPA wants water munis to move over to chloramine as it's been found to be much safer?

I like the way the little dog comes into the frame in that one part and kinda looks at him like, "Play? Uh, no play."

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Chlorine only treatment. Cl=chlorine, Tx=treatment. Dx=diagnosis.

H

hawkman

It's called "de-natured water" water let sit out for 24 hrs. to add to "Able's" information

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
How is the water denatured?

Most of the chlorine will be gone if u let the water sit for a day though, right?
Yes, but this only works for chlorine, not chloramine. The Cl - NH4 bond must be broken chemically in that instance, sodium thiosulfate is great and cheap for that purpose. ST does not even harm the most delicate tunicates, corals or sponges, so I'm confident that it won't harm microbes.

Top Bottom