Does the color of a leaf effect photosynthesis?

• Thread starter FreakMont
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FreakMont

So... a GREEN leaf will accept the red and blue color spectrum and reflect greens and yellows. WHITE will reflect all colors and absorb none. So does that mean darkly colored leaves [such as black ones (found on plants like blackberry)] will absorb more colors of the color spectrum therefor providing the plant with more possibility to photosynthesise... which in turn creates more food for the plant and a advantage in growth compared to green leaves.

another_sellout

another_sellout

A plants color is a reflection of it's nutrient uptake and its genetics. Blackberry and The Purps are just that way, and I don't think that a green plant or a purple plant would outgrow one another based solely on pigmentation. If you can prove it will, though, they'll give you a doctorate.

HeadGrow

HeadGrow

That's an awesome question. I think that since the red and blue spectrums are the most important to photosynthesis that it doesn't really make that much of a difference to if the plant is green or purple. Because both colors let pretty much the same amount of red and blue spectrum through. Maybe I'm wrong though.

F

FreakMont

But wouldnt the black leaves allow in more colors of the light spectrum? ....possibly providing more oportunity for photosythesis to take place in each leaf.

F

FreakMont

well if you think about it BLACK leaves will allow more colors of light spectrum to be absorbed including a wider range of reds and blues. Now would the leaves photosynthesise more being black compared to if the leaves were green? And if that is so, would the difference be significant enough make a those genetics desireable?

....... Who would be a good person to ask? Ed?

J

Jalisco Kid

But then the darker the leaf the more heat absorbed causing the stomata to close which starts shutting the plant down. JK

C

carper

yeah i think it does
its a way of reading your plant by there leafs

Top Bottom