Does the pot size make a difference in yield?

• Thread starter Splashtown1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Splashtown1

I’m am a newbie grower but, I’ve read a lot about how to get good yields. I would like to know does the pot size matter in terms or growth and yield? And when do you know you’ve reached you max for the pot you’re using. I’m going to transplant to a 3.5 gallon.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I’m am a newbie grower but, I’ve read a lot about how to get good yields. I would like to know does the pot size matter in terms or growth and yield? And when do you know you’ve reached you max for the pot you’re using. I’m going to transplant to a 3.5 gallon.
The larger the pot the more room you'll have for error and more room for roots.

Rikismom420

Rikismom420

Hey , I am new here, been reading Post so thought I would ask..where do you put your hum temp monitor in the grow tent, and what the heck did you use to get it stationary.
Thx

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Few insights,
Transplant once the container the seedling/clone has become root bound, you will know via gently tugging at stem and seeing if the plant pops out complete
3.5 gal is good, I’ve done it but the logic out in the industry is that the larger the root ball the larger the canopy this larger the yield.
However, in 3.5 gal in coco I’ve done 2lb yeilds. Drain to waste setup, essentially hydro.
But that’s more advanced
In soil, one can get 300-400grams shy of a pound, but it’s strain depending and grow conditions, indoor scrogged and vegged longer can get incredible yeilds or outdoor, full season can equally yield over a pound.

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

More dirt = more stomach. Thats all the dirt is. An inside out stomach of digesting nutritional content.

If you wanna grow a novelty plant not for consumption you can use a small pot and inject vitamins but you end up with Botanicare Breath instead of Kush Breath,not safe for consumption.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

More dirt = more stomach. Thats all the dirt is. An inside out stomach of digesting nutritional content.

If you wanna grow a novelty plant not for consumption you can use a small pot and inject vitamins but you end up with Botanicare Breath instead of Kush Breath,not safe for consumption.
I gotta say i love the sheer brass of your replies. May not entirely agree with them but they leave no room for interpretations

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
YES! I have grown for many years and use 5 or 6 gallon buckets for growing indoors. I see a big difference in plant size and yield, regardless of fertilizing, in buckets with more than 1 plant in them. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that roots tend to keep other roots from competing, so the root mass might be smaller. I'm really not sure of the reason, but I have repeatedly noticed smaller plants and lower yields when growing more than 1 plant per bucket, regardless of feeding. FWIW, I have noticed a difference between plant size and yield between identical plants grown in a 5 or a 6 gallon bucket...again, regardless of feeding. Strange, but true... at least with my experience.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

YES! I have grown for many years and use 5 or 6 gallon buckets for growing indoors. I see a big difference in plant size and yield, regardless of fertilizing, in buckets with more than 1 plant in them. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that roots tend to keep other roots from competing, so the root mass might be smaller. I'm really not sure of the reason, but I have repeatedly noticed smaller plants and lower yields when growing more than 1 plant per bucket, regardless of feeding. FWIW, I have noticed a difference between plant size and yield between identical plants grown in a 5 or a 6 gallon bucket...again, regardless of feeding. Strange, but true... at least with my experience.
More stable and consistent environment with less fluctuations and no restriction of the roots? makes sense to me but who knows.

Top Bottom