Does topping really slow growth?

• Thread starter ImpulsiveGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
First time grower here and I just topped most of my plants today(FIM my Indica strain)and from what I’ve read this causes a lot of stress to the plant. I’ve also seen a lot of ppl say in these forums that their growth doesn’t slow down at all and in fact the growth increases as a response to being topped. So I want to get some more feedback from ppl to see what you guys think. Does topping cause stress that slows growth and needs extra time to recover or does your plant increase growth as a response? I’m at day 27 from seed...I’m new so I’ve tried FIMing my short Indica and topped the hybrids and I also ponytailed one of my plants. I’m growing 6 strains and learning as much as I can and trying different things. I plan to scrog in my 2x8 closet.

Does topping really slow growth
Does topping really slow growth 2
Does topping really slow growth 3
Does topping really slow growth 4
One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Nope not really just stops apex growth makes lateral branches want to be Apex buds this drives it to punch out branches all trying to be the Apex dominant so topping gives you many Apex dominant buds not just the big bud on the top if you had not topped it looking great nice job keep it up . Od.
00003XTR 00016 BURST20210511053629

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
First time grower here and I just topped most of my plants today(FIM my Indica strain)and from what I’ve read this causes a lot of stress to the plant. I’ve also seen a lot of ppl say in these forums that their growth doesn’t slow down at all and in fact the growth increases as a response to being topped. So I want to get some more feedback from ppl to see what you guys think. Does topping cause stress that slows growth and needs extra time to recover or does your plant increase growth as a response? I’m at day 27 from seed...I’m new so I’ve tried FIMing my short Indica and topped the hybrids and I also ponytailed one of my plants. I’m growing 6 strains and learning as much as I can and trying different things. I plan to scrog in my 2x8 closet.
Also I would move your sticky traps to above the canopy the gnats fly high in there looking for a mate it will attract them up to the yellow colour .

KingHale

KingHale

Topping definitely slows the growth of outer (or lower) branches. If you top your plant, I would suggest doing so at a point that allows you to pull your outer branches to the outside and your inner branches to the inside. I set my branches with gardening string and force the upper branches to grow outward and the lower branches to grow inwards. This creates a mess of clones to deal with but it also lowers the entire plant down to the same height.

I can’t claim this to be the absolute best way to grow your plant, but the last seed that I planted created a yield of 655.6 grams off of one single seed. I’m already into my third week of flower on the grow that followed, and I’m not even half way through my previous product. These are good problems to have.

6E195257 538B 4659 A26E E30CBFE7CE49
F1BAAF7D E4EF 44FF 9107 98B998FD232E
Dub_City405

Dub_City405

Stressing the plant in any way slow growth. Topping it properly at the time you did will slow growth maybe two days or three at the most. If you got good healthy roots the plant will take that shock and jump right back quick.

I top every single grow. To have an even canopy. I top multiple node sites. Multiple times to grow it evenly. I hate having 2 grow twice the size. As the other 6. In a 4x4 that light is valuable.

hillbil

hillbil

A very few strains hate topping and they never regain vigor, but very few. I top almost everything and see no evidence of stress most alway. Does seem to add a week to veg development time.

growsince79

growsince79

A very few strains hate topping and they never regain vigor, but very few. I top almost everything and see no evidence of stress most alway. Does seem to add a week to veg development time.
Doesn't slow my plants one bit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom