Dog Trainer for aggressive dog in CO...

• Thread starter hemployed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
hemployed, what you describe about how your female went off has me a little bit worried about her overall health. I mean, reading it sounded insane, like she'd gone insane, ya know? I only know that old dogs can become demented, know nothing about mental/psychological issues with younger dogs, but I find myself wondering if she's ok. That, or the two of them still haven't worked out which is going to lead the other and perhaps you haven't sufficiently settled that question for them.

I have 4 dogs (a pack) all are mixed with pitbull They rarely fight with eachother. and when they do, it only last a few seconds. They have already established who is the boss between them...(one of the females)
and They Know I am the alpha male.

IMO Seamaiden may be on to something...I was thinking the same thing as I was reading this thread. Maybe a visit to the vet may be in order.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I am not only the Alpha Bitch (emphasis on Bitch), but I am the juggernaut!

T

TreFarmer

This Ridgeback mix is the most difficult dog I've ever worked with, more difficult than the Rotties. She is an easily excitable, dominant girl. I spent a long time watching Cesar, and used those behavioral techniques in combination with my previous horse training experience. I've lost one friendship because the gal (a whole series of bad dog stories lie with this gal) had a problem with how hard I am on *my* dog. But, my dog doesn't attack my partner, other random people, or ME.

Yesterday, while my husband ran Mt. Tallac out at Lake Tahoe, the dog and I spent the day at the only local beach where dogs are allowed (they're supposed to be on-leash, only those who couldn't really control their dogs kept them on-leash). That dog made me SO PROUD with her behavior. Most of the dogs were fairly under control, didn't have terrible aggression problems, but all were pretty rude to human beings while playing, running into people, running over their stuff, basically ignoring their personal space.

I discovered that what I do with my dog works with other dogs. I do my "mother" thing, give a look, shake my finger and say, "Don't!" or "AH AH!" I stopped a huge GSD in its tracks, damn thing was headed straight for Hazel who was under my legs and my blanket, while its owner was trying to call it back. I shot it a look and said, "AH AH!" and damn if the dog didn't stop dead in its tracks. I told it, "You don't walk on my blanket!" and the dog looked around, then walked around my blanket! Hazel just looked at me and blinked.

Anyway, I have to work very hard with Hazel every day, and while I don't hit, I do bite, and she knows it. If another dog tries to fight her I can easily call her off now. I've worked with her to the point that anyone, anyone at all, can walk up to her while she's eating and take the food right out of her mouth. Even a very small child.

People all around were watching other dogs running around ignoring their owners, while Hazel did exactly what I asked of her. Only thing was she's afraid of the waves on the lake. WTF? She pulled a huge log out of the water, though, totally owned it.

But, hemployed, what you describe about how your female went off has me a little bit worried about her overall health. I mean, reading it sounded insane, like she'd gone insane, ya know? I only know that old dogs can become demented, know nothing about mental/psychological issues with younger dogs, but I find myself wondering if she's ok. That, or the two of them still haven't worked out which is going to lead the other and perhaps you haven't sufficiently settled that question for them.
Damn nice work Maiden, ill say RRB are extremely independant hardheaded working dogs that make great companions with the right owner!! APPLAUSE, Rep +20:)
This shows diligence, and extremely consistent training!! A dominant dog from a stubborn breed = a nightmare in a lot of cases.
I usually never diagnose, or recommend issues such as health or mental state without working with a dog, I had agentleman say, "Yup, that's wht I thought, and showed up a couple weeks later with a new dog, he didn't even give the dog a chance, he just put it down. However, Maiden is completely right I thought the same thing, it could be something deeper.
This is why I recommended Ed Frawley as a resource, he has a huge network of the best Schutzhund trainers in the world, they run onto every aggression type, daily. They usually can help find a local trainer or even give better recommendations.
A vet is a good resource, if they know the dog well enough. My Vet. Has seen problems I have missed, cause I see them every day. Usually the inverse is true. Thanks for pointing this out Maiden, I hated to hear the diagnosis of menangitis from a collegue, I thought what do you know, you're a trainer! He was right, but knowledge is power and i can now properly care for and recognize the onset.
I no longer fear the diagnosis of health issues as much as the anticipation or the uncertainty you go through in a time like this. It is so draining.. good luck and:damnhippie:

T

TreFarmer

I am not only the Alpha Bitch (emphasis on Bitch), but I am the juggernaut!

DAMN! Step back! SeaMaiden is in the house!! People like you put dog trainers outta business:sweating
HERE IS MY FORMULA
POWER
PRESENCE AND
PURPOSE
coupled with
TIMING
CONSISTANCY AND
MOTIVATION!!
It's like Azamax on mites!!

E

ECOutlaw

I would have to agree with Seamaiden that your dog may have something wrong with it but I would not take it to a vet just yet. You need to see someone like TreFarmer suggested. Ed Frawley has a lot of experience but I doubt he would be much help to you being out of state. There are a lot of good trainers and decoys that can help you. You really need to see someone that has worked with hundreds if not thousands of dogs. They will be able to tell you if the behavior is because of something your doing or a problem with the dogs temperment.

H

hemployed

Thanks for the advice, I was pointed in the direction of several different trainers via pm from people who have gone to them.

I have a tentative appointment with Ted Terroux for next week. The initial appointment is two hours... First 40 minutes he said are basically an interrogation on every thing in the dogs life.. gathering as much information as we can about the dog's environment, the household routines, the dog's reactions to everything everywhere they go, the relationships between the people and the dogs - and my (our) perception of the issues.

The next hour is explaining everything that needs to be done with the environment, the relationships, the command structure and the methods used to modify behaviors

Last 20 minutes is used to show us how to work through patterns exercises to address the situations..

Dog is present during this appointment also for an evaluation.

Sound like the right direction?

T

TreFarmer

Thanks for the advice, I was pointed in the direction of several different trainers via pm from people who have gone to them.

I have a tentative appointment with Ted Terroux for next week. The initial appointment is two hours... First 40 minutes he said are basically an interrogation on every thing in the dogs life.. gathering as much information as we can about the dog's environment, the household routines, the dog's reactions to everything everywhere they go, the relationships between the people and the dogs - and my (our) perception of the issues.

The next hour is explaining everything that needs to be done with the environment, the relationships, the command structure and the methods used to modify behaviors

Last 20 minutes is used to show us how to work through patterns exercises to address the situations..

Nice!! Good luck!!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl

Wow, if only doctors and other similar professions took these measures. I'm impressed, very professional, sounds as though he's got a working plan from the beginning (in terms of assessment, like a medical intake) and will be able to devise a good outline and plan for working through this issue.

If only more dog owners took these steps. I'm impressed with you and your choice here.

D

DoobyScoo

You may have Livestock Guardian Dogs.

If so...
Good luck, waiting to see how the 'training' works for you. Problem is, this just might be who they is. And time has finally caught up with them.

I used to have one bad-assed Akita, cancer got him, but don't let Cesar Milan bullshit you, some dogs are just born Alpha. And when two of them enter the cage....

Toker Ace

Toker Ace

I grew up on a farm in Ohio(great place to be FROM). It's interesting to see the problems people will put up with their dogs. I saw probably 100 dogs get the universal tonic for misbehavior by the time I turned 6. At first I hated it but then I came to understand the concept of natural selection. If a dog killed a chicken or duck, tonic. If a dog chased cows, tonic. This had the effect of actually breeding these traits out of dogs. My dad and our neighbors were expert dog trainers. Life was much simpler back then.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Far From the Madding Crowd
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Can't stand the whore! It's actually really difficult for me to get into fiction, I've always got my head into information.

C

chu082011

Dear friends

Thanks for all. I like Dog Trainer for aggressive dog in CO. very much.

Very useful for me.

Rgs

Top Bottom