Doing it like an Animal!

• Thread starter AnimalHouse
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
High! I'm Animal and I like to grow my own weed to smoke, make hash, and make rosin. Been doing this a very long time flying under the radar 😋
I've gotten away from doing grow journals online but with a new room configuration and the addtion of UV I want to document this for future reference and adjustments

I keep it simple, organic, healthy, and use gear and techniques proven time and time again to work very well for me. My grows are typically drama free with no pests or disease and hopefully not too many brain fart fuck ups along the way. I don't get scientific or anything. Though my room has some really cool and effective tech, at the end of the day it's just basic gardening 101.

This is my Summer '21 grow, started July 10, and I'm about 3 or 4 weeks in.
11 plants total right now. 3 strains all from Greenpoint. There's Sundae Batter fem, Banana Fruit Cake fem, and Texas Butter reg.
My grow footprint is a 4' wide x 9' long x 8' high space inside a 10'x10' room

Equipment:
California Lightworks 550 LEDs w/ spectrum/timer controller
CLW UV on a lightrail mover
Remote Control light winches w/ ratchet rope safety catches
1 gallon airpots for veg
7 gallon solid wall ribbed pots for bloom
Deionized RO water with 24/7 UV sterilization and oxygen infusion in a 55 gallon storage barrel
Digital temp/rh/co2 monitor
Blue Lab truncheon meter
3 drop water pH test kit
Five 7" clip on and one 18" wall mount Air King fans
4" inline air intake with bug & dust filter controlled by a cyclestat timer
Two 6" Can Fan inlines for exhaust
ozone generator in outgoing exhaust
40" ceiling fan
Spartan Day/Night thermostat control
Flame Defender fire suppressor
4'x8' black garden tray
2'x2' black garden tray
vertical germination kit
custom wiring job w/ Titan Control timer & electricity distribution
analog ac
green worklight
couple dozen yoyo plant supports + stakes & garden velcro
shopvac to pick up runoff water sitting in the trays after watering

Soils:
Roots Greenfields for starting seeds and veg
Roots Lush for bloom

Nutes:
Neptune's Harvest liquid fish and seaweed
Roots Uprising Bloom & Foundation
Roots Trinity
Great White microherds

seeds

IMG_2918.JPG

soils

IMG_2927.JPG

nutes

IMG_2926.JPG

water filtering, collection, and room delivery system

IMG_2699.JPG

indoor water storage tank with aeration and UV filtering. I do a TDS and pH test just to make sure everything is clean but no adjustments are made to pH. If there's is a reading on the TDS meter then it's time for new filters to get that # to zero

IMG_2892.JPG

vertical germination. I like my sprouts about 3-4" long and nice and straight for ez insertion. They should all have shed their shells during this period as well

IMG_2873.JPG

soils are prewatered and holes bored with the handle end of a garden hand tool

IMG_2874.JPG

planted with the head at the surface and hole collapsed around the tap, it's day 1 of the new grow. I don't wait for sprouts to pop their head up since that happens at the time of planting

IMG_2875.JPG

3 days later all sprouts are off and running

IMG_2887.JPG

IMG_2884.JPG

IMG_2883.JPG

IMG_2883.JPG

shots taken every 2-3 days during these first few weeks

IMG_2893.JPG

IMG_2902.JPG

IMG_2901.JPG

IMG_2906.JPG

IMG_2907.JPG

IMG_2908.JPG

last pic as of today, 8/2/21 and the lighting program they're getting right now

IMG_2904.JPG

IMG_2924.JPG

And oh yeah...I collect FoxFarm art and other cool art to hang in my g/room 😋

IMG_2889.JPG

I'll try to update about every 5-7 days until it goes to cure. Thanks for looking in, feel free to comment or ask anything.
Peace, Love, and Happy Ganja Farming!

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
Looks awesome👍!!!!!!
Thanks Buddy! ✌️
ah hell yeah!! you know i'm here for the show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

your new water system looks badass brother!!!

🤪
Alright alright alright!
That's my Bobby Boucher inspired waterboy system! That thing has been a long overdue addition to the Hideout and so far has been great! No more carrying buckets of water from outside, already at room temp, clean and pure as virgin taint...just fantastic! The weird thing is my plants are drinking better water than I do!🤪
I almost bought some Greenpoint gear I ended up going a different direction last min. Their stuff looks great Im looking forward to seeing this one. 👍
Good to meet ya Backyard Boogie! There's nothing at all I can say negative about Greenpoint gear. Everything I've grown has been outstanding on all points that matter, probably a 99% germ rate, fast shipping, and great customer service. They're working some fine genetics that don't get a lot of hype but they're right there with anything I've tried.
If you do shop them sign up for their email list and wait for a sale. Never pay full price since the sales will be frequent and usually anywhere between 30% and 50% off and they have a tester program for free seeds thru the email list.✌️
How do you make your hash if I don't mind me asking?
High Tracifri...I make hash usually two different ways..Using a tumbler or dry sift table trays. I have been thinking about getting a washer and making bubble hash but that's a backburner project so far back it's not even on the stove yet.
I actually prefer to make and smoke rosin. For that I use a Nugsmasher you might see advertised here on the Farm and have used other types of presses over the years as well. I have another thread devoted to my extracts so you can see more detail to it
That's a hell of a setup, my man. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for stopping in with the kind words Schwer! Some guys are motorcycle guys and some are car guys. I'm a grow room guy 😋

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
Hello animal! Welcome.

Nice setup. What do you think of shatter ?

Thanks Goblinkiller!
I'm a fan of shatter! 🤑 Before getting into rosin I was a BHO blaster. Still have a pretty nice closed column extractor, vac chamber & pump, heat pad etc. I just got away from it trying to go 100% pure with an idea that I only needed heat and pressure for a good extract. I've also found a way to get shatter without dewaxing by pressing kief in rosin bags. It's not quite as brittle as shatter, more of a soft shatter but totally dewaxed and ez to handle

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

Very nice! Would you care to share a picture of the shatter rig?
Only done it once with moonshine (very strong liquor) myself. But my friend is very keen on the idea because its versatile. You can put it in vape cart ,edibles,tobacco etc.

It was very hard shatter made out of leaves and trim. Turned out good.

I wpuld like to try other options with heat and pressure, nugsmasher will be too expensive to import to my country unfortunately

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
Very nice! Would you care to share a picture of the shatter rig?
Only done it once with moonshine (very strong liquor) myself. But my friend is very keen on the idea because its versatile. You can put it in vape cart ,edibles,tobacco etc.

It was very hard shatter made out of leaves and trim. Turned out good.

I wpuld like to try other options with heat and pressure, nugsmasher will be too expensive to import to my country unfortunately

Well nugsmasher isn;t the only press around and there's lots of options on sites like alibaba who ship worldwide. Amazon as well. From DIY kits to ready to go rigs like a nugsmasher there's tons of options out there. 😉
My BHO extractor rig was designed to be used with butane. Alcohol wouldn't work because the column needs to be pressurized by the cans of butane. Alcohol can be used for extraction but it's more of an RSO type extraction.
But here's what my rig looks like

Extractor

The way it works is you load the column with weed and close the top and bottom valves. Then you take a few cans of butane, insert one into the top valve, open the valve and the butane will flow into the column and pressurize it. Repeat severla times until the column is loaded and fully pressurized. Once full and pressurized you close off the top valve and let the butane soak for a spell. I'd usually put the column in the freezer to keep the butane cold and the material brittle so all the trichs come off ez.
After it's soaked for a while then it's placed over a collection bowl and the bottom valve is opened. Then it blasts out all the gas and resin into a sort of soup. Then the soup is heated to around 90F degrees so the butane evaporates. Next it goes into a vacuum chamber to purge the remaining gas from the extraction which takes around 24 hours.
Once complete you have your extract but to get it to turn into shatter it has to be winterized. This is where you can use moonshine, everclear, or isopropyl alcohol. There's a few ways to do that part but it basically involves adding the alcohol to the extract, stir it until all is dissolved, and put it in the freezer for a couple days. The waxes will separate from the extract then you purge off the alcohol and the result will be shatter.
It's a long process and a few of the steps are quite dangerous so when rosin came along and made it so I could have dabs in an hour compared to several days, was much safer, and much cleaner that's what pretty much sealed the fate for me and making BHO

stoneyluv

stoneyluv

gatorade..... hahahahahaha

you need to pipe that water system into your kitchen!!!! i bet wednesday and ollie already drink from the new system!!!!

a BHO cheat... let the "soup" evaporate in room temps takes about an hour, during this slow evap gently agitate the pyrex and all the wax will clump together and can be spooned out prior to pouring it out onto the warm evap tray. you get a little more cleaner product without winterizing it.

i didn't know you still had your rig... i still use the butane you turned me on to the ultra pure 420's... still just as clean it always was. i always test each can on a mirror before blasting and have never had a bad can.

🙃

2Bad

2Bad

Well nugsmasher isn;t the only press around and there's lots of options on sites like alibaba who ship worldwide. Amazon as well. From DIY kits to ready to go rigs like a nugsmasher there's tons of options out there. 😉
My BHO extractor rig was designed to be used with butane. Alcohol wouldn't work because the column needs to be pressurized by the cans of butane. Alcohol can be used for extraction but it's more of an RSO type extraction.
But here's what my rig looks like

View attachment 1153675

The way it works is you load the column with weed and close the top and bottom valves. Then you take a few cans of butane, insert one into the top valve, open the valve and the butane will flow into the column and pressurize it. Repeat severla times until the column is loaded and fully pressurized. Once full and pressurized you close off the top valve and let the butane soak for a spell. I'd usually put the column in the freezer to keep the butane cold and the material brittle so all the trichs come off ez.
After it's soaked for a while then it's placed over a collection bowl and the bottom valve is opened. Then it blasts out all the gas and resin into a sort of soup. Then the soup is heated to around 90F degrees so the butane evaporates. Next it goes into a vacuum chamber to purge the remaining gas from the extraction which takes around 24 hours.
Once complete you have your extract but to get it to turn into shatter it has to be winterized. This is where you can use moonshine, everclear, or isopropyl alcohol. There's a few ways to do that part but it basically involves adding the alcohol to the extract, stir it until all is dissolved, and put it in the freezer for a couple days. The waxes will separate from the extract then you purge off the alcohol and the result will be shatter.
It's a long process and a few of the steps are quite dangerous so when rosin came along and made it so I could have dabs in an hour compared to several days, was much safer, and much cleaner that's what pretty much sealed the fate for me and making BHO
What’s that called looks dope

you need to pipe that water system into your kitchen!!!! i bet wednesday and ollie already drink from the new system!!!!

a BHO cheat... let the "soup" evaporate in room temps takes about an hour, during this slow evap gently agitate the pyrex and all the wax will clump together and can be spooned out prior to pouring it out onto the warm evap tray. you get a little more cleaner product without winterizing it.

i didn't know you still had your rig... i still use the butane you turned me on to the ultra pure 420's... still just as clean it always was. i always test each can on a mirror before blasting and have never had a bad can.

🙃
What is the mirror test

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

Yes bho can be risky. I forgot to say I use the oven to dampen off alcohol. It has worked like a Wonder. Extractions are cool, but I am trying to stay away from explosions and unnecessary risk/hazard :)

Will check out alibaba

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter

🙃
Ol Bob musta never heard of Citrus Cooler Gatorade!! BTW I just ordered a case of that nectar of the Gods for camp this month 😋
Speaking of Bob I ordered some waterboy stickers for my tank. It's gonna crack you up man 🤪
Yeah I still have my blaster rig and everything. There's still probably 3-4 cans of N-Butane in the deep freeze too. Sometimes I think about using it or maybe listing it on ebay but just never got around to it. Everytime I think I'll make BHO again I say fuck it and start squishing nugs 🙃
I use the digital heating pad sometimes for other things and the vacuum pump came in real handy when I installed our mini split AC for the house but yeah the rest of it's all boxed up in my garage along with all sorts of other BHO gear I accumulated over the years.

What’s that called looks dope

What is the mirror test

High 2Bad....It's a closed column BHO extractor. It's the small model sold by Best Value Vacs ✌️

Yes bho can be risky. I forgot to say I use the oven to dampen off alcohol. It has worked like a Wonder. Extractions are cool, but I am trying to stay away from explosions and unnecessary risk/hazard :)

Will check out alibaba

Yeah there's sometimes I'd be making BHO and kinda felt like I was making a bomb. Which I kinda was! 🤪 I was always as safe as possible but still.
I meant ali express but shit man alibaba probably works too 😋

>
<
>
<
Got a little update to share. I installed the 3rd CLW light yesterday and noticed the 2020 light is quite different from my 2016 and 2018 models.
They've changed the white diodes and diode layout.
I've sent an email to CLW asking what's up with the change and what I should expect but basically the new diodes strip down the blurple and make it a brighter white and when set to view mode which is white only the 2016/18 white looks like HPS and the 2020 looks CMH.
The good thing is they're all talking to each other with the data cables and controller so I'm good to go there but still wondering about the diode changes especially since there's no mention of it on the CLW website, it's blogs, or youtube channel.
I've also decided to use two UV lamps after finding an old t5ho fixture in a box but more on that later when the second UV bulb arrives and I build the light.

The plants are in a rapid growth pattern and showing the effects of the airpots air pruning the roots. It's a push and pull sort of thing where as roots are trimmed there's a little stress but as new roots branch from the airpruned main roots they spurt out vigorous growth which can be seen in the branching.
The increase of red spectrum is also getting the roots to be prolific in growth so when these ladies go to flower they should explode in the 7 gallon pots. One thing I learned a long time ago is when I do a good job taking care of the root zone and making sure it's as healthy as possible, everything that's green pretty much takes care of itself so that's why my focus during veg is more about what's going on with the roots than anything else.

It's finally time to top, prune, sculpt these plants to mainline the branching and a few days later upcan and flip to flower
So far thru veg they've used 25 gallons of water, 2oz of fish and seaweed, and 1/2oz of Great White

IMG 2941

IMG 2943

IMG 2944

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
How you like your solarsystem? Do you notice differences from the cheaper ones of other brands ?
I like the solarsystem lights a lot Goblinker. Got into one about 5 years ago when they first came out and it really impressed me on performance and versatility. At the time I was using T5HO and CMH with LED supplement. I had lights ranging from 50 watts to 315 with adjustable settings and lamps for various stages to get thru a single grow. This one light replaced all of that in one smallish ez to use custom spectra fixture. Then the results came and I knew I found the perfect light for how I like to grow and the results I'm looking for in a harvest. It just took time for me to complete the 3 light array because they cost so much so I always waited on sales. I vowed I'd never pay full retail of $900 and would never pay more than $600 for a new one. It took a lot of patience lol.

I've had various LEDs over the years and hands down CLW has always had the best lights of what I've tried out.
Some are total garbage, some are good, and some are great. Some get very hot and some run very cool. Some last year and some die within months. Some, most in fact, are only good for veg and come up short in flower. Some produce nice bud but lack oil and resin production which is always my main focus on results. Big buds lacking potency suck. I'd rather have an ounce of fire weed over a pound of shit that takes two joints to get me high.
I've also had at one time every model CLW has made going back to 2009 when they were making lights for Custom Automated Products producing a veg light they called the C.A.P. Xtreme. Their lights have always been top of the line and each series has surpassed the previous.

The only CLW I do not like is the SolarXtreme COB lights because it needs a lot of head room and is less than ideal for tents or grow cabs. And I'm not a fan of COB at all due to the lack of terps and resin oils that come with COB light grows. CLW uses Osram diodes which are like the Mercedes Benz of horticulture LED and their COB is a big step back from that high standard.

Large rail style fixture are also not my jam. I was using them back before HLG came along, using Illumitex NeoSol which is the predecessor of Fluence, and didn't like the size and lack of versatility. Great lights but heavy and cumbersome.
I also use movers sometimes so the bigger a fixture is the more hassle it is to put it on a mover.
Personally I think CLW solarsystem is in the top 3 of grow lights out there but the cost keeps them out of too many grow rooms to really prove it.
I also heard back from CLW on the change to solarsystems diode layout and new white light diodes. It was done to gain 5% more efficiency from previous models so nothing to worry about there. My plants are loving the thing so if my plants are happy then I'm happy 😋

Last edited:
Top Bottom