Dolomite Lime Question, If my soil is naturally 6.5/6.6 and I had to add dolomite lime.. would i lower the PH of my water?

• Thread starter J1XD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

@J1XD

@ComfortablyNumb has a watering tutorial that works like a charm. Frequently, over-watering (which is actually watering too often) is the culprit with issues like you're having. Watering too often interferes with nutrient uptake and causes root issues. I'm going to pass the ball back to "CN." He's spot on with what he's said and he'll help you through this. Please remember to post those root pics.

J1XD

J1XD

No worries man. Calm down. You didn't kill it. You're going to save it here. Get it out and rinse the roots clean and check their color at the same time. Take a couple of pix for us.

In the same 3 gal, hang the plant over the pot so that the roots are hanging down into the pot. Slowly fill the pot, keeping the roots spread as much as possible. Fill it right to a finger width of the brim. Put a finger width of stem into the pot hanging down.
Thank you for the courage :), im doing this as soon as i get home

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Once you've transplanted it, it will need to be watered. Use dry soil in transplants, mud is useless.
Put some golf balls or marbles under the pots to make sure you have a full inch of airflow under each pot. It will help avoid root rot.

Basic Watering

Watering SOIL

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

When you use a living soil, the pH is chosen beforehand. You decide on what pH it should be and mix in the correct amount of lime to hit that pH. Any more will throw it off.
6.5 on the nose is hard to come by. I would never mess with that. Once you have room, you can make your own and adjust to your own preferences.
Last time I slurry tested ours it was 6.4 which is just fine for organics.
Anything above 6.2 will not have calcium issues.

Last edited:
J1XD

J1XD

When you use a living soil, the pH is chosen beforehand. You decide on what pH it should be and mix in the correct amount of lime to hit that pH. Any more will throw it off.
6.5 on the nose is hard to come by. I would never mess with that. Once you have room, you can make your own and adjust to your own preferences.
Last time I slurry tested ours it was 6.4 which is just fine for organics.
Anything above 6.2 will not have calcium issues.
Ok so I cleaned the roots off the best I could I was super gentle. Some roots came out during removing it from the pot Soni guess those can't be helped. I did what was said above and held the plant until I filled it up. Only thing I added as earth worm castings. Now I'ma try to water it with ,6.5 pH water. Untangling them was a challenge but I did the best I could to separate the roots from each other

IMG 20220210 185711
IMG 20220210 185705
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Those are beautiful. You are going to have a really happy plant in a couple of days.
Don't add anything, just water for now, and let's see what it does. Then we can adjust if necessary.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

The white is what you want. There is some light brown at the capillaries but that could be excess dirt. Scummy, slimy brown roots are root rot and will kill your plant. Lets see it after replanting.

J1XD

J1XD

The white is what you want. There is some light brown at the capillaries but that could be excess dirt. Scummy, slimy brown roots are root rot and will kill your plant. Lets see it after replanting.
Ok So I want to say it was fine from root rot I slightly dried it just a pinch in front of the fan just enough to untangle The Roots I was able to untangle the roots and I was able to get a more clean and there were more so white I can't recall before I putting it back in there any issues with any kind of slimy Brown roots because I did wash it off a little more from in the picture and I was able to separate it more so I did put it in there and I have pictures of the repot

IMG 20220210 192340
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Excellent. Now take the 3 worst leaves off. They don't heal anyway, so let's get rid of distractions.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

You just did the most difficult thing in growing. Transplanting freaks many people out. You got it down now.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

You just did the most difficult thing in growing. Transplanting freaks many people out. You got it down now.
They may still take a few days to move in, but once they have things will turn around for you. Once that happens, they should start growing rather quickly. Rock on ... Oh, and get yourself that moisture meter. You can find them right around $10 so its a small investment that will reap many rewards.

Crazyman1212

Crazyman1212

All that organic stuff. I bought the soil premixed locally and it's prebaked. The brand is Kingman. It has the peat and bat ish and all those meals and minerals in it. I did add mycorrhizae and extra earth worm castings. And added some all purpose 4-4-4 as a top spread and dolomite lime. But I'm just did this yesterday. The issues been a few days now
Just to throw this out there if you use mychorrazie make sure your using endomycorrhizae and not ectomycorrhizae.

Top Bottom