Dolomite Lime

• Thread starter StrwbryCough
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
StrwbryCough

StrwbryCough

Hey friends. My soil ph is low around 4.0. I just bought dolomite lime to correct it but I'm unsure on how much to use. My plant is in a 17 gallon bucket. Can anyone help me with that?

Also I'm not sure how often I'm supposed to be fertalizing. I just got new fertalizer called nectar of the gods and introduced it to my plant yesterday. I have only given it once in half dose. Should I feed the other half dose today? Then after that how often?
Thank you

derkaderk

derkaderk

I would scratch in maybe 1-1&1/2 cups of lime for your pot. Start with 1 cup this week, then ph the runoff....then see if you need to add the rest.

As for feeding, I usually only feed every other watering....and depending on how fast your plants and environment dry out your pot you could only need to water or feed every 3 days.....

I would make sure that you're allowing the soil to adequately dry between feeding/watering

Today I would let them chill if you fed yesterday. Wait till they dry a bit, then maybe go 3/4 strength next feed, wait till the soil dries a bit, and then plain water....basically I feed every other watering with 2-3 days in between.....

Some people prefer feed, feed, water....so you'll have to listen and watch your plants for what they want.

StrwbryCough

StrwbryCough

I would scratch in maybe 1-1&1/2 cups of lime for your pot. Start with 1 cup this week, then ph the runoff....then see if you need to add the rest.

As for feeding, I usually only feed every other watering....and depending on how fast your plants and environment dry out your pot you could only need to water or feed every 3 days.....

I would make sure that you're allowing the soil to adequately dry between feeding/watering

Today I would let them chill if you fed yesterday. Wait till they dry a bit, then maybe go 3/4 strength next feed, wait till the soil dries a bit, and then plain water....basically I feed every other watering with 2-3 days in between.....

Some people prefer feed, feed, water....so you'll have to listen and watch your plants for what they want.
Thank you for your feedback! I water my plant once a day. It's an outside plant and has been really hot in my area lately. The soil does seem to try out pretty good between waterings.

Tnelz

Tnelz

I agree with the above posters. Their advice was pretty spot on in my opinion. However if u can get oyster shell flour or meal is suggest u go that route. It is a better product that won't tighten up ur soil. Nothing wrong with lime. Except it's got a ton of magnesium and can really make ur soil tight and that's no bueno. I've used plenty of lime in my day for sure with great results. But oyster shells are better. Just giving u an alternative.

StrwbryCough

StrwbryCough

Do you think I am watering her too much? I use a 2 gallon watering can.

StrwbryCough

StrwbryCough

And are you saying that I should feed nutrients every other day or every 4 days?

waayne

waayne

@StrwbryCough With a PH of 4.o I'd use oyster shell and hardwood ash ,instead of lime to raise the PH...
Large quantities of lime can disrupt the biological activity and soil bennies,the ash on the other hand will encourage soil bennies.....
Lime is typically used because it's cheap and readily available.but oyster shell and hardwood ash have many positive advantages over lime...

StrwbryCough

StrwbryCough

@StrwbryCough With a PH of 4.o I'd use oyster shell and hardwood ash ,instead of lime to raise the PH...
Large quantities of lime can disrupt the biological activity and soil bennies,the ash on the other hand will encourage soil bennies.....
Lime is typically used because it's cheap and readily available.but oyster shell and hardwood ash have many positive advantages over lime...
Thank you I'll order some.

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
Add 2 tablespoons of dolomite lime per gallon of soil. Mix it in well.
Best of luck.
Peace

StrwbryCough

StrwbryCough

So do I need both of them? (Oyster shells, and hardwood ash) And how much of both do I use when I get it?

Power OG

Power OG

So do I need both of them? (Oyster shells, and hardwood ash) And how much of both do I use when I get it?
No you dnt need both, ouster shell next round. Also you can feed twice a week or every other water just watch her see how she responds

waayne

waayne

@StrwbryCough Use 1 cup of hardwood ash for every 5 gallons of soil

Tnelz

Tnelz

It's awesome when God echos ur advice. Ur the man bro. And thanks for the extra tie bit on the ash. Respect.

Skovi

Skovi

How are you testing your soil pH? 4.0 is unusually low. How did it get that low? Are you sure there wasn't an error in your testing procedure?

DrFever

DrFever

I would stay away from dolomite lime fertilizer all together unless you have your soil tested ...
The problem with dolomite lime? It has a calcium to magnesium ratio of 2:1. That’s way too much magnesium for most soils. Magnesium is certainly an essential mineral. Too much of it, however, causes many problems, compaction being one of the most common, but also pest and weed problems.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

can you explain this further please? and have been instructed by many many growers to add DL as a ph buffer without any mention of what your talking about.

ive been adding 1 cup per bag of FFOF for 4+ years now and ive never seen a pest come from it, nor any weeds (minus the one that I purposely grow), or compaction. I also add a 1/3 bag of chunky perlite as well, so this may help with the compaction aspect of what your talking about.

I

Latest posts

Top Bottom