Dominant/Recessive Traits

• Thread starter Jarofunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jarofunk

Jarofunk

When breeding some strain's characteristics shine through much stronger and more frequently than others. What strains/traits have you all noticed to be either very dominant or very recessive?

In everything I've seen Bubba (Katsu) seems to be a very dominant mother. Nug structure, smell, and potency seem to dominate almost every time. And the OGs, goddamn the OGs. The taste and smell of OG must be the most recessive trait there is. I don't think I've seen a single OG hybrid exhibiting those traits.

What say you farmers?

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
I agree with the Bubba Dominance, but my Banana Split OG almost gets mistaken for straight OG, some people call it lemon og...
And my rOarGe has more stench than most OG's...but I did start many beans to find em, but smelled a ton of variation of OG odors. I think it depends which genetics you hybridize the OG with. All the Wifi I've seen has the lack of odor that the White can offer but def have the frost the White has, but upon enough sprouted Wifi beans people find the stinky OGness in there.
The purple genetics tend to take over a plant as far as structure, lack of jump in transition to flwr, and they ripen sooner, some don't turn all purple but they tend to b the visible majority of observable traits.

Also when hybridizing, dependent on the male, the female tends to lend a bit more to the offspring in my experience. The father plant def offers up some spice for sure just seems the female is most recognizable in the offspring usually.

It's always a roll of the dice when recombining dna, some of those recessive traits tend to be the sweetest, most rare too, and can keep a herb as distinct or different as can be ime. Due to the variability of genetic recombination, it's crucial to bring together genetics that are from opposite sides of the spectrum for a true hybrid vigor and new genetic combos...
The new age era of combining sour d and og and chemdog over and over are locking in some undesirable traits like powdery mildew and others depending on what you find desirable for your grow room. I think those og and sour d and dog genetics are nice but would do better long term with some new blending to some ibls or differing genetics, i.e. (outcrossing/hybridizing vs. inbreeding....).
Gotta rip this bowl and eat this waffle!

symbiote420

symbiote420

Yeah Jaro that bubba kush dominates the hell out of whatever it touches, the final prod is definitely worth the slower growth and lower yields. A couple strains I'm running now have bubba in them...Kushplant, R13 x Heri, and they though they haven't stated it, I'm growing DNA's LA Con and it has a pheno that is almost an exact copy to bubba, it's just a little tastier.

I

Indicas4me

Also when hybridizing, dependent on the male, the female tends to lend a bit more to the offspring in my experience. The father plant def offers up some spice for sure just seems the female is most recognizable in the offspring usually.

I just asked this in my last post,and you already had the answer here.I was wondering how influential the males were in breeding...Thanks

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

it is said that the father gives more aromas to the offspring. this is why classic hybrids are mainly indy mom and satty males. im also a true believer of mom dominating a cross. i usually use the same raito that the fems give as far as gems per given amount and apply with the males then match traits accordingly. if out of 10beans m/f and get only 1 gem, i wont use males of this stock as the good ones are far and wide(can be promising if time permitted). im using small numbers for simplicity but of 10 beans 5 fems and 2 keepers, its worth looking far a male of that stock.

Jarofunk

Jarofunk

one of my friends is growing out some Bubba x Neville's Haze/Trainwreck right now. The Neville's Haze/Trainwreck male has been very dominant in other crosses so far. It should be interesting to see how things go. There could be some serious variation in the 4 females he has. Dominant indica mother meets dominant sativa father.

N

nughugger

When breeding some strain's characteristics shine through much stronger and more frequently than others. What strains/traits have you all noticed to be either very dominant or very recessive?

In everything I've seen Bubba (Katsu) seems to be a very dominant mother. Nug structure, smell, and potency seem to dominate almost every time. And the OGs, goddamn the OGs. The taste and smell of OG must be the most recessive trait there is. I don't think I've seen a single OG hybrid exhibiting those traits.

What say you farmers?
I do agree og taste and smell doesn't come out well In most og outcrosses progeny. But when I used my fire og bx male I pollinated my keeper kosher kush results were not very og so I used a kosher fire male to pollinate the florida og. The og really came out in all the progeny. So I guess if you want og seeds try these lines together ive gotten the best og kush reg seeds out of it my keeper pheno is a fire leaner with more greese than any ive ever seen including sfv posion tahoe ghost haog I call my new og the kiff shes badass

lino

lino

Lets get our terms and definition of those terms correct fellas. Ive been messing up these Terms and defining wrong lately so lets freshen up on dominance and recessive, we're incorrectly using most of the time. I say these term incorrect many times also.

Dominance -
Recessive -
Co-Dominance - which is abundant in cannabis.

Pheno
Geno

I'll throw down a Cannabis breeding equations and a Dom Rec Cannabis breeding tutorial on-

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/the-fat-leaf-breeding-project.88219/page-4#post-1944095

The pollen chuckers usually have the thinking of, that Dom traits will breed out or eliminate Rec traits.. Wrong, those are the incorrect words to be using if your Think you have breed out a trait or stabilized a trait or entire genome in a strain to produce uniform and stable plants. Ill show some examples over on;

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/the-fat-leaf-breeding-project.88219/page-4#post-1944095

Top Bottom