Do's & Don't Do's for build out???

• Thread starter twist1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
twist1

twist1

Hello all. I was just wondering if there is a simple Do & Don't Do list regarding the construction stage. I've been trying to look at as many pictures of rooms during construction as I can..... I'm just curious if there are some common mistakes that people make?
Or things that you would like to have done differently for your build?

I am planning on lining the studs with plastic prior to the sheetrock to help seal the rooms better.
I will also do the greenboard type sheetrock, typically used in bathrooms because it is more mold resistant.

I will be priming and painting of course (flat).

I like the idea of mylar, but like everything--- it has it's downside ie: tear-able, flimsy, non-washable and I've read about hot spots. I will be doing vertical lighting (if it matters).

Doors will open out.

I will be doing the electrical on the exterior of the studs (opposed to inside the walls). It will be easier to run and I think it will allow for a tighter seal of the room.

Concrete floors are already painted. I may end up putting a two part on there as well. We'll see how over budget I go:bawling:

Thanks for your input. I appreciate any and all help.

Oh, here is a drawing of what the flower room/s will be.

View attachment Flower.pdf
GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Maybe Reflectix on the walls... instead of mylar? I'm planning on applying it in my room after seeing so many growers on here use it.

J

Jalisco Kid

You own the place or renting?
Paint is much better the reflective material.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Consider using housewrap (like tyvek) instead of plastic on the studs,its waterproof but breathes at the same time.
I like orcafilm but reflectix is great too,if you go this route just prime walls with kilz or similar primer.Flat white is just fine also reflectivity wise.
A two part epoxy will not go down well over paint on the floor,just throw another coat of paint on it if your worried about looks/cleanliness,you wont gain much else reflectivity wise from the floor if thats your thought.
Good idea on the electrical outside the wall but make sure its all in conduit (I wish i did it this way myself)
Seems your on the right track,buy twice as much caulk as you think you will need,good luck!

twist1

twist1

I almost bought tyvec today. But than I looked it up, and like you say---- it's water resistant, but breathable. Kinds of defeats the purpose of using it as another sealing aid for the room???? I spent like a half hour at home depot debating the tyvec and 6 ml plastic. Needless to say, I left with neither. LOL!

Yes, I was thinking of the conduit as well.

What about insulation in between the walls? I'm in the basement.

J

Jalisco Kid

Since you are a renter it narrows things. I like sinking my rez's, unless you are a dick or have a cool landlord thats out.You can pay for insulation or run your a/c more. I like to silicon my first layer on which would be sound board. Then a 5/8 drywall. HD has an exterior primer/ paint in one can. I would not use this on the exterior in most places but great for a grow room. Tamper proof screws can save you a lot of money considering how lazy people are. I like a clean room the least I see wire and pipe the better. Always look for marine grade electrical if you can afford it.Water proof tape(Great for repairing broken branches also),and underground wire nuts. Seal all outlets with gaskets. Buy the best water pump,a/c, humidifier you can afford. If you have not painted the floor yet you might want to read an article I will post up about groundcover. Buy and store your preventatives and have a first aid kit so you will have it when you need it. Have 3x the money you imagined. JK

twist1

twist1

Have 3x the money you imagined. JK

NICE!!!

Landlord is pretty cool. I doubt they will be visiting much, if ever. Even though they live a few blocks away.

What kind of insulation do you mean?

Preventatives? As in what--- nutes?

TY!

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Use regular hi R value insulation if in standard stud framing,the tyvek works great beleive me,using it helps prevent mold as it breathes.If your worried about losing co2 just make sure you caulk the shit out of everything,shouldnt have to worry about outlets if you use external conduit except where it passes through walls,buy caulk by the case,lol.

J

Jalisco Kid

Preventives like K silicate or sulfur burners. Peroxide,physan 20 or naccosan, some miticide if you accept clones,eagle 20 for clones. I dose cuts I think I want and grow them elsewheres. I then will take a cut from them once i know I am not bringing in death to my rooms. Extra pump,breaker,bulbs,ballast,bug traps ect.
You need to be able to repair, adjust, when and what needed. You are now the patron, and I find nothing breaks or goes bad when the stores are open. JK

Top Bottom