Dose anyone grow fruit n veg in your back yards .

• Thread starter One drop
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mashy

mashy

Preserves from today - gotta build up the winter supplies. Pickled cucumber with chilli and garlic, and zucchini sweet mustard pickles. Yum!
IMG20210209214618

mashy

mashy

getting ready to purchase a spray for my pear, plum, and cherry trees and am wondering if anyone has used this dormant oil spray before and if it, and the rest of their line of products, is actually safe/organic? and would you recommend this or another/better organic product? thanks!

Bonide All Seasons Horticultural and Dormant Spray Oil
Hi @HarryHood, hope you are well. The oil you linked is mineral oil, my understanding is that is petroleum based and definitely not organic. When I spray horticultural oil I use Neem oil which is organic and biodegradable. BUT, still be careful how you use it. Oil is an indiscriminate killer and will take out beneficial insects too such as ladybugs and mantis. I try to target my problem - BT spray regime for my apples to target cabbage moth, Bordeaux mix for apricots because I know my treat is vulnerable to scab. I try to limit oil to when I have scale that is not being kept under control by predators. There are some pretty good spray regimes online for all types of trees and problems that help me a lot.
Good luck 😊

HarryHood

HarryHood

Hi @HarryHood, hope you are well. The oil you linked is mineral oil, my understanding is that is petroleum based and definitely not organic. When I spray horticultural oil I use Neem oil which is organic and biodegradable. BUT, still be careful how you use it. Oil is an indiscriminate killer and will take out beneficial insects too such as ladybugs and mantis. I try to target my problem - BT spray regime for my apples to target cabbage moth, Bordeaux mix for apricots because I know my treat is vulnerable to scab. I try to limit oil to when I have scale that is not being kept under control by predators. There are some pretty good spray regimes online for all types of trees and problems that help me a lot.
Good luck 😊
thank you for the information and suggestions, mashy. i will research some spray regimens and see what i come up with. getting excited for spring!

mashy

mashy

View attachment 1100454
I have been using Michael Phillips regiment for the past few years. Here is a link to the recipe as well as sprays to combat certain pests and disease

Renowned organic tree fruit grower and author Michael Phillips recommends a “holistic” spray regimen

Thanks very much, I'll have a look. Good to know there are plenty of people here who have similar gardening philosophies. Have fun!

HarryHood

HarryHood

Oh, and some of the most effective spraying is done whilst the trees are dormant and at bud set, so don't wait too long @HarryHood!
yeah, definitely looking to spray within the next few weeks while still dormant. got sidetracked this winter with other projects and am playing catch-up

thanks Homesteader! exactly what i was looking for. gonna order that book today. do they touch upon companion planting with fruit trees, bushes, etc. in the book?

Homesteader

Homesteader

He talks about companion planting for beneficial insects but perhaps for other reasons too. I don't think you'll be upset with the purchase although much of his information is around on youtube and such if you want to look into before buying

mashy

mashy

I'll have mine off this weekend love a good QLDBlue
There the ones! Just curing in the sun until Easter then stored for winter soups and roasts. How are your outdoor plants going @One drop? Mine still have white pistils and look to be at least a few weeks away.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
There the ones! Just curing in the sun until Easter then stored for winter soups and roasts. How are your outdoor plants going @One drop? Mine still have white pistils and look to be at least a few weeks away.
Harvest the first ones in the bigger pots got about 12 more in smaller pots just browsing up and stinking sweet

SSgrower

SSgrower

Here on the coastal bend of Texas we have a Pear tree blooming just like the tree Michael was pictured in above,Lol. I enjoy greenhouse more than outdoor so far.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Pumpkins are harvested just enough for the winter cold .... Queensland blue never fail .

IMG 20210328 194754 951
IMG 20210328 194754 954
Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Well it been a fortnight science I posted this thread and a bit has happened in my garden , both the pullets have grown nicely and have now taking place in the hen house I'll keep them in there till they start to lay by that the they will be to big to fly far and I can let them onto the small fruit orchid in working on

I've managed to get my water tanks plumbed in and had lots of rain in last 2 weeks one tank filled one with 300 lts .Free water getting my crops off grid ...

Previous crops of carrots , peas , snow peas , spinach ,radish ,beans are all doing well this week I planted out winter greens , cauliflower, broccoli, cabbages ,borardbean straight drill to ground ,

Do what's been going on in your veg patch .
What kind of roof does that outbuilding have? Thae one that collects rain water

Top Bottom