Double Chillers on the UCE

• Thread starter redwhiteblue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue

I'm looking to build a new space and I was considering combining multiple 9 site UCs into larger configurations...2x 18 sites, so 3 rows of six modules, and getting some bigger pumps.

I have 4x 1/4 hp chillers laying around - I was thinking of connecting each 3/4" return line from the end of the UC into a chiller, so a chiller on either side of the epicenter, and then connecting the chiller outlets with a y connector and having that water flow into the epi.

Good idea or just toss the 1/4 hp's and get the big ass chiller?

deacon1503

deacon1503

I like redundancy when it comes to chillers and the UC for realiability mainly as I know running 4 chillers isn't as efficient as 1 larger one but you can run into issues with the cooling btu transfer rate using multiple cool coils with some of the larger systems. There is a recent thread on that.

Last UC I did was an 8 site 13gal with a 1 hp ecoplus commercial. It did just ok so just make sure ur cooling math is accurate. Always place the circ pump as close to the intake of the chiller as possible. Maybe run one chiller on your UC recirc line and the other as a dedicated cooling loop pulling from one end and pushing cold water to the other. Regardless you wanna have enough chilling power to take however many gallons of UC u have down to at least the temp range of mid-50s.

Good luck.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I suggest that you look at REAL chillers for your application, not 1/4 toys linked in series or some such. How many lights are you going to run? Will you have two or more spaces on a flip schedule? If you can manage the latter, you can gain some important advantages by going with chilling for your ENTIRE cooling plant, not just chilling your water buckets.

I have found through personal experience that water chillers as your main system of shedding heat is a more integrated, more efficient, less costly, less complicated and more reliable than multiple individual units managing only part of your cooling needs, and working against one another.

With just 4 Tons of cooling capacity, one can keep 16-20kW of open and unvented bloom lighting cool. Just 2 Tons of chilling cools 16kW of sealed and vented hoods cooled (8kW each on a flip), dehumidified AND RDWC systems temperature controlled, unless there is an excess summer heat load, then it slides to about 14kW total.

Yes, they are an expensive initial investment- but then you're done. No buying a dehuey, no need for a small chiller to cool water. Add all that up- and their power consumption- and a bigger water chilling plant to handle all the chores suddenly makes a lot of sense.

redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue

I suggest that you look at REAL chillers for your application, not 1/4 toys linked in series or some such. How many lights are you going to run? Will you have two or more spaces on a flip schedule? If you can manage the latter, you can gain some important advantages by going with chilling for your ENTIRE cooling plant, not just chilling your water buckets.

I have found through personal experience that water chillers as your main system of shedding heat is a more integrated, more efficient, less costly, less complicated and more reliable than multiple individual units managing only part of your cooling needs, and working against one another.

With just 4 Tons of cooling capacity, one can keep 16-20kW of open and unvented bloom lighting cool. Just 2 Tons of chilling cools 16kW of sealed and vented hoods cooled (8kW each on a flip), dehumidified AND RDWC systems temperature controlled, unless there is an excess summer heat load, then it slides to about 14kW total.

Yes, they are an expensive initial investment- but then you're done. No buying a dehuey, no need for a small chiller to cool water. Add all that up- and their power consumption- and a bigger water chilling plant to handle all the chores suddenly makes a lot of sense.

This sounds fantastic - can you please direct me to some literature, product websites or videos so I can familiarize myself with how to design, hook it up, etc? Do I need an HVAC pro to build it?

Also, I'm confused how we went from HP to Tons - we're still talking the same machines or no?

ttystikk

ttystikk

This sounds fantastic - can you please direct me to some literature, product websites or videos so I can familiarize myself with how to design, hook it up, etc? Do I need an HVAC pro to build it?

Also, I'm confused how we went from HP to Tons - we're still talking the same machines or no?

Hp and Tons are two different measures of the same thing, cooling capacity. Hp is just smaller than Tons, so don't let the salespeople fool you.

I believe one of the biggest advantages to chilling is that if you can hook up water lines and use hose clamps, you can install one. All the Freon stays in the unit, you just plumb the water lines to and from where you need the cooling.

Go to Hydro Innovations and tell them I sent you. Yes, it's an expensive initial outlay- that will pay you back every hour you run it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom